WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

"Simplify your life" can mean different things, to different people. Some people can simplify by getting rid of objects. To others, that definition could mean cutting mental weight from their lives. The electronics themselves are just objects - It is how people use them that is the real issue.

Nobody should rely on any one "thing" to get them out of a jam. If we put ourselves out there, we should be responsible for taking all precautions to avoid putting ourselves in bad situations. We can arm ourselves with knowledge of the area and knowledge of first aid. We can also arm ourselves with tools to get out of situations. The tools can be maps, compass, gps, phones....they are all tools. It is up to the person carrying the tools to decide what they want to carry - We will all have our own definitions of what we are willing to carry. All can be useful.

I hate phones and rarely talk on them no matter where I am. I do have a cell phone, but that is mostly so that I am available in case one of my family members has an emergency, or in case I have an emergency. Do I rely on the cell phone? Nope. I make sure to know where I am and where my bailouts points are located. There are situations where it is not an emergency that would require a medical evacuation, but a cell phone could sure line-up a ride and make life a heck of a lot less painful.

I dislocated my shoulder on the trail a couple of years ago. It's my bad shoulder and it thankfully popped back in place. I was not incapacitated, but it did hurt like.... Well, it was a painful experience. This is not a situation where I would have chosen to activate a SPOT. I knew where I was, I could walk, I knew where the next road was... I got myself to a location (in the HMW) where I knew there to be cell coverage and was able to text a friend to pick me up and give me a ride. I then hiked to the road and waited. That particular situation would have been a lot more painful if I did not have my phone with me because I would have had to hitch out of the area and figure out a way to get home. I had a couple of plans in place, but that's just me and that is how I hike - I always have a backup plan. Sure made my life a lot simpler to have the phone with me and to be able to choose when I wanted to use it. It was also a lot less stressful to know that a ride was on their way. That way I was able to concentrate on safely getting myself to the meeting spot.

To each there own.

My carrying a cell phone will in no way impact your hike, unless I find you lying unconscious on the trail and am able to call for help. That would sure make things a lot simpler for you in that situation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    My carrying a cell phone will in no way impact your hike, unless I find you lying unconscious on the trail and am able to call for help. That would sure make things a lot simpler for you in that situation.
    Agreed, but only because phones are everywhere. Whithout saying they are good, bad or excellent in the backcountry (people have already "voted" on that with their own choices) the fact they are out there has changed everyone's hikes.I think the HMW is a bit less "wild" because of them, just as it is a bit less "wild" because you can so easily resupply in the middle of it.Again, not saying that is good or bad -- and any single individual's choices hardly have an impact on thet sense of "wildness". Not my place to pass judgement (the ultimate sin these days) on that But the HMW has changed, and will change even more in the years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Sure is. Just tell the nice lady at the KI gate, or the Scot at Hedgehog Hill, you're leaving your car at the Gulf Hagas parking area, and for how long. Fee at the gates for non-residents.
    As an FYI, I parked outside of the HMW (for free) for 4 days at West Branch Pond Road -- I wouldn't be surprised if this the location of the OP's drop. It is a deserted area, but had no issues. KI road and Jo Mary Road also has good parking, but KI road seemed to have a bit more activity, owing to nearby camping area.

Here's the directions to West Branch Pond Road from http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/.

From Greenville.... Take the Lily Bay road towards Kokadjo, Maine Atlas page 41.
    Just before Kokadjo, take a right on the Frenchtown Road.
    Follow Frenchtown Road approx 10 miles to West Branch Pond Camps.
    Reset odometer at the driveway for West Branch Pond Camps and proceed as follows.
    0.2 miles continue straight ahead.
    0.8 miles bear right.
    1.1 miles cross bridge at 3rd West Branch Pond.
    1.5 miles continue straight ahead, DON'T follow main road which bears right here. Rough road ahead to Slaughter Brook.
    2.2 miles Cross Slaughter Brook
    2.4 miles bear right
    3.5 miles Reach gate. Be sure to park OUTSIDE the gate, even if it's opened. It DOES get locked daily. Walk 0.4 miles to the AT crossing.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Perhaps somewhat answering your question, did anyone else on WB run into a guy named "pringles" in this year's hiking? He started at Springer and completed the AT up to well into Maine (last time I saw him, I assume he did finish), slackpacking himself using two vehicles. For someone who wants to see the entire trail without carrying overnight gear this is simply Brilliant! I had never heard of this before. Of course he had to use a start-up shuttle and he would wind up with two vehicles when he finished... he could always get help from a fellow hiker getting both vehicles home (NY maybe? I cannot remember), or just use another shuttle (back to 2nd car).

