WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Feb 1st start date

Anyone else out there thinking of a beginning of February start date? Have to start early because of work. Have lots of winter backpacking/ camping experience so outside of the pack weight and possible zero days and not getting the high miles at the start, things will be fine so please no one try to tell me their reasons why I shouldn't lol😀
    see you all out there
    gottab

I always go out in February and January too and so it's just another day in paradise. Alot of people will say "Don't Do It!!" but alot of people are scared of cold weather or rain or frost or wind or the colors green and brown.

Study the experience of previous AT winter thruhikers. A couple started last January---Boots and Backpacks are their trailnames---and they talked about tackling the winter trail and ended up indoors during some hard arctic dips (January 6-7) and spent two whole weeks holed up indoors during a long stretch of bad weather. I know because I was out during those times and eager to see if they stuck with it and didn't bail.

If you have adequate food and shelter and good winter gear you won't have to bail into a town during winter storms. Hole up in your tent and pull your zeros outside and in your tent. I'm a purist in this regard---I want to see backpackers stick out rough weather and not bug out.

Plus, you may want to carry a pair of microspikes.

I think one of the biggest tests is whether or not people can have fun in all kinds of weather. I know I'm having fun when I can enjoy hiking in the rain and snow. You just have to be prepared with the right clothing and equipment...if you are not you are putting your life at risk. A couple years ago a father and his two kids were out for a day hike...it was 60s and sunny during the day, so they ended up going farther than they had planned on...about 10 miles from the campground. Around 4pm they turned around and headed back. It started raining, the temperature dropped and it got dark. When nightfall came and they hadn't turned up at the campground they started sending out search parties...on foot, on ATV's and on horseback. Because they took shelter off the trail all of the search parties passed them by. When the rain tapered off they got back on the trail. But they missed the fork in the trail that would have led them back to their camp, so as search parties continued looking they were looking in the wrong area. If they hadn't missed that fork they would have easily made it back to camp, it was not that far from the fork. The next morning searchers found his backpack on the trail where it crossed a logging road. It hadn't been there the night before, which is what tipped the searchers off that they had left the trail. A short time later they found all three of them huddled lifeless under a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I think one of the biggest tests is whether or not people can have fun in all kinds of weather. I know I'm having fun when I can enjoy hiking in the rain and snow. You just have to be prepared with the right clothing and equipment...if you are not you are putting your life at risk. A couple years ago a father and his two kids were out for a day hike...it was 60s and sunny during the day, so they ended up going farther than they had planned on...about 10 miles from the campground. Around 4pm they turned around and headed back. It started raining, the temperature dropped and it got dark. When nightfall came and they hadn't turned up at the campground they started sending out search parties...on foot, on ATV's and on horseback. Because they took shelter off the trail all of the search parties passed them by. When the rain tapered off they got back on the trail. But they missed the fork in the trail that would have led them back to their camp, so as search parties continued looking they were looking in the wrong area. If they hadn't missed that fork they would have easily made it back to camp, it was not that far from the fork. The next morning searchers found his backpack on the trail where it crossed a logging road. It hadn't been there the night before, which is what tipped the searchers off that they had left the trail. A short time later they found all three of them huddled lifeless under a tree.
    I have studied their deaths in detail. You only say "the temperature dropped and it got dark." You leave out the most critical pieces of information. They encountered what I have come to call the Decareaux Cycle, named after David Decareaux and his two sons.

Sure, they started on the trail with 60F temps. Then they got hit with rain at around 40F. Soaked. And then they encountered the Cycle---rain followed by cold. After they got soaked the temps dipped below freezing to around 29F. Lethal.

So, we here in the Southeast get hit by this Cycle frequently---a long cold rain followed by frigid cold. I don't know how many of these Decareaux cycles I have been in---and it's common to get a winter rain at 35F for 2 days followed by 10F or below right afterwards. When it happens to dayhikers in the space of 15 or 18 hours, well, they better have a Plan B, rain gear, a couple space blankets, a good headlamp and even a shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ---a long cold rain followed by frigid cold. I don't know how many of these Decareaux cycles I have been in---and it's common to get a winter rain at 35F for 2 days followed by 10F or below right afterwards. When it happens to dayhikers in the space of 15 or 18 hours, well, they better have a Plan B, rain gear, a couple space blankets, a good headlamp and even a shelter.

And some WOOL!

I'm planning a mid Feb start. I'd like to head out earlier but can't swing it.
    Best of luck to you!

Images

I'm starting around 10 FEB 2016. I would be right behind. I mind cold weather, but like the honey badger......I just don't give a ****.
    "Oh.....there it is!"

