WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

A tangent if you will... I've not thru hikes either but at some point, does not your tent, sleeping bag and backpack all smell like fermented ass? Even with an armpit wash, you aren't exactly clean or smelling of roses when you crawl into your sleeping bag. Town clothes are stuff into the backpack right next to all of the other funkalicous stuff. Sure there are stuff sacks but is anything airtight? Are you packing town clothes in ziplock bags? Etc. Sleeping bags could be stuffed in the machine at the laundry mat but on a down bag that's asking for trouble I would think. You can't throw your backpack in there. So, what is a person to do?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    A tangent if you will... I've not thru hikes either but at some point, does not your tent, sleeping bag and backpack all smell like fermented ass? Even with an armpit wash, you aren't exactly clean or smelling of roses when you crawl into your sleeping bag. Town clothes are stuff into the backpack right next to all of the other funkalicous stuff. Sure there are stuff sacks but is anything airtight? Are you packing town clothes in ziplock bags? Etc. Sleeping bags could be stuffed in the machine at the laundry mat but on a down bag that's asking for trouble I would think. You can't throw your backpack in there. So, what is a person to do?
    Yes your pack begins to smell like death after a certain point but you can wash it in the shower and let it dry. At a minimum you can get the salt out from all your back sweat. Sleeping bag does stink but consider a silk liner to keep some of the dirt and stink down. Key word: "some." You can throw the liner in the wash even if you have down bag. I don't personally like them but there it is. As for town clothes versus worn clothes, I usually don't swap out until I hit town and the clean clothes live in my stuff sack pillow right up until the day I put them on. The dirties usually go in a ziploc until I hit laundry later in the day. So I guess the answer is, "yes," I do put clothes in a gallon ziploc for odor control. Pack stink is one thing - underwear and socks worn for 5 days and 100 miles, that's a different story.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Yes your pack begins to smell like death after a certain point but you can wash it in the shower and let it dry. At a minimum you can get the salt out from all your back sweat. Sleeping bag does stink but consider a silk liner to keep some of the dirt and stink down. Key word: "some." You can throw the liner in the wash even if you have down bag. I don't personally like them but there it is. As for town clothes versus worn clothes, I usually don't swap out until I hit town and the clean clothes live in my stuff sack pillow right up until the day I put them on. The dirties usually go in a ziploc until I hit laundry later in the day. So I guess the answer is, "yes," I do put clothes in a gallon ziploc for odor control. Pack stink is one thing - underwear and socks worn for 5 days and 100 miles, that's a different story.
    The liner or down bags? I don't have either. My bag isn't down and I keep forgetting about liners. I bought some stuff sacks at Walmart but I'm not sure about them. They don't "close all the way". If I remember correctly they don't even have a drawstring. Not exactly waterproof or smell proof.

If you can find a larger front loading washing machine in town, many packs can be machine washed on gentle cycle. I can wash my ULA Circuit or CDT easily and they come out smelling great. With the Circuit, I remove the metal stay and hoop and then just throw it into the wash. I've done that a couple of times while on trail and it greatly helps.

As for "town clothes", my sleep clothes double as town clothes. I have a merino wool sleep shirt and underwear plus a very light pair of running shorts. Even though they are located inside my pack, they do not seem to stink as long as I never use them while exerting myself and sweating. On the day I go into town, I keep the town clothes easily accessible in my pack. I change in the woods before hitching or going into a restaurant or store. I also try to use bronners to wash up a little if possible. It doesn't take much water to do this. I doubt I'm smelling like a rose but it's about as much as I can do out of courtesy to others after being on trail for several days and it doesn't take much effort.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    If you can find a larger front loading washing machine in town, many packs can be machine washed on gentle cycle. I can wash my ULA Circuit or CDT easily and they come out smelling great. With the Circuit, I remove the metal stay and hoop and then just throw it into the wash. I've done that a couple of times while on trail and it greatly helps.
    I think mine is an Osprey. Note to self: put together the gear list you slacker. I'm sure the frame comes out of it. I just don't know how effort or stitching it'll take to get it back in.

+1 for everyone who cleans up, at least before hitting towns. I've only had one incident where I had to hitch a ride funky. Fortunately the couple who stopped were from a town about 10 miles from where I work and they saw my hiking partner was in pain. We were about 250 miles from home. If never been funky at roadside or town before and it will not happen again. The couple gets a Christmas present every year. And I get much better service in towns. Do what you will, but you won't ever be wrong by trying to be "nice. "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I will just be doing a section of about 90 or so miles in May, but I do plan to bathe every other day, if not every day if possible. A Sea to Summit bucket full of any water available (maybe a little hot left over from dinner added in for comfort), Bronners, a bandana and a pack towel and I see no reason why you can hit the grosses places relatively easily and quickly at night before you get into your bag. As a woman with long hair, I may end up washing my hair during the middle of my day, if I see the opportunity with a big creek or lake or something. It will be a great way to cool off and clean up too.

