WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fall 2015 Water Update in Connecticut (CT)

Though fall is upon us, and backpackers are trickling out (like some of the water sources), it was a dry September here.

This is an update on water conditions on the AT in CT:

-Kent- Schagticoke CS may or may not have one small (15-20 gallons) pool of water located about 1/4 of the way up the CS trail. Being the only water between Thayer Brook (which has water according to a SOBO I met) and 10 mile, the pool is also home to a LOT of frogs.

-SOBO hikers reported
    water at Algo shelter.

-Salisbury- The spring above the rt 41 parking area may or may not be dry ( I will check this week). The stream (in a hemlock grove) about a mile or so north of the parking area IS flowing.

-Salisbury- The stream that serves as the water supply for Riga Shelter is dry (still dry as of 10/14/15). There are a couple of pools 50ft downstream of where the stream crosses the side trail to the shelter that can be pumped, following the yellow blazes near the bear box.

-Where Ball Brook crosses the AT there is very little flow. However, the blue blazed side trail marked "Water" (for the group site) 50 ft to the south of the At crossing has very good flow.

-Brassie Brook is flowing.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thanks for the update, I had just assumed that the heavy rains we had recently would have replenished everything. I guess it must have been bone dry up there in September.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Also there may not be water at the Sharon Mtn CS

Just to add to the info report, the spring at Limestone Spring Shelter was still providing water as of a few weeks ago.

[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;2011845]I had just assumed that the heavy rains we had recently would have replenished everything./QUOTE]Based on my experience along the Mattabesett Trail in central Connecticut the recent rains did nothing, totally dry.

As of 10/19, the stream at Stewart Hollow is dry. Nearest water is at Stoney Brook 0.4 mi north shelter.

Any info on Pine Swamp Brook and Ten Mile Shelters?
    "Sea Eagle"

++ New Posts ++