WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rain

Tropical Storm Joaquin... from Weather Underground...

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...?entrynum=3129

3day-prcp-12Z-9.29.15.jpg

If you are taking a fiancee, be *darn* sure that she will enjoy a trek in the rain. Yeah, you might be able to finish the trip, but if it isn't an "I'd do it again" experience for the both of you, what's the point.

If you are taking a fiancee, be *darn* sure that she will enjoy a trek in the rain. Yeah, you might be able to finish the trip, but if it isn't an "I'd do it again" experience for the both of you, what's the point.

Flood watch across much of eastern USA for next few days...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/us/eas...tch/index.html

I would still want to go, but maybe find a different area to hike in that is outside of the storm's path. A big part of hiking for me is having a nice view. Walking in the clouds all day does not allow for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Oh... hurricane is different than just rain.... I'd have to pass on this one if I were you.
    Oh, come on, the hurricane is tracking north, isn't it?

Journal Entries

At the end of the day, HYOH. Just don't kill your dog and loose your lady in the process, if you can help it!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Lots of rain softens the ground. Add wind, and you get blowdowns. The trail sometimes resembles a creek after heavy rains . Wet surfaces are slippery. You are pretty much planning to test your gear . But finding water will be no problem.
    Monitor the weather carefully and make your own call.

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    Lots of rain softens the ground. Add wind, and you get blowdowns. The trail sometimes resembles a creek after heavy rains . Wet surfaces are slippery. You are pretty much planning to test your gear . But finding water will be no problem.
    Monitor the weather carefully and make your own call.
    Yeah, basically if the forcast improves a little by Thursday night, we'll go, if it worsens we'll find a plan B. If it holds the same, then I don't know what.

If you want and adventure and suffer-fest, go for it. I love doing that type of thing at times. I don't like doing that type of thing with my wife and dog. A cold, wet, muddy dog is not fun to sleep with and leaving her outside the shelter is not an option in miserable weather.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    If you want and adventure and suffer-fest, go for it. I love doing that type of thing at times. I don't like doing that type of thing with my wife and dog. A cold, wet, muddy dog is not fun to sleep with and leaving her outside the shelter is not an option in miserable weather.
    No doubt. If it were just me, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I'd go for sure. I like punishment.

Here in N Va they're calling it a nor'easter. High winds and heavy rain starting Thursday, through Saturday. Up to 5" rain forecast around here, talking about making up our 4" precip deficit in 3 days.

Personally, I'd rather do that section in nicer weather when you can have fun and enjoy some views.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Here in N Va they're calling it a nor'easter. High winds and heavy rain starting Thursday, through Saturday. Up to 5" rain forecast around here, talking about making up our 4" precip deficit in 3 days.

Personally, I'd rather do that section in nicer weather when you can have fun and enjoy some views.
    Yeah. Zero views would be disappointing.

Journal Entries

Better to be home warm and dry wishing you were in the woods then to be in the woods cold and wet wishing you were home.

Images

I've always felt that some of my better hiking stories occur in rain, wind, snow, sleet, etc... but on the flip side, sometimes it is just downright miserable. During my 2009 thru-hike, I didn't see the sun for 15 straight days in Central VA, including a flash-flood & 12 days of rain showers. I ended up on my backside covered in mud more than a few times (partially because I was hiking in crocs that had nearly 1,000 AT miles on them at the time)...

I'd still go, but I can certainly see all points of view on this one. Warm dry clothes, a positive attitude, and some good hearty food should do the trick! Just my two pennies...
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

So the thing is, if you're a thru-hiker or long distance hiker you mostly have to put up with whatever the weather dishes out. Hunker down, scoot for cover in town, or plow through it.

OTOH if you're a weekend warrior or planning a short section, and there's a hurricane forecast for the middle of it... why subject yourself to that? Why not just change your schedule a bit, if that's an option?

Local TV news reported 6 inches today at wintergreen (vicinity of the priest/three ridges).

Did that section this July when weather was hot & dry. The views from Dragon Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs were outstanding! I would not want to hike in the muck, rain and miss those views, but that's just me. It would be much more enjoyable in better weather.

What are the winds speeds they are calling for? Dragons tooth will be tricky with all that rain. What I am wondering about is, Would the winds be strong enough to topple the trees or large branches? If there is no heavy wind I say go if you can keep warm and be prepared to hold up somewhere or turn back if it is more than you feel safe with.

not looking good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++