WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Shuttle Needed NY 22 to Hoyt Road, Conn Section 2

I am looking for a shuttle to pick up at Hoyt Road or Conn 55 at the border of NY and Connecticut, and drop off at the NY 22 Metro-North Railroad station in NY. I have the name and number of the Pawling Train Station Taxi. Has anyone used them or have another suggestion? I am looking to hike this section northbound before I meet another group the next day to hike in Connecticut. I am driving and not taking the train. Thanks any comments or suggestions you might have.

Journal Entries

Marilyn Wiley aka "the Cookie Lady" in Mass...shuttles in that area...great people!!!...I believe you can find her info in here or online under Applachain Train list of shuttle services..

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Madpaddy View Post
    Marilyn Wiley aka "the Cookie Lady" in Mass...shuttles in that area...great people!!!...I believe you can find her info in here or online under Applachain Train list of shuttle services..
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

Journal Entries

That is a very short section, I assume a day hike, that distance would most likely be better handled by a local taxi. The cookie lady is apx 1-2 hours north of that location.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    That is a very short section, I assume a day hike, that distance would most likely be better handled by a local taxi. The cookie lady is apx 1-2 hours north of that location.
    I saw that too. I contacted 2 more local places from the AT shuttle list, and will call the Pawling taxi tomorrow. And yes, it is an overnight hike, before we meet others for another day of hiking. Thanks.

Images

pawling taxi did this for us. was about $25 from the Native Landscapes/ AT RR station back to Hoyt Rd. They also shuttled us from Rt 52 back to 22. Very hiker friendly.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

we did both as short overnight sections at wiley and telephone pioneers respectively. they bring an old minivan that you dont feel bad getting in with packs and are very used to hikers. tip well so they keep it up!

I recently called Pawling Taxi to get to the train station and minimize walking on an injured knee. When I told them I have a sservice dog, I was told they would not take me [illegal] and after a bit of harranging they agreed to take me if I would pay for whatever it costs for them to get the inside of their car cleaned at a car wash [also illegal]. I ended up getting a ride from some day hikers and didn't feel bad cancelling the taxi after it had already started out - something I would normally never do. Even if it weren't illegal, there is something troubling about this effort to get extra $$ out of disabled people in a place where there isn't much public transit for those who can't drive. Hiker friendly? really? Except in really weird situations, a service dog is going to be cleaner than the humans who traversed the same environment. In that situation my dog was perfectly clean, while I was far from it. A trained service dog isn't going to be rolling on the seats or doing anything to dirty up a car. Mine sits at my feet. Sometimes in a Taxi where there is no floor space, she will have her butt on the floor and her front legs on mine. Not on the car's seat. But obviously, if they have a policy of turning away disabled people with service dogs, they wouldn't know this. If a service dog is disruptive and not properly behaved, you can refuse entrance or kick them out. [legal].
    I guess I wanted to put this in as a warning to others with service dogs, who don't want to spend their day waiting on the police to force a taxi ride. And just in case other hikers care about this sort of illegal discrimination.

Images

ok - i dont have a service dog so that was not an experience i had with them. understand your complaint.

Images

I'm not sure when you're coming through, but I live nearby and I'm usually around during the week. Be happy to help out, hit me up on the PM...
    “If there’s one thing the AT teaches, it is low-level ecstasy—something we could all do with more of in our lives.”

Also refer to this shuttle list.The Wiley's live far from this. Also try Jess Treat in the ALDHA or AWOL Book of Sheffield, MA.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...a.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Maybe if you complain to the ATC or to the town of Pawling they can change this!

I'm referring to the Taxi refusing to take someone with a service dog.

Please file a complaint with the town of Pawling and the ATC!

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I recently called Pawling Taxi to get to the train station and minimize walking on an injured knee. When I told them I have a sservice dog, I was told they would not take me [illegal] and after a bit of harranging they agreed to take me if I would pay for whatever it costs for them to get the inside of their car cleaned at a car wash [also illegal]. I ended up getting a ride from some day hikers and didn't feel bad cancelling the taxi after it had already started out - something I would normally never do. Even if it weren't illegal, there is something troubling about this effort to get extra $$ out of disabled people in a place where there isn't much public transit for those who can't drive. Hiker friendly? really? Except in really weird situations, a service dog is going to be cleaner than the humans who traversed the same environment. In that situation my dog was perfectly clean, while I was far from it. A trained service dog isn't going to be rolling on the seats or doing anything to dirty up a car. Mine sits at my feet. Sometimes in a Taxi where there is no floor space, she will have her butt on the floor and her front legs on mine. Not on the car's seat. But obviously, if they have a policy of turning away disabled people with service dogs, they wouldn't know this. If a service dog is disruptive and not properly behaved, you can refuse entrance or kick them out. [legal].
    I guess I wanted to put this in as a warning to others with service dogs, who don't want to spend their day waiting on the police to force a taxi ride. And just in case other hikers care about this sort of illegal discrimination.

++ New Posts ++