WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Status of Deep Gap FS Road?

How's the road from US64 up to Deep Gap parking this time of year? Also, what's ballpark driving time from Deep Gap to Dicks Creek Gap, if we stage a vehicle on each end? Many thanks!

THE RIDE FROM dICKS TO dEEP I believe is about 45 min to an hour

the road condition as of Thanksgiving last year was snow icy but gravel was good. You shouldn't have any issues. If you want a real time answer call Ron Brown, he drives it weekly.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I just drove the forest service road (FS71) yesterday. Did a short day hike up Standing Indian. The road's in about average shape. I've seen it much worse. There was a Toyota Prius parked at the end to give you an idea as to what sort of vehicles can manage the road. It usually takes me an hour or more to do the route you asked about. However, I drive like an old man (because I am one). Lots of hunters parked at the pullouts. Wear bright colors when hiking this time of year in this area.

Thank you!

I was at the gap today however I was on foot. But what I did see is accurate with what twosticks was saying. There was about 7 cars parked there some which were smaller sedans so I bet its just fine

Take the suggestion for wearing orange seriously. I was just north of there (Betty Gap) this time last year and there were a lot of blood hounds running that section of the trail, with the hunters driving up and down the adjacent forest service road (from Standing Indian campground to Mt. Albert). If you have a dog, I'd leave him at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes there are lots of hunters out and about. I came across one young hunting dog that had been separated from his group. Someone took him down to the camp ground to try and get in touch with the owners. I hope he found his way home. Saw a bunch of hunters in the area and surrounding roads and gaps

Journal Entries

Very good news. Planning to park on Albert tomorrow, and meet up with a couple of thru-hikers tomorrow.

The road is in good shape. Was there this past Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++