WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 9 Days in Big Frog

I figure I might as well post this trip report in the BMT Forum as I spent 8 of the 9 days on the trail in the Big Frog wilderness.

To see all the pics go here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...og-Wilderness/

9 DAYS
    IN THE
    BIG FROG WILDERNESS

TRIP 168
    September 12--20 2015

HIGHLIGHTS
    ** 9 DAYS IN THE BIG FROG

** A NEW CAMP ON GRASSY GAP TRAIL

** BIG FROG MOUNTAIN HAS A TRAIL SIGN AND A NOTEBOOK TRAIL REGISTER

** CAMPING WITH CALEB ON BIG FROG MT

** FIRST HIKE OF LICKLOG RIDGE

** SAW A BLACK BEAR IN THE BIG FROG

** SECOND NIGHT ON BIG FROG MT

** 9 DAYS OF PERFECT SEPTEMBER WEATHER

TRAILS
    Entrance Thunder Rock Campground
    BMT South
    **West Fork**
    West Fork/BMT
    Rough Creek West
    Big Frog Trail
    Grassy Gap
    **Penitentiary Creek Camp**
    Grassy Gap
    Wolf Ridge
    **Curbow Fields**
    Wolf Ridge
    **Big Frog Mt High Camp**
    Hemp Top (Big Frog to Licklog)
    Licklog Ridge
    Rough Creek East
    Fork Ridge
    **Fork Ridge Camp aka Christine Thuermer Camp**
    Fork Ridge
    Big Frog Trail 64
    **North Frog Camp**
    Big Frog Trail
    **Big Frog Top Camp**
    Big Frog 64
    **Frog Pond on Rough Creek Trail West**
    Rough Creek West
    West Fork
    BMT North
    Thunder Rock and OUT

My backpacking trip begins on the BMT at Thunder Rock campground on the Ocoee River in Tennessee. This is a brand new sign.

Going South on the BMT, the trail passes thru the campground (very loud with Highway 64 noise---who would willingly camp there???), and the trail climbs steeply on 8 switchbacks and levels out here with a double blaze at a turn.

In about 4 or 5 miles from Thunder Rock I make it to the West Fork of Rough Creek and set up at my usual first night spot. I'm now in the Big Frog wilderness and still on the BMT.

On Day 2 I take the West Fork trail south (BMT) and junction with Trail 70, Rough Creek West trail, and take it to the Pond and get on Trail 64 and go south to Low Gap and take Trail 67 southwest (the Grassy Gap trail). Day 3 is my only day off the BMT.

Grassy Gap trail is a neato long trail in the interior of the Frog and passes over Penitentiary Creek where I find this level campsite for Day 2.

On Day 3 I finish Grassy Gap trail and it pops me out on Wolf Ridge atop Bearpen Hill where I get one of the few views of the trip---looking down into the Cohutta wilderness.

Incredible pics. Thanks for posting.

Once on Bearpen Hill I turn left and climb Wolf Ridge which is mostly an unmaintained trail and full of sawbriars and thickets so here is proof of the condition of the trail---blood loss from the legs.

This shows my trek on Day 3: West on Grassy Gap trail, South on Wolf Ridge to jct with Chestnut Mt coming in from the Southwest, and then East on Wolf Ridge to a camping spot somewhere between the words "wolf" and "ridge" on the map.

Wolf Ridge Trail is a long climb but finally pops me out atop Big Frog Mt and back on the BMT. I'm pleasantly surprised to see this new trail sign on top (but no mention on the sign of the BMT), and very surprised to see this trail register notebook signed by several people I know: Sgt Rock, Amy Willow (we hiked the BMT together in April 2015 and she signed the book before joining up with me), Rick and Brenda Harris, and Superman aka Jim Thompson.

The water spring atop Frog Mt is a little foul so I do the usual trek down the mountain in the spring hollow and after about 200 feet find a real creek with real flowing water. So, there's always water atop the Frog if you know where to look.

