WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Gear List Review Request

If anyone is willing, I would appreciate a review of my current gear list. My start date is 2/25, so I am a bit heavy on the clothing weight compared to someone starting 6 weeks later, I'd guess.

A few things I am not sure about:

• Boots vs. trail runners (with or without gaiters?) for the start? Right now I am leaning towards boots with the idea of switching to trail runners after Mt. Rogers.
    • For an early winter start, I feel like I need a full set of clothes for day and a dry set for night. That might be reduced when it gets a bit warmer and hypothermia is not as big a risk. My sleepipng bag is warm. I have a 4oz silk liner. Not sure if I need it or not in light of my camp/night clothes? Do I need it?

On my list, items with a gold star means that I need to still buy them. If you have a better suggestion, let me know. If there is no gold star, it is unlikely that I am going to trade out an already owned big ticket item for a similar big ticket item. For example, I got a smoking deal on a Thermoball jacket by The North Face and would not be inclined to trade it for a Patagonia Nano Puff, which is very simialr and gets similar ratings. Same with my Super Mega UL 1 tent although I am open to swapping that out for a tarp or a hammock when it is a bit warmer.

Here is the link to my gear: http://lighterpack.com/r/4xcgvt

Any feedback is welcome and thanks a lot for helping me out.

Wazo

www.trailjournals.com/wazo

I'll add my $0.02 worth...

Things I'd add: 1) spare waterproof stuff sack (doesn't need to be a roll-top) for my boots/shoes at the beginning of the hike. You put your wet footwear & socks in the stuff sack & inside your sleeping bag. At the beginning of the next morning, it'll still be wet but it won't be frozen solid; 2) MicroSpikes for traction in icy conditions... wish I had them on my hike & I started the 3rd week in March... saw some people end their hike due to some falls that could have been prevented w/ MicroSpikes.

Things I'd consider changing out: 1) Zlite sleeping pad may be a little low on R-Value for a Feb start; 2) a 4-5 oz titanium cook pot w/ a sub 3 oz stove would greatly lighten up your cook set; a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil stuff sack would be ounces lighter & still be water proof; 3) I'm sure you won't be taking your bug net @ the start; 4) a Platypus 2L Hoser set-up would take probably 3.5 oz off your current set-up.

I wish you luck in your planning. Enjoy your hike.

Zman
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I'll add my $0.02 worth...

Things I'd add: 1) spare waterproof stuff sack (doesn't need to be a roll-top) for my boots/shoes at the beginning of the hike. You put your wet footwear & socks in the stuff sack & inside your sleeping bag. At the beginning of the next morning, it'll still be wet but it won't be frozen solid; 2) MicroSpikes for traction in icy conditions... wish I had them on my hike & I started the 3rd week in March... saw some people end their hike due to some falls that could have been prevented w/ MicroSpikes.

Things I'd consider changing out: 1) Zlite sleeping pad may be a little low on R-Value for a Feb start; 2) a 4-5 oz titanium cook pot w/ a sub 3 oz stove would greatly lighten up your cook set; a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil stuff sack would be ounces lighter & still be water proof; 3) I'm sure you won't be taking your bug net @ the start; 4) a Platypus 2L Hoser set-up would take probably 3.5 oz off your current set-up.

I wish you luck in your planning. Enjoy your hike.

Zman
    Zman - Thanks. This is all really good advice. The minimo is a gift and I will likely stick with it knowing that it just about doubles my stove/pot combined weight - a luxuary item of sorts. The suggestino about microspikes is one that I appreciate. I've seen people go both ways on this but have been leaning towards getting them. Same with upgrading the sleeping pad.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

There is only one way: Traction Device. Don't wait until you slip to put them on.
    R-5 minimum or sleep cold. Especially true on a drafty floor in a shelter. EN bag ratings include an R-5 pad.
    Food seems a bit heavy or maybe not. You'll figure that out sone enough.
    Personally, I would have a full layer of silk and a full layer of wool. And I do. Then fleece, down vest and wind/WPB outer layer.

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I updated my gear list based on feedback I've gotten here adn from others. It is kind of a work in progress. Thanks for your help. I really am very grateful.

You're spending a lot of money and adding a lot of weight to do the job of 1 trash compactor bag and a few Ziplock bags.
    You might need 1 or 2 bottles of hot (not boiling) water in your bag on the coldest nights.
    Have fun!

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Used something like this for my 2012 attempt and THESE for 2016:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

Not sure if the above are as durable as my originals, but I can 't find those anymore.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I have a similar pair of glove/mittens. Mine are all wool. I think hunters use them. Have you tried Gander Mountain or Cabela's?
    My favorite hand coverings are a pair of very light Gore-Tex runner's mittens. Worn alone, with light synthetic gloves inside or wool mittens over. Very versatile.

Wayne

No gear advice, I just wanted to say I laughed at your note for the Hat.

Also, what battery pack are you using? For that weight I have seen much lower mAh an would be interested in checking it out.

1) PLEASE don't get a Hoser. If you want to go platypus get a Big Zip. Hosers have one small hole to fill and clean so it's a bit of a pain. (it was a suggestion which I don't think you listened too but just in case) 2) You don't have fuel on your list. If you plan on cooking anything you might want that.

I'm also curious if you've actually weighed everything and not just made some estimates. And I am also wondering what battery pack you are using?

Blister care?

tape and ointment in first aid kit.

Thanks again to everyone for your time and suggestions. Very kind.

