WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yes. Anything that increases your range of motion, flexibility, strength, etc. will have a positive impact on balance. You lose your balance when you can't keep your weight over your center of gravity. The weaker and less flexible you are, the sooner this happens given any particular set of motions. I'd add that hiking poles can be an good balance aid as well. That said, there are a few places where due to the nature of the trail you have to stow them to be able to use your hands.
    Hmmm .... flexibility can be a mixed bag. I say that as someone who is hyper flexible. Its more important to balance strength and flexibility, and it is a balancing act. Pun intended. When I increased flexibility faster than strength, I started having more balance problems and more injuries for hiking, strength is more critical than flexibility when it comes to balance, as I understand it. Any pt's reading this who can confirm or negate this?
    Flexibility helps when it comes to peeing and pooping in the wild. And it is useful when climbing, where the more flexibility you have, the more choices for foot and hand holds.
    I really recommend an evaluation of the balance problem.
    And bringing self awareness into any practice you undertake. By that, I mean, don't just take yoga classes and do what you are told. Pay attention to your own goals. If a class seems to be more focused on flexibility than strength and /or balance, back off on pushing flexibility until your strength catches up. Or add weight training to the mix, with emphasis on leg strength.

Journal Entries

Super excellent advice about the training, but seems your real deficiency is in knowledge about hiking. My experience is that just about anyone can thru-hike if they're willing. I would suggest a few off trail hikes (with an experienced hiker) will give you the confidence to undertake the trail. The training will help you physically but off trail (especially if you get yourself lost a time or two) will help you mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by SueJhiker View Post
    Sometimes I have difficulty with balance. I was wondering if maybe yoga would help with that?
    My wife does pilates rather than yoga, but she says that yoga does really help with balance. Personally, I left weights to strengthen the core.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    ...Flexibility helps when it comes to peeing and pooping in the wild....
    Note to self...if there is such a thing as reincarnation and there is one life lesson to remember when choosing your next path, just remember this: Never come back as a female....It's great to be a guy

I started the trail at age 51 and 50 pounds overweight. What can I say, I own an ice cream shop. I did a lot of day hikes for a year before my thru, but in Florida, so no hills. I got winded walking up the jetway from the plane that dropped my out of shape ass off in Atlanta. I turned 52 on the trail, started slow, was brutalized by the terrain in Georgia, got stronger, ate anything I wanted, hiked it thru, and lost 43 pounds. At the beginning nobody thought I would make it out of Georgia. Only you get to decide if you finish. And nobody can tell by looking at someone if they will or won't finish. 54 is NOT old. There were plenty of older and stronger hikers out there. My advice would be to get the lightest gear you can afford, don't listen to negative people, and just go for it. Enjoy each day of the incredible FREEDOM backpacking gives you and whether you hike 6 months or 6 days, it is your experience to keep forever. As far as the really technical parts- you can do them all. Someone said to us just before Mahoosuc- ( to one of the hikers who had a fear of heights) "Decide. Are you going to be scared or are you going to have fun? Because you have to go through it so decide now." So we all chose fun. And it was fun! Just be careful and thoughtful about what you are doing- you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I started the trail at age 51 and 50 pounds overweight. What can I say, I own an ice cream shop. I did a lot of day hikes for a year before my thru, but in Florida, so no hills. I got winded walking up the jetway from the plane that dropped my out of shape ass off in Atlanta. I turned 52 on the trail, started slow, was brutalized by the terrain in Georgia, got stronger, ate anything I wanted, hiked it thru, and lost 43 pounds. At the beginning nobody thought I would make it out of Georgia. Only you get to decide if you finish. And nobody can tell by looking at someone if they will or won't finish. 54 is NOT old. There were plenty of older and stronger hikers out there. My advice would be to get the lightest gear you can afford, don't listen to negative people, and just go for it. Enjoy each day of the incredible FREEDOM backpacking gives you and whether you hike 6 months or 6 days, it is your experience to keep forever. As far as the really technical parts- you can do them all. Someone said to us just before Mahoosuc- ( to one of the hikers who had a fear of heights) "Decide. Are you going to be scared or are you going to have fun? Because you have to go through it so decide now." So we all chose fun. And it was fun! Just be careful and thoughtful about what you are doing- you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Very wise words from someone who just got through hiking the trail.

BonBon did it her way (I really enjoyed following your journal, BonBon! Thank you!) and she appeared to be having an amazing time doing it. Ya just gotta be open to accepting what the trail has to offer cuz even the hard parts have amazing beauty to them! One step at a time and you shall get there.

Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by paule View Post
    I met a gentleman in Connecticut this summer,he was 75 and told me this was his third thru hike.It was about 11 am and he said he just came from the last shelter and that was about 8 miles away.I asked his pack weight and he told me around 40 to 45 pounds.He left Georgia on feb.28th and this was the second week in july.
    Sounds like you ran into "PA" as in Gandpa. I crossed paths with him at Gren Anderson shelter in NJ. He said he was doing one more thru hike before he got old and couldn't do it again. On my week out I passed a women easily in her 70's - section hiker - she told me she hikes every year the month of May. Both of these elder hikers had the same great attitude I wish I had the time for. The both told me the same thing. "Look I'm out here enjoying myself: I go as far as I want- when I see a great view I stop and look as long as I wish, when I decided to go I go if I stay I stay. I'm in no hurry so when I get there I get there." Oh to be retired - or have no cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Back on the trail View Post
    ...Oh to be retired - or have no cares.
    I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you want to have "no cares" when you retire, take care of your health and save lots of money. Those are the two main "cares" when you reach my age -- health and outliving your resources.

Shutterbug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you want to have "no cares" when you retire, take care of your health and save lots of money. Those are the two main "cares" when you reach my age -- health and outliving your resources.
    A lot of wisdom in the above. Most of us will retire on an income well below what we were earning during our working years. And while our expenses go down due to (hopefully) not supporting adult children, work/commute expenses, downsized homes, etc., our healthcare expenses generally go up, and inflation eats away at the rest. But we really have to continue to "care" a lot about planning and budgeting.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    "Start slow and taper off." Seen on a runner's t-shirt many moons ago. It works. After a few weeks your "Slow" will be faster than when you started. You will be stronger and hopefully injury free.
    Stay dry. Stay warm. Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne
    Lol, an older hiker told my gf and me that at the trailhead to mt Coe, North and South Brother in BSP this Summer. We follow his advice still :-)

This girl NOBO'd in 2013 at the age of 60. That may be my physical age, but it's my 12-year-old "joie de vivre" that rules my every day. Never grow up.

Journal Entries
    Images

When I thru-hiked in 01 i was surprised at the many older woman I met on the trail. some were married and some were single. They all had a sprite on adventure.
    Grampie-N->2001

That's me! I will be out there soon. Just gathering up gear now.

Good luck on your journey.....
    AT Thru-hiker Wanna-be........goal of '17

since the majority of the more technical hiking is in the north, you have lots of time to get into things!
    Nothing too crazy there either... just slow going and a lot of rock.

You could try the northern section of the long trail as training for that. north of camel's hump

Or section/day hikes in the whites.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++