WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WTB: Tarptent Notch

Edit: Changed the title of the thread. Was "WTB: Lightweight Tent, 1P, Sub 2lb, Under $200." After seeing all the great suggestions/offers, I've realized the TT Notch is what I really want.

I've been a hammock camper for a few years. The only time I've gone to ground since 2011 is for Philmont in 2013. Philmont does not allow hammocks. In 2013, I shared a reasonably light tent with a fellow leader. We are planning our trek for 2016 and this time I want to use a solo tent and want to keep my Big 3 to less than 6lbs. I have the pack (Gossamer Gear, 28oz or so). I'm planning on making a down quilt, and with the pad,that should a little over 2 lbs. This leaves me with up to 2 lbs for the tent. Less will be better.

I haven't done tons of research on light one-person tents, but I do like the Tarptent Contrail, ProTrail and Notch. I'm open to other options. My requirements are:

- 1 Person, or 1+
    - 3 season
    - Under 2 lbs
    - Prefer double wall, but am open to either. In either case, ventilation is important.
    - Can't require tying to trees for support (Philmont rules)
    - Can't be a Bivy (another Philmont rule)
    - Must be fully enclosed (i.e. can't be a tarp or fly covering a ground cloth, per Philmont)
    - I will be using trekking poles, so that will be available to support the tent.
    - Side Entry*
    - Bathtub Floor*
    - In new or close to new condition*
    - Budget is up to $200, but would prefer to be around $150.

Thanks

*new requirements added based on what I've learned/realized through this thread.
    Last edited by edu; 10-23-2015 at 10:07. Reason: Changed Title and requirements

A TarpTent ProTrail, brand new, is $209....seems to meet all your requirements, you already said you like it, and it's only $9 over your $200 limit...seems like a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    A TarpTent ProTrail, brand new, is $209....seems to meet all your requirements, you already said you like it, and it's only $9 over your $200 limit...seems like a no-brainer.
    For some reason, I was thinking the Pro-trail was more expensive. With shipping, the cost to my door would be $223. I should have said that I liked the features of the Notch but would also consider the Pro-trail or Contrail for the right price. I will probably go with the Pro-trail, new from Tarptent, if I have no luck on the second hand market.

I'm budgeting $200, but would prefer to be around $150.
    Last edited by edu; 10-08-2015 at 14:06.

Images

With your budget, I’m hesitant to suggest LightHeart SoLong 6 or even the Solo.

With your weight limitations, I’m hesitant to suggest the Alps Zephyr 1.

Still, on Steep and Cheap for about a day left, they are having some pretty good tent sales. The weights are over the 2 pound limit, though.

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/fall-camping-essentials

Any wiggle room in budget or weight? Good luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Thanks for the the link. I'll take a look.

Budget? I can afford more, but I'm a tightwad. Actually, if I wasn't already into hammocks, I'd probably spend a good bit more than the stated budget.

Wiggle room on the weight? Just a little, but I'd rather flex on the budget than the weight.
    Last edited by edu; 10-08-2015 at 16:45.

I have a Nemo Obi1 Elite that has been used for one night. It's 1lb 15 ounces.I'll let it go for $200.

Thanks, Decibel. The Nemo look like a possibility. Let me do a little research. Do you have the footprint?
    Last edited by edu; 10-08-2015 at 23:15.

No, Footprints weigh too much. I just used a piece of 4 mil plastic that was hanging around.

What about Six Moon Designs Scout. It's only 125$ . It's 34 oz which is 2 Oz over you limit but close. I used to have the SMD Trekker which is the same but a more expensive lighter weight version. They also have a lunar solo that is just under 180$ and 30 oz. I'm not familiar with that one but I believe it to be a more minimal single wall shelter.

Check out this tent I purchased a few weeks ago...I had it professionally seem sealed but I'm sure if you are trying to save money, you can keep it under $200.

Thanks for the suggestions on the SMD. Although I'm starting to lean heavily towards the TT notch, I'll keep the SMD tents on the radar, especially the new Lunar Solo.

I have a notch for sale, thru hiked with it this year, 165 days minus towns/shelters, in great shape with no leaks or damage, 199 shipped to your door :P

Journal Entries

What's a Philmont?

Eureka Solitaire $74 at Campmor, but a bit over 2 lbs. An older version of this tent kept me dry and snug for many years and many miles.

I'd tell Philmont to stay out of my bedroom! And, let me pitch whatever shelter I please so long as it doesn't damage the environment.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Philmont is a BSA ranch in New Mexico. They have to have rules due to campsites that have been used for years along with bears and mountain lions. Safety of the boys is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Philmont is a BSA ranch in New Mexico. They have to have rules due to campsites that have been used for years along with bears and mountain lions. Safety of the boys is very important.
    Correct. Philmont has a number of rules which we may see as silly, but there usually is a reasonable explanation. Philmont provides a backcounty wilderness experience for scouts that most would not normally get. Breaking the set rules or arguing how they don't apply to me, takes away from the scout's experience.

Rafe: My son has a Eureka. I'm not a fan of the entry and condensation is an issue. I may pull it out to see how much I can lighten it up by changing the poles from fiberglass to aluminum.

Yankee 15: We've exchanged emails on your TT Notch. Although the notch is still my #1 choice, I want to hold off for a bit to see if I can find one with not as many nights.
    Last edited by edu; 10-22-2015 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by edu View Post
    Breaking the set rules or arguing how they don't apply to me, takes away from the scout's experience.
    I knew there was a reason I hated boy scouting. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that the Philmont experience is available to today's scouts. It really does appear open up access to quality outdoor experiences for kids that otherwise wouldn't have them. Saddly, for me, in bygone years at least, the idea that "the boy scout way" was to not question practices and rules that seemed really stupid and outdated if not just completely wrong-headed was sad and in itself, badly misguided.

Except in emergency situations, Always, respectfully question authority!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

nsherry, most (but not all) of Philmont rules do have a reasonable explanations. The BSA has to set rules based on the "least common denominator" for the safety of the masses. It is up to troop leaders to recognize when the rules lack reason. We then have to educate the scouts on how to recognize when rules should be questioned, how to respectfully question them and how to find reasonable solutions. We will push the edge on some of the rules, and may step slightly over the line as long as we follow the spirit. But it won't be on the issue of tents.
    Last edited by edu; 10-22-2015 at 14:09. Reason: correct grammatical errors

I think you could combine a inner net tent (like this http://bearpawwd.com/net_tents/walled_net_tent.php, or MLD has a nice one but more spendy) to fulfill the "must be enclosed" requirement and then you could add a silnylon tarp to go with your trekking poles and come in under two pounds and under $200 without trying too hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++