WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    Don,
    Your right, I bet if I had an emergency on the AT I would be praying for a cell phone and service. What ever did hikers do pre-2000!! They must have died by the thousands!! I choose not to carry a phone for many reasons. Most thru's that I've met refuse to carry adequate first aid and foodstuffs. But they do carry their smartphone and charging accessories! Help! come get me! I'm cold and hungry! I'm not trying to rehash old loaded topics. I'm just observing how the wilderness is changing, and not for the better imo.
    Before cell phones we hoped someone came buy and they were willing to hike out for help. I'll carry a cell phone.

My first aid kit weighs maybe 3 ounces, mostly band aid and tape. The most important first aid item I carry weighs nothing but takes a lot of effort to obtain.

Some hikers don't carry maps either but are always interested in looking at someone else's.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Don,
    You are right on about the maps. That pisses me off too! I agree, common sense and experience are the most important thing one can have in their first aid kit. With aid from maps, a hiker needs to go on every trip prepared for self-rescue, a cell phone could be an important part of this, but is not always the safe option. Service, battery, electronics in the elements ect. ect. If hikers were really worried about connectivity for safety reasons, the safe, logical and more efficient tool would not be a cell phone, but a spot gps beacon, or similar.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jred321 View Post
    Another woman this year, Warm and Toasty, took the same approach. I didn't see her after Shenandoah but I was moving quickly so it wasn't too surprising. Hopefully she finished. It sounded like a great way to do the trail to me, especially on those cold, rainy nights!
    I'm pretty sure Warm and Toasty finished. She was ahead of us in Maine, although we saw her in NJ/Mass for a while.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

I don't carry a cell phone on LDH's.
    HIKERS WITH CELL PHONES PISS ME OFF
    I would actually say it is a bit foolish not to carry one. Whether you use it or not while you're in the woods is up to you, but I'd say everyone should have one. Hikers talking on the phone on the trail or in camp is what should piss you off because that's poor etiquette but I would advise having a phone.

I carried a smart phone. Because I carried this I did not carry a separate camera, guide book (had AWOL's PDF version), regular book (Kindle app), music player (whole other debate, I only had one ear bud in and kept the volume low so I could still hear what was going on around me) or journal (made a calendar entry every night). Leaving your phone in airplane mode, shutting it off at night and just using it for these functions will easily let it last a week between charges if your battery is still decent. Most of the time you'll hit a town long before a full week goes by so charging shouldn't be an issue. I would occasionally text if I had service but that was a choice I made. The only time I made a call from the trail was in the HMW on White Cap when I called Shaw's to confirm my food drop. I was also able to easily post to my blog when I was in town and even watched some shows on it when I had a hotel or hostel room to myself. And I guess I used it a couple of times in town to call home which means I didn't have to deal with calling cards and actually finding a phone to call from (not as easy as it used to be).

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    I'm pretty sure Warm and Toasty finished. She was ahead of us in Maine, although we saw her in NJ/Mass for a while.
    Nice! Glad to hear it!

Images

I would actually say it is a bit foolish not to carry one. Whether you use it or not while you're in the woods is up to you, but I'd say everyone should have one.
    Why should EVERYONE carry a cell phone? A cell is not, as I have previously stated, the safest or most reliable method of getting help in the backcountry. Also, there are still those of us out there that choose not to listen to music on the trail, watch youtube videos at night ect, and god forbid, carry these 'hiking for dummy's' step by step guidebooks that are all over the place these days. Old school TOPO's for me, a small notebook and pencil for journaling and maybe a paperback now and then. That's just how I roll. Part of 'Wilderness' imo, is taking a break from these electronics; I guess I just relish my opportunities to take my nose out of the phone for a while. Using it to dictate and direct a LDH is just not my style. To each their own.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

GA-ME 2011
    Images

A cell is not, as I have previously stated, the safest or most reliable method of getting help in the backcountry
    I had enough signal for a text message almost every evening along the entire trail. Only when I camped down in the gaps did I have trouble getting out. So I would say for an emergency a cell phone is more reliable than the next choice, which is waiting for help and hoping when someone shows up they go for help. Of course a SPOT or similar device would be the most dependable.

Carry one or not, it's up to you (just like maps, first aid kits, water treatment, bear bagging, hiking poles etc.)
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Is white house landing not still available for food and resupply?
    No longer an option, sold out a few years back.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    . Of course a SPOT or similar device would be the most dependable.

Carry one or not, it's up to you (just like maps, first aid kits, water treatment, bear bagging, hiking poles etc.)
    Yes. This was my original point. Carrying a cell for emergency purposes is foolish, for all the reasons I previously listed. See above posts. 'a spot or similar device would be most dependable.' see above posts. Thus negating the necessity, not like there ever was one, of a cell phone in the backcountry.
    Henry David Thoreau

Journal Entries

Id say the outcome of this was able to be anticipated.

Some SOBOs are still discarding crap on trail in the south. Ask the people that maintain the shelters, 1800 miles doesnt turn everyone into saints.still a great deal of people too self centered to haul their trash if they expect someone else will do it. It might only be one in 10, or 20, but thats all it takes when you have hundreds.

