Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any 2016 Florida Trail hikers on here?

Hi, I'm planning to do a thru hike this winter NOBO from the Ranger station on Alligator Alley. Are there other Florida Trail forums that are more active? I'm a beginner and I looking for some guys with some hiking experience to learn from.

i'm getting the 2016 Trail book which comes out the middle of October. How early could I go? I want to finish as early as possible to create some recuperation time for my AT thru hike in early March.

The trail takes about 3 months if you're not in a hurry. I've only sectioned about 250 miles from the terminus but have done a lot of other hiking in Florida. Trail angels are hard to come by, and there's a lot more road walking that you'd think. The guide helps tremendously with info, but the trail seems to change constantly with reroutes. It's also a trail that many locals don't even know exist. One thing I'd recommend is an umbrella to keep the sun off you. Did a section last year in December and it was pushing 90 a few days and walked miles without a shade tree in sight. You also need permits to camp in certain areas. Stealth camping abounds though it's not legal in many places. Almost stepped on a gator in a slough that really surprised me would support a gator that big (bout 5 footer) and sloshed through swamps up to my waist that I KNOW had to have gators, but that's all part of the journey. Ants will be you're biggest pain, with pigs rooting up the trail a close 2nd. Hiking boots aren't necessary. Trail runners would be better IMO. Get gaiters to keep the sand out too. I honestly don't think the FT gets you in physical shape for the AT. Never climbed a hill in FL over a 100 feet. However, it'll give you a chance to dial in your gear before you start the AT

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    The trail takes about 3 months if you're not in a hurry. I've only sectioned about 250 miles from the terminus but have done a lot of other hiking in Florida. Trail angels are hard to come by, and there's a lot more road walking that you'd think. The guide helps tremendously with info, but the trail seems to change constantly with reroutes. It's also a trail that many locals don't even know exist. One thing I'd recommend is an umbrella to keep the sun off you. Did a section last year in December and it was pushing 90 a few days and walked miles without a shade tree in sight. You also need permits to camp in certain areas. Stealth camping abounds though it's not legal in many places. Almost stepped on a gator in a slough that really surprised me would support a gator that big (bout 5 footer) and sloshed through swamps up to my waist that I KNOW had to have gators, but that's all part of the journey. Ants will be you're biggest pain, with pigs rooting up the trail a close 2nd. Hiking boots aren't necessary. Trail runners would be better IMO. Get gaiters to keep the sand out too. I honestly don't think the FT gets you in physical shape for the AT. Never climbed a hill in FL over a 100 feet. However, it'll give you a chance to dial in your gear before you start the AT
    Thanks, I guess once I get the book and look thing over I'll just do some section hikes instead.

Which sections would be the most scenic and fun? The panhandle? Ocala?

Given you want to finish early to mid Febuary you might want to consider a southbound trip. I live near the section that goes through the Avon Park Bombing Range. I'll be glade to help out, deliver resupplies, etc. Just message me and we can stay in touch.

We are planning some section hikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    Thanks, I guess once I get the book and look thing over I'll just do some section hikes instead.

Which sections would be the most scenic and fun? The panhandle? Ocala?
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the FT, just a difft kind of hiking. Can't wait to get back down there after Christmas to pick up where I left off. I've done most of Ocala. Awesome stretch. Saw a bobcat strolling down the FT in there. I'd also recommend the first 50 miles starting from Loop Road to the Seminole Reservation. Dude hiking a day behind me in that section saw a Florida panther and got it on camera. Don't skip the 5 miles from Loop road to the new southern terminus. Beautiful swamp stomp. I've never been north of ocala.

Images

Check out Stumpknockers Trail Journal: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=396298

I sent him several e-mails about his equipment and he was VERY nice to reply.

Good luck on your hike. Looking forward to any journaling you may do, as that will be my next trail to try.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the FT, just a difft kind of hiking. Can't wait to get back down there after Christmas to pick up where I left off. I've done most of Ocala. Awesome stretch. Saw a bobcat strolling down the FT in there. I'd also recommend the first 50 miles starting from Loop Road to the Seminole Reservation. Dude hiking a day behind me in that section saw a Florida panther and got it on camera. Don't skip the 5 miles from Loop road to the new southern terminus. Beautiful swamp stomp. I've never been north of ocala.
    Good stuff!! Yeah, i think you are referring to that little stretch that goes south of the Ranger Station into the Everglades.... I want to check that out, but it looks like it would be even more flooded than the northern part that goes to I-75. When would it not be flooded up to my knees?