Am I dreaming? Am I living in a fantasy land? Is this not possible?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I go through phases out there, but for the most part do like a short haircut and a groomed beard for my mental health. For this I basically just hit up a barber, but I'll carry a small pair of scissor to use as a blade/nose hair/moustache trimmer. In town, when I have the option of a decent hotel I don't ask for hiker rate. I will wipe down with Wet Wipes ($1) and put on my camp shirt. Stash the pack somewhere out of sight, go in the hotel. When I fill out the form I put down what kind of imaginary car I'm driving and the imaginary plate, to give the appearance that I'm just driving through or visiting the area. This has worked wonders to get me the non-hiker-designated rooms. Once you have the key card, go out and get your pack, and get to washing up, crushing pizzas, and snoozing.

Images

I found hair washing didn't happen on the trail only in town. I keep my long hair braided and comb it out once a day. I use a Walmart car wash rag as washcloth and towel for a daily wipe down with plain water(no soap). Dry camping I can get pretty clean with a very small amount of water. A bucket full is not always near the best campsites.

Images

I haven't heard this one for awhile "Even a wild animal will keep itself clean"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I found hair washing didn't happen on the trail only in town. I keep my long hair braided and comb it out once a day. I use a Walmart car wash rag as washcloth and towel for a daily wipe down with plain water(no soap). Dry camping I can get pretty clean with a very small amount of water. A bucket full is not always near the best campsites.
    Were there not stream or creeks or whatever along the way that you couldn't just dunk your head in? I need to know, as it will effect my packing weight (shampoo/conditioner). I really bet I try it even with just a little left over form dinner water. My head will itch and drive me nuts if I don't wash it at least every other day.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I go through phases out there, but for the most part do like a short haircut and a groomed beard for my mental health. For this I basically just hit up a barber, but I'll carry a small pair of scissor to use as a blade/nose hair/moustache trimmer. In town, when I have the option of a decent hotel I don't ask for hiker rate. I will wipe down with Wet Wipes ($1) and put on my camp shirt. Stash the pack somewhere out of sight, go in the hotel. When I fill out the form I put down what kind of imaginary car I'm driving and the imaginary plate, to give the appearance that I'm just driving through or visiting the area. This has worked wonders to get me the non-hiker-designated rooms. Once you have the key card, go out and get your pack, and get to washing up, crushing pizzas, and snoozing.
    Are the hiker-designated rooms nasty? Why would you try to avoid them?

Images

It has been my luck that it rains 2 out of every 3 days on the trail, I was trying to keep my hair dry. I discovered after not being able to wash my hair for a week after being gummy and itchy for the first 2 weeks it stopped. We are so used to washing hair every day that our scalps put out more oils to make up for it. That was in 2011, I still only wash it once a week now, no conditioner needed! Shampoo is not in my pack.

Something is really wrong about the idea that hair needs to be washed every day or two. Certainly we didn't when I was young. I recall reading something recently that there is chemistry behind the phenomenon, but I can't find the source now. But apparently the more often we wash hair, the more often we need to. Try waiting an extra day between washing for a month and see if your head/hair don't adapt.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    It has been my luck that it rains 2 out of every 3 days on the trail, I was trying to keep my hair dry. I discovered after not being able to wash my hair for a week after being gummy and itchy for the first 2 weeks it stopped. We are so used to washing hair every day that our scalps put out more oils to make up for it. That was in 2011, I still only wash it once a week now, no conditioner needed! Shampoo is not in my pack.
    So far, my longest trip will be the GA section of the AT in May and in about 10 days, so I won't outlive the gummy itchy stinky slimy stage before I'm off the trail again.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Something is really wrong about the idea that hair needs to be washed every day or two. Certainly we didn't when I was young. I recall reading something recently that there is chemistry behind the phenomenon, but I can't find the source now. But apparently the more often we wash hair, the more often we need to. Try waiting an extra day between washing for a month and see if your head/hair don't adapt.
    I just may do that! It kind of makes sense to me, but I just know I have very oily skin and hair and it gets truly nasty in 48 hours.

Journal Entries

Off topic but I can stretch my washes 5 or 6 days when just mildly hiking and doing Pilates. I have an office job and my hair still looks neat and professional. My husband never believes me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Note: I did build up to that many days slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I am going to try that! Not to mention, it is much healthier for your hair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++