I talked to a flip flop the other day in NC who found another hikers small towel they recognized at a shelter. They figured it was forgotten, and carried it several days till they caught up to the other hiker. Only to find out...it was left on purpose because it was wet and heavy.

Aside note, encountered more flip flops and sobos than I ever have on a fall hike. Could have been stacked up from hurricane though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-11-2015 at 14:18.

Why should EVERYONE carry a cell phone? A cell is not, as I have previously stated, the safest or most reliable method of getting help in the backcountry.
    It's lighter and can be cheaper than a SPOT, allows 2 way communication, and is the first thing a loved one is going to think of calling if there is an issue. In the mountains even GPS based devices can have issues (see the woman who died on Washington this winter and where her transponder said she was). Two way communication is important. Plus there can be emergencies that are not yours that can alter your hike - parents, grandparents, siblings, etc..., all could have issues over the course of your hike that you need to do something about. They can't reach you on a SPOT. If you're going out for a few days that's one thing (although it's easy to just let people know to only contact you in case of an emergency). If you're out for a thru that's another story. Not to mention most people who carry a SPOT carry it on their packs where it can be hard or impossible to reach in an emergency. A cell fits in a hip belt pocket. Not bringing a cell to me is like when you see people at a ski resort nowadays without a helmet on. Why not bring one?
    Old school TOPO's for me
    You brought TOPOs on a thru?

Part of 'Wilderness' imo, is taking a break from these electronics; I guess I just relish my opportunities to take my nose out of the phone for a while.
    Not using it and not having it are two different things. Perhaps learning the self control to have it and not use it would help translate to life outside of the trail.

In the end, if it works for you then do your thing. I just don't understand the logic behind not bringing a cell on a east coast hike, especially since it can be used to save weight for most people.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not using it and not having it are two different things. Perhaps learning the self control to have it and not use it would help translate to life outside of the trail.
    Sensibilities change, but there was once a well-reasoned school of though that simply having a phone could have a negative impact on "the spirit of wildness" that some thought so important.

http://www.wilderness.net/library/do...3_Waterman.pdf

There was a lot in that article that I won't touch, but I would say that guy who made the call on the remote summit was behaving rudely, remote summit or not. I will caveat this with my view that talking on a phone in public in general is rude. When you're with one group of people it is rude to disengage from them and engage with someone else. Nature, in that case, was one of the parties he was disengaging from to make this call. And because it was a call, it had an impact on those around him. Had he either texted (may not have existed back then), taken the phone out to take a picture, or just left his phone in his pocket altogether, there wouldn't have been any impact on others' experiences and he wouldn't have needed to fully disengage from his present. So to me it's not that he had the phone, it's how he chose to use it.

I think the cell phone debate has been pretty well hashed out some time ago. When cell phones evolved into multifunctional smart phones, their place inside the pack was assured. But what is remarkable is that fairly reliable coverage is now apparently available through the HMW. I suppose it was inevitable. Coverage can still be spotty along the Maine AT corridor in general, but not nearly as spotty as it was just a few years ago.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think the cell phone debate has been pretty well hashed out some time ago. When cell phones evolved into multifunctional smart phones, their place inside the pack was assured. But what is remarkable is that fairly reliable coverage is now apparently available through the HMW. I suppose it was inevitable. Coverage can still be spotty along the Maine AT corridor in general, but not nearly as spotty as it was just a few years ago.

Agree. I eschewed phones as long as possible. Still kind of do. I contact wife/kids once per day usually with text msg.

But having an emergency GPS and map source, along with ability to make travelling reservations, and check weather forecasts, simply makes a smart phone a very functional thing to bring along, even if you dont use it for posting stupid facebook updates.

Hell, the cell phone issue went away because NO ONE under maybe 40 actually TALKS on phones anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But what is remarkable is that fairly reliable coverage is now apparently available through the HMW.
    Coverage isn't that good. You get it right out of Monson, then on the tops of the Chairback and White Cap ranges, then it kind of goes away until you get high on Katahdin from what I remember. Maybe there was some signal at Antlers too. I didn't check that frequently though so maybe there was more. It definitely wasn't signal like you get in civilization but there was some, especially in the first half.

Images

Coverage isn't that good. You get it right out of Monson, then on the tops of the Chairback and White Cap ranges, then it kind of goes away until you get high on Katahdin from what I remember. Maybe there was some signal at Antlers too. I didn't check that frequently though so maybe there was more. It definitely wasn't signal like you get in civilization but there was some, especially in the first half.
    We were just there, and this was our exact experience for Verizon coverage, at least.

We did indeed have some coverage at Antlers. We were at Antlers this Oct 27th, the night of the total lunar eclipse... but a guy we met on the trail that day told us that the eclipse was on the 28th, the next day. Well, it was on the 28th Universal Time (London), but was in fact that evening (Sunday night) local time. I was able to find this out using my cell at Antlers, along with the time of the eclipse (totality starting something like 9:15pm). Kudos to cell phones! We went to sleep at 7pm, set an alarm (on a phone, of course), then got up and thoroughly enjoyed watching the entire celestial event. Wouldn't have happened w/o my cell phone!