Quote Originally Posted by bendback View Post
    Given you want to finish early to mid Febuary you might want to consider a southbound trip. I live near the section that goes through the Avon Park Bombing Range. I'll be glade to help out, deliver resupplies, etc. Just message me and we can stay in touch.
    When would be the optimal time to start SOBO from Penescola?

Assuming you would want to finish mid February to get ready for you AT trip I would say now to end of October.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    When would it not be flooded up to my knees?
    That varies by the year. Sometimes it's dry by Thanksgiving. Sometimes it's still wet in the Spring. Not sure if this year has been a wet one or not. I'd call the ranger station and ask them.

That varies by the year. Sometimes it's dry by Thanksgiving. Sometimes it's still wet in the Spring. Not sure if this year has been a wet one or not. I'd call the ranger station and ask them.
    It's been wet, with a prediction for a wetter than normal fall and winter

Just some notes on southern Florida Trail

The Oasis Ranger Station is on Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) not on Aligator Alley (I-95).

The current southern terminus is at the Ranger Station now, although I suppose you could do the section to Loop Road south of there unless they have removed all blazes.

The Trail has been relocated from Avon Park Bomb Range to the east side of the Kissimmee River at Micco Landing and through Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park and then back to the west side of the river at the S-65A locks and KICCO Town (abandoned town site) and KICCO Wildlife Management Area.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wingedmonkey

"The Trail has been relocated from Avon Park Bomb Range to the east side of the Kissimmee River at Micco Landing and through Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park and then back to the west side of the river at the S-65A locks and KICCO Town (abandoned town site) and KICCO Wildlife Management Area"

The FT web site shows both trails in the bombing range area as if to give the hiker a choice. Would you know if that is the
    case or is the old bombing range trail actually closed? Thanks

I live in the panhandle so I'm biased, but North Fl is far more scenic than anywhere south of Orlando. We have massive old oaks, gentle rolling hills west of Tallahassee, and winter is generally mild but not hot. So if you want to hike in Fl but stay out of the sun, hike Pensacola to Suwannee. And stop by Torreya on your way through if you want to do some "real" hiking. Torreya is a beautiful state park on the Apalachicola River, containing the "mountains of Florida"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Quote Originally Posted by alymalo View Post
    I live in the panhandle so I'm biased, but North Fl is far more scenic than anywhere south of Orlando. We have massive old oaks, gentle rolling hills west of Tallahassee, and winter is generally mild but not hot. So if you want to hike in Fl but stay out of the sun, hike Pensacola to Suwannee. And stop by Torreya on your way through if you want to do some "real" hiking. Torreya is a beautiful state park on the Apalachicola River, containing the "mountains of Florida"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok, cool! I'll check it out. I'm getting the rest of my gear ordered by week's end. I am going to shoot for a November 1st start in Pensacola, FL. Going to call Gainsville tomorrow to get registered.

i'll show you guys my set-up when it gets here in middle October

good luck, let me know if there is anything I can do to help out when you hit central Florida

We're planning a hike starting around mid-Jan, So. Terminus going north as far as we can.
    -Omar Morales
    Future AT hiker

Quote Originally Posted by bendback View Post

Wingedmonkey

"The Trail has been relocated from Avon Park Bomb Range to the east side of the Kissimmee River at Micco Landing and through Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park and then back to the west side of the river at the S-65A locks and KICCO Town (abandoned town site) and KICCO Wildlife Management Area"

The FT web site shows both trails in the bombing range area as if to give the hiker a choice. Would you know if that is the
    case or is the old bombing range trail actually closed? Thanks
    Going North:

The blazes have been removed on the road walk along U.S 98 from Fort Basinger to Hickory Hammock.

The trail in Hickory Hammock is still maintained as internal trail and as connecting trail to Bluff Hammock. The local clubs still use both Hickory and Bluff but not as a part of the FNST

The trail north after Bluff Hammock through Boney Marsh has been abandoned and the boardwalks removed (what was left of them).

It is not clear if Avon Park Bomb Range still considers it OK to cross the fence (on either south or north borders) into Range property since they have been told that the official trail has been moved, and the blazes while not removed, have not been maintained for several years.

The blazes from Avon Range north to Kicco Town site have not been maintained for at least a year.

All that said I still want to try and do a loop this season using the old trial and the new trail. I would not recommend it to anyone not use to waist or chest high overgrown swamp. I might need an air-boat extraction.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

There is a FT hiker Kickoff in early January where you can get together with other hikers to go through the Big Cypress swamp. It should be in the new guidebook or on the floridahikes.com website.

Going SOBO, pay attention to hunting seasons. They start around Thanksgiving. In some places you can't hike while hunting is going on, and each land district has different seasons, so you can't assume that because it is over in one place it will be over in the next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++