WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping At Slaughter Gap Georgia

Does anyone know if the Duncan Ridge trail passes through Slaughter Gap between Blood and Slaughter Mountains?

Sgt. Rock's BM trail guide which includes a Duncan Ridge trail map shows the DRT does pass through it but I want to make sure.

I noticed the Slaughter Creek trail and also the AT have been rerouted to no longer include a pass through Slaughter Gap.

Also, is there a reliable water source at S.G.?

I might take overnighter into Slaughter Gap today even though it is currently raining.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Journal Entries

I think Slaughter Gap is the intersection of the DRT and Coosa Backcountry. About 25 mins from the AT. There is a good spot to camp there. Close by, on the DRT...there is a small stream which nearly always has water. Today I'm sure it will. It's been raining for a long time.
    hikers gonna hike

Thanks for the reply. I camped there last night. I parked at Wolf Pen Gap and hiked two miles over Slaughter Mountain to Slaughter Gap (or what I think was S.G.). At the 1 mile point, there is a campsite on top of Slaughter that was pretty cool called Sheriff's Knob. The mile up Slaughter wasn't too bad but it was literally straight up with almost no switchbacks. Then you walk the crest for 1/4 mile and then it goes down into Slaughter Gap. I think it was the right place. It was a nice campsite where the Duncan Ridge and Coosa Backcountry trails merge. I was expecting it to be much larger though. I had a place to set up a Kelty 12 foot tarp that I used to as a hangout area. It was raining pretty much non-stop but I was fine under the tarp. I set up m Hennessey hammock at the back end of the site and then built a fire in the front pit. The wood was wet but I skinned a few sticks with my pocketknife and they started right up. I didn't see anyone out there except three day hikers. The best part of the night was sitting under the tarp with my Big Agnes Helinox table and chair, cooking quesadillas and listening to the TCU/Texas Tech games on my transistor radio. TCU scored on the very last play of the game. Another great night out in the woods. Can't let a little rain keep you down.

++ New Posts ++