Please double check your food and water. You post 0.19 lb. I determine closer to 12.9 POUNDS as opposed to 3 ounces

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heckyesnugent View Post
    1) PLEASE don't get a Hoser. If you want to go platypus get a Big Zip. Hosers have one small hole to fill and clean so it's a bit of a pain. (it was a suggestion which I don't think you listened too but just in case) 2) You don't have fuel on your list. If you plan on cooking anything you might want that.
    Bah, the Hoser is great! My wife and I both have 3L Hosers and couldn't be happier. We don't put dirty water into them so they don't need cleaned, and added quick disconnects in the hydration lines which enables us to refill the bladders without opening the packs. Very happy to not have another way into the bladder which is a potential source of leaks. Inexpensive, durable, light, and simple.

I actually have weighed every item I own. If it is a to be purchased, it is marked with a star. In those cases, I have either gone with the weight listed in the specs, if available. If is isn't available, I've looked online to find a weight in places like WhiteBlaze.net. When I get a product, I weigh it and replace the reported weight with what I get on my kitchen scale. Most of the time, things are a bit heavier but not always.

About my battery pack, I entered the weight incorrectly on my gear list. I am not reassessing what I will use for a battery pack. Any suggestions? For now, I am planning to use my phone for everything - phone, camera, kindle.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and comments. Keep 'em coming.

If you plan to read a lot, you will save an enormous amount of battery life by taking an actual Kindle instead of using a phone app.

WazoAZ, you've listed 8 pounds of food and 4.4 pounds of l water but only show 0.19 pounds of provisions for total weight in that heading. I don't know where the error is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    If you plan to read a lot, you will save an enormous amount of battery life by taking an actual Kindle instead of using a phone app.
    Truth. A suggestion I was given to help with using a phone as a reader is to switch the app from black text on a white background to white text on a black background. Takes a little getting used to but with OLED screens black means the pixel is off, not just blocked like with an LCD, so it should save you a bit of battery. How much? Probably not that much, but every little bit helps.

My opinions:

1) Boots vs trail runners - normally I'd say trail runners without gaiters but starting in Feb is a little different. I'd say wait and see what the winter is like before making the call. FWIW I do run and hike in trail runners on snow - as long as you're not breaking trail it's usually OK. Then again when I'm doing that I'm only out for a day hike.
    2) I kept a dry set of clothes with me the whole time. I had my hiking clothes and an essentially second set that were dry and slightly cleaner for camp/town.
    3) Do you really need a ground cloth?
    4) Consider avoiding the ZPacks stuff sack - they're delicate. I got a tear in one of mine. Duct tape worked to fix it but my Sea to Summit eVac Dry Sack that I used for my sleeping bag the whole time had no issues.
    5) Are your gloves waterproof? If so, no need for the rain mitts
    6) Consider running shorts with a liner. I started with some shorts similar to your convertible pants plus some merino boxers. The boxers got holes in them quickly and because the shorts were a fixed waist size they ended up with a lot of extra slack pretty early on. Even with a belt they looked silly. I ditched the boxers and just did running shorts. Should have done that the whole time. Also since you have rain pants you probably don't also need convertible pants. Just wear shorts.
    7) I see what looks like 2 long base layers - a Thermasilk crew for day and night, then a Thermasilk pant and an Icebreaker leggings. I'd say only one long base layer and use it day or night as needed.
    8) Consider Vivobarefoot shoes instead of the Sockwas. They seem a little more durable. I also saw someone use an insole in them which I thought was brilliant - the soles are thin and you feel the rocks under your feet so an insole would help (probably same with Sockwas). And I do recommend a camp shoe, even with trail runners. Having something dry to put your feet into after a cold wet day is nice.
    9) I say ditch both of your water bags. You have like 3.5L of capacity and you'll never need that. I started with the Sawyer bags but they ended up tearing and it isn't easy to find replacements once you get north. I ended up with 3 Smart 700ml bottles. One was dirty, the other two were clean. If I knew I was going a longer distance with limited water I'd fill all 3 bottles (2.1L). Most of the time I just filled the clean ones. I kept them in a pocket I could easily reach while hiking.
    10) Don't bother with gaiters. Or at least don't start with them - if you want some just check hiker boxes. They're a common item.
    11) Leave the extra batteries at home. You're only likely 3 days from town max if your headlamp dies. That's 2 nights. Just don't night hike for 2 nights until you get new batteries. Also FWIW I started with some good Lithium Ion batteries in my headlamp and they lasted the whole time with no issues. Modern LED headlamps don't use much battery. No need to carry extra.
    12) For a pillow, try putting your extra clothes in a stuff sack. Then take your long base layer (or another layer not being worn at night) and put the stuff sack inside of one of the legs. It's decently comfortable plus it gives you a washable pillowcase. You're going to be dirty and so is your pillowcase. If you're susceptible to eye infections you're going to want to be able to wash your pillowcase.
    13) It would be best to try on a pack cover in a store rather than buying the ZPacks one. I had the ZPacks one and it didn't fit my pack all that great. I know other people had the same issue. I wouldn't go with that again.
    14) Consider getting the PDF version of AWOL's guide instead of carrying a guidebook. Bytes don't weigh anything. Bonus feature: it is searchable.
    15) I liked OPSacks to keep my food in. I had no mice, squirrel, bear, etc... issues. The ZPacks bag is not odor proof.
    16) Odds and ends: Duct tape? Safety pins (to pin wet socks and other clothing to your bag so it can dry)? An extra battery for your phone (5,000mah is more than enough)? Consider a phone charger with 2 USB ports if you have an extra battery so you can charge them both at the same time. Beard comb (seriously, it feels great)? Headphones?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++