He did a NOBO, always walking SOBO... he'd drive to a road crossing/trailhead and park his vehicle, them hike SOBO back to his other vehicle, one day south, then he'd drive to a trailhead one day north of the other vehicle, then hike south, repeat, repeat. He either slept in his vehicle or a nearby hostel. There were a few sections that he had to make into two days and carry overnight gear and food/fuel.

I mention this in this thread because he had the HMW mapped out as a complete self-slack-pack. I talked to him a lot and he never mentioned any vehicle vandalism in his 4+ months parking not one, but two vehicles.

Extremely nice guy, he offered pringles to all hikers he'd pass (until he ran out, of course). He was also a great wealth of info to us NOBO's on trail conditions (water sources, primarily) just ahead. I personally was right in phase with him for about 10+ days or so, meaning our paths crossed every day.
    I used this method a lot, though not in Maine -- I used a shuttle as my second car there. It was nice ending at a point with which you were familiar. Furthermore, if I was hiking supported, my wife would be familiar with the pickup point, as she would have dropped me off at that point on an earlier hike. It was really fun passing thru hikers leaving from Trail Days or elsewhere, as I would see them for consecutive days while I was hiking south to go north.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Images

Joshuasdad great directions.
    I was here two weeks ago and it's a good place to park w/o paying the $7 per person per day gate fee at Jo Mary Checkpoint. Another good parking place north is the Pollywog Stream parking area at the head of Nahmakanta Lake. If you come in from Lilly Bay Road at Kokadjo you can avoid the $7 day person gate fees that are charged at the gates. From Kokadjo travel north off the pavement 1 mile until you see a dirt road Namakanta Road on the right. Travel about 5 miles until you see a dirt road on the left with a blue Maine Public Reserve sign, turn here. At this point follow the Maine Public Reserve signs (MPRL) 6 miles until you see the parking area above Nahmakanta Lake. The best part is the camping (1st come) and parking in the area are both free. These roads might be a problem for a low to the ground vehicle, due to clearance
    Last edited by wormer; 10-13-2015 at 16:07.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Agreed, but only because phones are everywhere. Whithout saying they are good, bad or excellent in the backcountry (people have already "voted" on that with their own choices) the fact they are out there has changed everyone's hikes.I think the HMW is a bit less "wild" because of them, just as it is a bit less "wild" because you can so easily resupply in the middle of it.Again, not saying that is good or bad -- and any single individual's choices hardly have an impact on thet sense of "wildness". Not my place to pass judgement (the ultimate sin these days) on that But the HMW has changed, and will change even more in the years to come.
    Oh, I completely agree that they are everywhere. I just know that my personal cell phone will not impact anyone else's hike because it only comes out a maximum of 2 times a day (morning and night) to check in. If I am in an area with cell reception, this is done in my tent. If not, then I make sure nobody is around. Like I said - I personally cannot stand phones. Still, my ability to send 2 quick texts to check in really saves my loved ones from having to wonder where the heck I am. In the event of an actual emergency, it also lets searchers know where to start looking. Outside of those 2 texts, my phone is not going to ring (I keep it on silent mode) or even be visible.

If the weight of carrying a cell phone ever gets to be too much, I'll just carry one less snack and that should balance things out quite nicely. My carrying it saves loved ones from worrying, it can be a useful tool, and I have personally used it in a non-emergency situation (but it certainly kept me from having to endure a long walk with a pack).

Yes, the AT is ever evolving and certainly losing its "wanna get away" status. The flip side to that is that easier access to services will mean that I will still be able to get out there and hike when I am a lot older than I am now. I think that is a good thing as the current generations of WBers age. That means we can all choose to get out there and there is the ability to still hike. Had we lived closer to the AT, I have no doubts my grandmother would have loved to have kept backpacking even into her early 90s. As it was she only slowed down hiking portions of the PCT when she was 86. That was because of pack weight. After that, it became more frequent day trips.

It might not be backpacking as it once was (things will not go back to what they once were for the AT), but these types of services might be useful in assisting us in getting out there(for longer stretches) later in life. I sure hope so. The thought of sitting on the couch does absolutely nothing for me.

Being a very recently retired high school teacher, I can tell you that for anyone under the age of 25 being without their cell phone is unthinkable. Cell phones are like electronic crack to that age group. They are addicted. You may say I am exaggerating but believe me I am not. Thinking they would leave their phone at home and not bring it (and use it a lot) on the AT is unrealistic. Whether that is good or bad is a different issue.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++