WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    I think it's widely accepted that eating a lot of red or fatty meats is bad for your health. Emphasis on 'a lot'. Anything in moderation is not going to cause much damage.
    Accepted by whom? And what "damage" are you referring to?

The world was once widely accepted to be flat, right? (not a great analogy, but it sprang to mind....)

All I see are fad diets and media nonsense and in fact for the latest actual nutrition/science-based articles, I tend to see a lot of the opposite. My own doc laughs when I ask him about avoiding red meats.

So what's the issue with honey?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Pisses off the Bears?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yo pauly, i used to work on a farm. i witnessed lotsa small animals get killed by the machines. you veggie folks are hypocrites. animals die in the production of your rabbit food
    You're suggesting we return to ox-drawn plows? Cuz we're chopping up the poor little gophers and prarie dogs? Seriously?

Eating meat is eating at the top of the food chain. It's inherently wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    You're suggesting we return to ox-drawn plows? Cuz we're chopping up the poor little gophers and prarie dogs? Seriously?
    i'm suggesting your reading comprehension sucks. never typed or suggested nothin' about no ox plows. using oxen would be animal abuse and hypocritical

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

For the record I'm all in favor of oxen.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I was never big on lima beans...

Insects are in the animal kingdom, so some vegans don't believe in consuming it. Certainly a lot of vegans do not have any such objection, though.

i'm suggesting your reading comprehension sucks. never typed or suggested nothin' about no ox plows. using oxen would be animal abuse and hypocritical
    If ox-drawn farm implements were animal abuse, we're all born of hypocrite ancestors, and hypocrisy is in our DNA.

I know that fossil fuels are awful in a whole bunch of ways, but I'll be burning a few gallons to go hiking this weekend. Living in the real world makes hypocrites of us all.

I defend vegetarianism without really practicing it. Meat production (and consumption) is horrible in a whole bunch of ways, but I still enjoy an occasional cheeseburger.

No bees were injured in the making of this honey. I still really don't get it other than it's an animal by-product. And maybe using animals equals abusing animals.
    Does this idea include using animals for transportation?
    There are so many much more serious issues to try to fix in this world.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    For the record I'm all in favor of oxen.

Scotts Bluff, Oregon Trail ...I did not get dysentery.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-09-2015 at 22:05.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Scotts Bluff, Oregon Trail ...I did not get dysentery.
    Buried somewhere in my parent's house are a couple of photos of 8 year old me driving a dead broke team of oxen around dirt roads on a hobby farm. They didn't have anything hitched to them, but I got fairly good at driving them over the course of that summer.

Also, excellent Oregon Trail photos on FB, I was geeking out a bit over the wagon wheel grave marker.

Could use of the vaunted triple negative be considered language abuse?

No bees were injured in the making of this honey. I still really don't get it other than it's an animal by-product. And maybe using animals equals abusing animals.
    Does this idea include using animals for transportation?
    There are so many much more serious issues to try to fix in this world.
    I can't address why some vegans see the consumption of honey as NOT being a true vegan. However, bees are regularly killed every time the beekeeper goes into the hive. Because they start flying all over the place, many of them sting you, resulting in their death, but also many of them get on portions of the wooden frames/sectional boxes and as those parts are put back together they get crushed.

Then you got the bees that are shipped all over the country to pollinate certain crops, such as almonds, blueberries, etc... However, I don't believe any of that honey is harvested, but it's pretty tough on them little critters. I imagine quite a few miss the bus And they can not live on their own outside the hive. But then again, they only live about 6-weeks in the months they are collecting for the hive - they literally work themselves to death. Busy as a bee

If you wear a proper bee suit they can not sting you.
    You can brush the bees out of the way when putting the hive back together.
    I think honey from traveling bees for pollination is harvested, blueberry honey would be wonderful.
    An excluder is available so the bees can get into the hive but not out.
    Still a lot more serious stuff to worry about.
    MHO

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, it was a serious question and thank you for the answers. If ya got a laugh on my lack of knowledge that's all good.

If you wear a proper bee suit they can not sting you.
    You can brush the bees out of the way when putting the hive back together.
    I think honey from traveling bees for pollination is harvested, blueberry honey would be wonderful.
    An excluder is available so the bees can get into the hive but not out.
    Still a lot more serious stuff to worry about.
    MHO
    Even with a proper fitting bee suit you will get stung or in the least the bee will attempt to sting you. It doesn't matter if the bee stings you or not, just them putting their stinger into the bee suit will cause them to die -- they can't extract their stinger from the suit, in the same way they can't extract their stinger from your skin. All beekeepers get stung. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ugh-a-bee-suit

But far more are killed when the beekeeper opens and closes the hive, by simply crushing them. Of course no one talks about this, not that it's an "unspoken truth", it's just not an important thing that most people consider. I've watched these things up close quite a bit, not just on video, and I'm a witness to many bees getting crushed during this process. Trust me, many bees were crushed in the making of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d55cSiY4P0

Bee keeping ain't a victim-less occupation/hobby, it's just that no one really cares, at least I've never heard anyone mention it.

P.S. many beekeepers do brush them away, but they come back so quickly that many still get crushed. It would take a lot of time to make sure none were crushed.

Ha, ha... I found someone who asked the question: How many bees do you smoosh?

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-do-you-smoosh

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++