Default Hammock or Bivy for an early 2016 NOBO Thru-hike?

I had originally planned to pack a hammock, tarp and warmest sleeping bag I could find; I reasoned that as a solo hiker it'll be easier to set up and break down, and I'd still be nice and cozy on cold Feb/March nights. But a friend of mine today suggested a bivy, and now I'm torn. I've never used a bivy, but it's got all of the qualifications I was looking for, plus it should be a little warmer, especially if I can fit a down airmat in there.

Folks who have used bivvies, or both, weigh in! Thoughts?

Images

Have you used the hammock on a zero degree night ? Don't think you will be nice and cozy without an under quilt. With the bivy what pad will you use?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

A bivy would be my last choice.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Early NOBO will definitely want an underquilt and generous tarp for hammocking. If you can get your strap / tarp system down to where you're not dealing with knots, you'll have a fine time out there in the woods and probably move much faster than a tent camper.

Without wind / rain protection, however, you won't sleep a wink.

Early in the season it's much easier to stay warm with less bulk, weight and expense in a tent then it is in a hammock. If you don't have a good cold weather hammock set up already dialed in, you will suffer. It rains too much for just a bivy and when you add a good sized tarp, you might as well have gone with a tent. There's a reason tents are the #1 choice - go with the flow...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I use my thermarest in my hammock, really keeps the chill out of the bottom side. I have never tried my bivy, I usually just keep the rain fly super low.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    I use my thermarest in my hammock, really keeps the chill out of the bottom side. I have never tried my bivy, I usually just keep the rain fly super low.

Keeps what temperature chill out? 0F or below? Or just minor above freezing chill? What about 0F, or less, and a stiff wind blowing? What will you use for shelter through the Smokies if you get caught between the mandated shelters? Have the read the rules for GSMNP?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have used it down to 20F with wind, in a 20F bag. Keeping the rain fly low is key. My buddy swears that adding the bug net helps additionally.

If caught between shelters, you just need to make a smart decision. The fine for camping in a non designated area is much less detrimental then dying because you pushed too hard to make it to a shelter.

Journal Entries

I use to hammock camp with a backpackers poncho. Carried a emergency blanket and placed it underneath and would wrap it around to prevent rain splatter and to block the wind. Eventually started using a bivy and an umbrella as the set up was easier. Works great until bug season, where it works but I'd preferred a tent.

++ New Posts ++