I did at one time have the same attitude towards cell conversations in the wild as that article, but got over it eventually when I realized: what is the difference between a person having a voice conversation with a person standing next to them vs. have a voice conversation with a loved one 2000 miles away using a modern device? None, effectively. The only abuse I see with cell phones is when a group is together, say at a dinner out, and everyone is buried in their phone and not interacting among themselves. Kinda weird and borderline pathetic, IMHO.

I also read about a book a week on my phone in the evenings after dark in my tent or shelter... Very nice. Not very practical to read that much on the trail with physical books.

So lets see: communication device for occasional call/text to/from loved ones, built in maps (goole maps even show AT when zoomed in) with accurate GPS, book reader, holds maps and other trail guide info, alarm clock (some days I found a need to get hiking super early), pretty decent camera, all for about 6 ounces of weight? (plus I carry 3 extra batteries at 0.7 oz each). Modern cell phones are amazing devices. Phooey on those (maybe 3% of the trail population?) that eschew them on the trail.

This is one of those etiquette issues that not everyone will agree with, but has some generalized rules. Cell phones have technology that has evolved to provide a huge variety of useful tools well suited for modern life and in many instances, in trail life. Bringing that technology into a wilderness setting can be an annoyance for some folks, which is understandable given the circumstances. However like many other things in society, etiquette can be observed which lessens the impact or disturbance of those around you.

Few people will have negative things to say when using cell phones if some basic etiquette is observed. For example, much like use in restaurants, if you need to use a cell phone for a conversation its just polite to move away from other patrons to do so. Its demonstration of respect for those around you. There is nothing wrong in moving away from others, nor is there anything wrong in that expectation others may have of cell phone users. A similar issue is smoking, most smokers observe the etiquette of moving away from others to smoke, which has also become a social expectation.

Clearly not everyone will abide by social etiquette either out of ignorance or the desire to be disruptive. Being sensitive to those nearby is never a bad thing and is typically well appreciated even if no one says anything.

I got a weird surprise one day at a shelter this summer. I was texting my wife (it is my duty to contact her from time to time when I'm on the trail) and in the middle of that, she called me. I'm not used to receiving calls while on the trail so it caught me off guard. I took the call while doing my best to walk quickly away from the shelter. It was a bit weird.

My cell got me out of a little jam on the Tully trail this weekend. I'd missed a turn in the trail and found myself at a road crossing. I wasn't quite sure which road, so I used my phone's GPS to find out. From there it was clear how best to reconnect with the trail. Hardly life-or-death, but saved me from either backtracking (to my missed turn-off) or walking down the wrong road. A useful time saver, with sunset two hours away.

Images

It's lighter and can be cheaper than a SPOT, allows 2 way communication, and is the first thing a loved one is going to think of calling if there is an issue. In the mountains even GPS based devices can have issues (see the woman who died on Washington this winter and where her transponder said she was). Two way communication is important. Plus there can be emergencies that are not yours that can alter your hike - parents, grandparents, siblings, etc..., all could have issues over the course of your hike that you need to do something about. They can't reach you on a SPOT. If you're going out for a few days that's one thing (although it's easy to just let people know to only contact you in case of an emergency). If you're out for a thru that's another story. Not to mention most people who carry a SPOT carry it on their packs where it can be hard or impossible to reach in an emergency. A cell fits in a hip belt pocket. Not bringing a cell to me is like when you see people at a ski resort nowadays without a helmet on. Why not bring one?

You brought TOPOs on a thru?

In the end, if it works for you then do your thing. I just don't understand the logic behind not bringing a cell on a east coast hike, especially since it can be used to save weight for most people.
    Yes, there are benefits of carrying a cell. I get that. I have to admit, I'm a no cell guy on and off the trail. Snail mail, home phone, and PC for email/internet connection. No, I'm not a thru hiker. Just a section hiker who is really into cartography, observation and an interest in where he is and what he is looking at. Hence the TOPOS. For myself, and others, I would hope, no cell/electronics is a great way to experience the trail, and sadly, in this day and age, an alternative way to experience the trail. Although I do realize that this loaded issue has been played out over the years on this site, as I have been a member for most of the sites existence. It is still relevant, as our eastern backcountry has become more accessible and connectivity has increased exponentially. Again, it's now become a philosophy, albeit old-school. How does a cell phone save weight if your not carrying the alternatives to begin with? You say 'You carry Topos?' I say, 'You carry electronics?' As my signature has suggested for 10+ years, simplify. Minimize risk, experience, philosophy, and dare I say HYOH. P.s. I'm assuming your are referring to Kate Matrosova when you talk about the person who died on Washington. She actually perished on Mt. Madison, just north of Star Lake, and although her transponder pinged multiple different positions, it turned out that the first ping was the correct location, and in the conditions she decided to hike in, no correct ping would have mattered in the long run, imo. -DT
    Henry David Thoreau

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++