WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool I found a CDT/CT loop!

Well, not exactly a loop. More like a balloon with a string tied to it.

Jumping in the Wayback Machine, circa mid-1970s.

I made two visits to Thirtymile Campground below the Rio Grande Reservoir.
    The first was a car camping vacation with Mrs. Wayne. We drove from Creede to Lake City. Most of the route was unpaved. During our stay at Thirtymile CG we experienced a very cold night. That cured Mrs. Wayne of sleeping on the ground in a tent. A shame. We hiked a portion of the Weminuche Trail above the dam.
    Second trip: My dad I drove to Thirtymile CG. Dad fished. I way overloaded a monster REI external frame pack and headed up the Weminuche Trail. I hiked to the pass when a light rain began falling which lasted most of the afternoon. I got as far as even with, or probably beyond The Window. I didn't know at the time, but according to current topo maps, I hiked 1/4 mile of the CDT going south. Actually, I was a few early. The CDT din't exist at the time. The rain stopped. I camped in a small grove of trees. Set up my makeshift tarp. Fired up the SVEA 23 & had a good dinner. My first day in the San Juans was a very good day. The next morning I hiked back down to the campground.
    I made two other trips to the Vallecito Creek drainage in 1979 & sometime around 1985. I have not been back to Thirtymile CG since my first overnight trip.

Fast forward to the present.
    A friend and I have made plans to "jump off the train at Elk Creek and head in to the woods" next September. As a preamble to that trip I know that I need to get in some shakedown, acclimating, gear sorting, food sorting hiking done. I've been wracking my brain for a place to go. I needed a trailhead I could get to in my Volvo XC70 without tearing it up. Vallecito Creek came to mind, but it is just an in/out trail. A Point A to Point B wouldn't work well with just one car. There had to be a rough circle some where in the Weminuche Wilderness. Then the light bulb went on. Go back to the beginning, Wayne.

Thanks to Caltopo, I once again revisited the Rio Grande Reservoir-Rio Grande Pyramid-The Window neighborhood. What do you know. The CDT/CT runs through the Rincon La Osa-Pine River-Snowslide Canyon area. In a few minutes I traced a rough elliptical circuit bisected by the Pine River trail in case my old tired bones weren't up to the whole loop. Retracing my original steps on the CDT, which may not have been the CDT at the time, was a bonus.

A good plan. Revisit my earliest memories of the Weminuche Wilderness, which was brand new the first time we visited it. Hike a section of the CDT. Get "up close and personal" with The Window and Rio Grande Pyramid. Whip myself into some semblance of hiking shape before I "jump off of the train." It is all good!

I realize this is way too early to announce a hiking plan. Enough said for now. Thanks to everyone here and at Backcountrypost for your help.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Just got back from hiking Molas Pass to Wolf Creek. I want more! But might a couple years before I get back there. The San Juans are awesome! Have fun planning.

Images

san_juan_loop.jpg

I'd sure like to see your proposal on a map sometime... always looking for great Weminuche Wildererness area loop hikes!

This particular hike/train loop has been discussed before, but it is only 3-4 days (or less if you want, or of course more, if you want as there are tons of peaks to climb en route). See pic.

Rob,
    I haven't gotten down to the nitty & the gritty yet. It's not a very long trip, near as I can tell. My goal is 3-4-5 nights. Shakedown and acclimating. Make sure that I have what I need and figure out what I can do without. Not sure if it rates as a "great" hike, but the area means something to me. You never forget your time.
    If you wanted a longer trip, you could come up Ute Creek from the trail head at the upper end of Rio Grande Reservoir. Intersect the CDT/Rincon La Osa trail junction on the divide. Wander around to your heart's content. Summit Rio Grande Pyramid even.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++