With a Feb 1 start date and expecting to make regular forward progress you better know what the f--k is up. Most ATers can not/will not hack weathering out on the trail as Tipi. He not only has his gear dialed but his head screwed on straight to be doing what he does in winter AND he is NOT thru-hiking. Account for extra do re mi for the extra town stops, extra high cal food, and possible gear additions with that start as they will likely occur.

All the best to you early Feb starters.

The good news is it probably won't be as cold down south as it was last year. The bad news is it will probably be a lot wetter. Being cold all the time is one thing, being cold and wet all the time is quite another. Your looking at about 2.5 months of being cold and wet - good luck!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottab View Post
    Anyone else out there thinking of a beginning of February start date? Have to start early because of work. Have lots of winter backpacking/ camping experience so outside of the pack weight and possible zero days and not getting the high miles at the start, things will be fine so please no one try to tell me their reasons why I shouldn't lol
    see you all out there
    gottab
    We started on 12/30 this past year for our NOBO. We had great weather for the first month or so. Once Febuary came in so did the snow, and lots of it. We had around 350-400 miles in snow, and it was great. As long as you're prepared you'll be fine. We were ready for nights to drop below zero, and we were never cold. Sleeping in your tent will add about 10 degrees of warmth, and we slept in our tent a lot for the first couple months. We also had down pants, down jacket, and down booties. You should be concerned about your water freezing at night, and don't rely on a filter during this time as our froze several times. Don't listen to the people that tell you you're crazy.
    AT15
    OT15

Also, feel free to contact us if you have any questions. To my knowledge there were 2 NOBO's that started on 12/30 (us), and another that started on 1/1 that finished the trail. About another 12-15 hikers that started around the same time that did not finish. While your odds of finishing greatly diminish with starting at that time of the year. It is very possible for it to be done. Not to mention we had our 11lb Miniature Dachshund with us who only needed to be carried for 50 miles of the entire trail. I forgot to mention that you'll have some issues in the southern part due to places not being open yet.
    AT15
    OT15

This thread is sobering and heartening at the same time. I plan to make a February start as well. Because I'm a romantic, I was thinking of a Feb 14th start date. Since most gear threads are focused on the March/May starters, I've been trying to figure out what I'll need that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by foxandhare View Post
    This thread is sobering and heartening at the same time. I plan to make a February start as well. Because I'm a romantic, I was thinking of a Feb 14th start date. Since most gear threads are focused on the March/May starters, I've been trying to figure out what I'll need that's different.
    There are some gear questions such as how warm is your sleeping bag? Have you tried it in <20 degree weather? Can you tie knots for your shelter or buckle your pack in gloves and or mittens? You have time to try all your gear out before Feb. For the rest of gear I would ask Tipi.
    The other thing of hiking in the winter is a mind for it. It is beautiful. it can be deadly if you are not prepared for it or unwilling to hunker down or bail if conditions warrant it. How much winter/snow hiking have you done Also I have spikes that fit on my boots for icy conditions. FOr deep snow I snowshoe but have not heard of anyone doing it on the AT

I spent many weekends after Columbus Day backpacking in the White Mountains in the 80s and 90s, with skis and snowshoes. I feel comfortable with my plan for a February 13 start date. My primary question is whether I need the Zero bag or will a 20 deg. bag work? Will the coldest part be Georgia or the Smokies?

The coldest part will be there when it gets there. Maybe more than once.
    "It's never over 'till it's over."
    The point being: You won't know until it happens.
    Case in point: Big snow storm and cold weather the last week of March, first week of April, 2013. Chased a lot of people off the Trail and into towns. Every year folks starting in March say that they catch up to people who started in February.
    It's all on the Internet if you look.
    Have a great hike. Be safe.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

A 20 degree bag will not work. It's ridiculous to even ask that question.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

-

for a mid Feb start a 10F set up is about right, not the rating, what has been tested by you to work at that temp

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    for a mid Feb start a 10F set up is about right, not the rating, what has been tested by you to work at that temp
    I'm not sure about this. This last mid February saw -17 in some parts. I think once you're past February you'll be fine, but I wouldn't want to chance it that early on.
    AT15
    OT15

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    I'm not sure about this. This last mid February saw -17 in some parts. I think once you're past February you'll be fine, but I wouldn't want to chance it that early on.
    You guys started in January so were up in the NC highlands in mid February. For those starting in mid Feb, they won't get to the Smokies until early March, but that's when the big, wet snow storms hit there. If the El Nino predictions pan out, it shouldn't be nearly as cold down south as it was last year, but it could be wetter and with more snow.

For me starting that early, the lack of color would get depressing after a while. Nothing to see but a barren, gray and brown landscape for several months. It's bad enough starting in early April, but at least the valleys are in bloom and moving up the ridge and your in NC during the peak of wild flower season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Currently thinking around February 7th for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++