WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Perhaps the first thing anyone should do before deciding to take a dog on a 2100 mile walk is to visit their Vet and get a medical opinion if the dog is up to the rigors of a long distance hike of magnitude. There are several places you will likely have to carry the dog up/down sheer drops and fording moving water are two of those occasions, so you should get your own MD to clear you for that added level of challenge beyond your own ability to make the attempt.

Until you get these medical opinions, everything else from no-dog area work arounds and carrying three times the normal home food amounts is speculation. With these opinions you can make a better assessment of the possibility and what you need to do for preparation and what kind of preparation the dog will need. Then dive into the logistics.

Journal Entries

HI. Take doggy on several hikes, where there will be tents, hikers, shelters. Teach doggy to obey on a dime. Teach doggy to tent properly, stay out of water sources.... how to deal with wildlife, to stay by you when it thunders or they hear gun shots, not to roll in smelly things (like poop). To stay directly behind you or aside of you at road crossings. To sit by your backpack when you eat at restaurants or shop. Once dog does this, you have a wonderful buddy. If your dog will carry a little back back, measure the load and work on "go lite" for him as well. We took the dog to Springer on the AT and sent it home in 2 days. Cold snow ... The dog came back at Bristol VA after the Smokeys. 330 miles later the dog said it was done. You love your buddy, but when they are done, they are. So you need a plan for someone to come get your pet. They can come back for a week or so. O they get over the rain. The dog looks at you like you are crazy, but they also will be your first warning of thunder on the horizon. I hope this helps.

Mushers secret for paws...forget boots..ruff wear makes great dog gear that lasts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, FarmerChef! You've been really helpful

I can add some practical experence to these questions for trails other than the AT I do a lot of winter hikeing and snowshoeing with Sasha in Minneasota and other places.

1) Dog Boots: yes or no?
    Yes I have her wear boots and use Musher's Secret on her paws. It took time to get her used to the boots. Make sure to get your dog used to having you check his/her feet before you go.

2) No Pet Areas
    I don't bring her there, Sasha is not a service dog so I follow the rues. I will add that I have trained her to stay on her mat but still keep her secured with a screw stake and/or a strap arround a tree with lead attached to harnes.

3) Rain Protection
    Nope with the double coat it takes a lot to get her wet tothe skin but I do have her carry a large microfiber towel to dry her off.

I actually am totally familiar with the hating rain but not getting wet issue. My dog will reconsider taking his morning poop if he gets to the door and it's raining outside -- he hates the falling water that much (sprinklers and hoses are also not his favorites). On the other hand, he's a duck dog and will happily jump into an ice cold bayou whether or not there are birds to retrieve. Many of my friends dogs are the same way.

1) Dog boots?

YES, even if just preventively. Acclimate your dog to the booties PRE AT-HIKE! YES YES YES, it is hard on a dog to do a 2200 + mile thru-hike! Determining appropriate Dog Booties should be approached just like you with great awareness when selecting LD trail hiking shoes for yourself. NOT all Dog Booties are equal. Not all dogs have the same characteristics. What is right for one dog's feet many not be right for your dog's feet.

You and your friend WILL experience ice, snow, COLD, HEAT, thunder, lightning, hot pavement, possible chemicals(de icers, fertilizers, etc), splinters, glass shards, rusty nails, sharp metal, thorns, R...A...I...N!!!, and highly abrasive rocky rolly polly rocky underfoot as well as rocks in which feet for both you and your dog can get wedged or injured. Go for a barefooted weekend hike with your dog. Tell me how your feet feel! NOW, multiply that by 120-180 days duration. Don't ignorantly romantically assume what your dog and you have experienced on short hikes in Avon Park FL will anywhere be similar on a 4-6 month 14 state AT thru-hike AS SO MANY DO! DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM ANYONE ASSUMING IT IS GOOD FOR YOU, YOUR DOG, AND YOUR AT THRU-0HIKE PLANS BASED ON WHAT THEY DID BECAUSE THE SITUATIONS THEY ARE OFFERING ADVICE ABOUT IS BASED ON THEIR SITUATION WHICH MAY NOT MIRROR YOUR OWN!

Are you familiar with typical weight loss scenarios and physical risks encountered by successful human AT thru-hike completers? For dogs, it is comparably TOUGH on them too! 90 +% of all AT thru-hike dogs I've observed that completed thru-hikes resemble malnourished canine versions of human Holocaust victims. Post completed canine AT thru-hikers, especially certain breeds, can be injured for life in their joints, etc as result of their so called "parents" pushing them on. Think deeply upon what Slo-go'en and Water Rat suggested!

I will repost what FarmerChef wisely stated in hopes you consider his advice fully: "...there are a few dogs that make it all the way through to Maine and many, many that have to come off trail. It's vitally important that your dog's comfort comes first. They will literally walk to death for you no matter how badly they are hurt and we may sometimes not pay attention enough to notice the slight limp or droop that signals a problem that can get worse in a hurry. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it; that's your call. But go into it eyes wide open that keeping your companion comfortable and safe for all 2,200 miles is a big undertaking."

There are many additional responsibilities and consideration you bring to the table on a AT thru-hike BOTH for YOU and YOUR "best friend", but also for others! As many times that has been shared from what I observe very few have fully comprehended and allocated for it PRE-HIKE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++