I return to Frog Mt top with my full water load and prepare to set up camp.

Once on top of the Frog I set up my tent and find this weird stainless steel bottle nailed to a tree and could not figure out what it's for. Modern redneck art?? Science experiment? Garbage? Who knows. To me it's just more human-generated crap.

I always consider it a bonus if I find a camp spot next to a creek with a little trickle sound to fall asleep too, very nice.

While camping atop the Frog a fellow backpacker joins me and his name is Caleb from Blue Ridge, Georgia. He wants a fire so I give me the rest of my reading material for kindling.

Day 5 is a big day of Backpackaging as I leave Frog Mt on the Hemp Top trail and link up with the Licklog trail which I descend and find this nice overlook view of Big Frog Mt and Chimney Top to the right. Licklog takes me down to jct with the eastern part of Trail 70 Rough Creek and I follow it down to the East Fork crossing of Rough Creek, then up to Fork Ridge and back on the BMT.

During the trip my almost new Asolo Fugitive boots have a small blowout and I figure quality control at Asolo is rock bottom. Not my first rodeo with the company. How could a pair of boots fail so fast? Just my third trip with the pair. Sorry workmanship.

On Day 6 I take Fork Ridge/BMT up and jct with Big Frog 64 trail aka BMT and climb to the top of Frog Mt but look back on the climb to the pretty trail. I set up camp on Day 6 at North Frog Camp, which is a very level ridge below the mountaintop and north.

On Day 7 I return to the top campsite on Frog Mt and then on Day 8 I drop off the Frog on 64 and take it off the BMT to the Rough Creek jct where I set up camp here by Frog Pond. On Day 9 I'm packed up and ready to leave.

On Day 9 I decide to return to Thunder Rock campground and out and pass by this neato blaze on the West Fork part of the trail.

I return to Thunder Rock and my car is still there so I climb inside and drive the 44 miles back home. End of a great trip and it got me stoked to pull a longer one thru the Frog into the Cohutta.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Once on top of the Frog I set up my tent and find this weird stainless steel bottle nailed to a tree and could not figure out what it's for. Modern redneck art?? Science experiment? Garbage? Who knows. To me it's just more human-generated crap.
    I'm thinkin' some kinda bug trap maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm thinkin' some kinda bug trap maybe.
    No bugs in it but some rainwater coming in from the lid sides. Yes, the top lid (which looks like a candle holder) comes off at the visible seam between the top and the bottom. Here's what it looks like inside:

lousy bug trap design.

I could get real creative, but the bodys all ready heard it all before.

Thank you for another great report. My wife and I were up in your neck of the woods recently. Most beautiful area I have ever been in.

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis1948 View Post
    Thank you for another great report. My wife and I were up in your neck of the woods recently. Most beautiful area I have ever been in.
    It has its pluses and minuses, depending on time of year. July and abundant rattlesnakes. Sept/Oct and stinging yellow jackets. Some noise pollution from racing motorcycles and constant overhead jet traffic. Hunting season and pesky hunting dogs. Freedom to go where you want, when you want. Thousands of acres stretching from the Smokies down to the Cohuttas. Ample trails with around 400 miles of exploration potential.

Images

Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

When the Ocoee River is up and flowing strongly with whitewater it tends to drown out much of the Hwy 64 traffic going to/coming from Ducktown at the Thunder Ricer CG in your first pic. The river is less than 100 ft from that sign. Many car campers and paddlers stay at the campground.

As always, another nice trip report Tipi. I really appreciate the inside beta on things like water sources, overgrown tail conditions, etc.

Ya know Tipi I know so many hikers hiking 1000's of miles at a time who do
    not snap and share the number of pics you do.

Agree too with St Rock. Good assessments all around.

Journal Entries

Was there Veterans Day weekend many years ago, remember it fondly, it rained 4 days & nights straight. It quit raining as we were packing to leave.

++ New Posts ++