WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Journal Entries

Go Light with a a Good attitude......works for me...

Images

Towns have mental health professionals and pharmacies, just in case....

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    towns have mental health professionals and pharmacies, just in case....
    lol. . . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Towns have mental health professionals and pharmacies, just in case....
    What does this mean?

is this supposed to be funny?

SAnVa, you sound like an interesting person to me! Wow, to be able to take your grandson on such a wonderful adventure. My granddaughter is far too young, going on four. But when she is older, who knows? You inspire me. It would be such an honor to meet you and your grandson. I am starting only a few days ahead of you so we will be sure to meet, i plan on slow going, i want to take it all in and experience the trail fully.
    What gear are you all lacking? I have some extras here and would be so pleased to give some to you and your grandson if you all need/want it. It might be used but it is in good shape. You can let me know on here or pm if you are interested. I think getting a 13 year old out there is so awesome! He will have the time of his life. Has he picked out a trail name yet?
    Yes there are always the few bad apples in every basket but I am fortunate, i have found quite a few shiny apples and my basket runs over! I have always been blessed, and adding you and your grandson to my friendship list would make life even nicer. So to heck with the ones that want to be mean, karma will get them in the end. I have discovered that living your life fully and happily is the best revenge. But thank you for your kind words, the world could always use kinder souls and you have a lovely one.

Quote Originally Posted by SAnVA View Post
    Smoky Spoon, I was hooked from the start, read every post! I, along with my 13yr. old Grandson plan on thru-hiking the AT this coming spring, our plan is to start on my birthday 3/5 but keep having second thoughts because of the large crowds and colder weather. Will probably stick to the plan though and see how it goes, maybe we will meet you on the trail, and I would really like that, contrary to some of the other posts I think you would be a very interesting person to talk to, I find your life very interesting and would love to hear about the ghost towns, mining towns, that you have visited and researched, always nice to meet people from other walks of life and hear of their experiences ( makes my life seem pretty dull ) and to get paid to hike the AT, that's a no brainer, I'm trying to scrape and scrounge just to get the gear to do it with! As for the rude people, I see that on all the different forums I have visited over the years, there are always a few that want to ruin it for everyone else, these forums are suppose to be helpful and for the most part they are but you will always have the select few who want to , as you put it , be the bully! I think you handled yourself very well though! Good luck to you on your hike and maybe our paths will cross, if not , I will certainly buy your book, take care my friend!
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Journal Entries

Interesting thread, in a weird way. My money is on this is merely a troll with no real intention on hiking, time will tell. Too many things just don't add up. On previous hikes I've met many who claim they're hiking or planning on hiking the AT and it was mostly just talk, and most those bells been rung on this thread. Either way some talk the talk, some walk the walk, this thread seems to do neither.

Definition of an Internet troll: A person who sows discord on the internet by posting inflammatory, opinionated and off topic messages in another's thread in an online community with the intention of provoking an emotional response to disrupt the normal on topic discussion.

Enough said. Once again for those at the back of the class, try sticking to answering the questions asked or refrain from commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Interesting thread, in a weird way. My money is on this is merely a troll with no real intention on hiking, time will tell. Too many things just don't add up. On previous hikes I've met many who claim they're hiking or planning on hiking the AT and it was mostly just talk, and most those bells been rung on this thread. Either way some talk the talk, some walk the walk, this thread seems to do neither.

Journal Entries
    Images

Post edited -- good luck to all who seek something on the trail.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-01-2015 at 13:16.

Smoky Spoon, I sent you a PM regarding your generous offer on the gear, thanks again!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Definition of an Internet troll: A person who sows discord on the internet by posting inflammatory, opinionated and off topic messages in another's thread in an online community with the intention of provoking an emotional response to disrupt the normal on topic discussion.

Enough said. Once again for those at the back of the class, try sticking to answering the questions asked or refrain from commenting.
    Unfortunately I don't meet the definition you posted, as I'm not seeking an emotional response. Nor is my post inflammatory. Um just opining that your post rings some bells that in my experience indicates you're not serious about hiking the AT. It would be helpful if you posted something that indicates trail experience instead of indicating lack thereof. I always enjoy a good writer and would like to see a sample of your writing Note I didn't say you're a fraud as I couldn't know such from your post, I'm just stating my opinion on your posts and challenging you to provide some substance. As indicated by the other responses it's questionable if your writing skills are such that you'll draw much of an audience. As I started earlier, time will tell.

My you think mighty high of yourself there Fred, you actually believe I owe you answers regarding anything in my life. Not sure why you think you do, and could care less what you think of my writing or anything else. Because had you taken the time to read all my posts, it clearly states I have never written a book nor claimed to. Only said I am writing one now. What you think of that I also could care less. As for my hiking experience, I addressed that in my other posts too.

Calling someone a troll, and you did, is inflammatory. So my suggestion to you sir, is to before making any comments that do fit the definition of an Internet troll, maybe you should first read the posts. Or better yet, here is an novel idea, stick to actually answering the questions asked instead of inserting your opinion where it was not needed nor invited. Stop trying to disrupt the normal flow of this thread.

And I am sorry you feel that anyone that might lack trail experience should not post. I kind of thought one of the reasons this site existed was for anyone else who may lack trail experience could come on and ask questions and get some helpful feedback. Real
    answers to questions asked. Not opinions or theories.

As for drawing an audience, seems to me I draw quite a crowd on here. To tell you the truth, i actually believed that most would not read my book, I am after all a nobody. But, for whatever reason, many guys like you keep coming onto my threads and tell me I am a miserable person and cannot write or in your case, I am a troll. You all have done me an enormous favor, you convinced my editor that they are spot on, and if this site is any indication, well, they think I will get a good crowd. As you said, time will tell, and as I said, I have nothing to lose. I am paid either way, so is my equipment and trip. To me, that is a win win.

Regarding my intentions, I made that clear, to hike the AT, and to write a book about the AT. Speaking of intentions, exactly what we're yours? Why did you feel compelled to post on my thread giving your opinion and theories as to anything I am doing? Do you make this a regular habit? You know, go on other newbie threads and call them trolls and question their motiviations? Making them feel unwelcomed. Is that the point of a post like yours? To try and hijack a thread with insults and innuendo instead of actually answering ANY of the questions asked.

Must be mighty nice to think everyone needs your opinion, I guess you are a legend in your own mind.

In all seriousness, you may not like me, you may not lIke my writing, but some people on here apparently do, and in my opinion, it is rude of you to come onto another person's thread and not only insult them, not only question their intentions, not only shove your opinion down their throat so publicly but also not have the decency to actually answer any of the questions asked. If that is your idea of not being inflammatory , then you might want to check the definition of inflammatory.
    Inflammatory: when in regards to writing or speech, means causing/or trying to cause a reaction via use of words that are arousing, provoking, fomenting, and/or subversive towards another.

Seems to me sir that you fit the bill of internet troll and posting inflammatory comments to a T. And while you state that I cannot write to draw a crowd, I can at least understand what my vocabulary in my post actually mean.

Please go away, i would prefer to not have to use my ignore/block icon, but I will. Your comments have nothing to do with the questions asked, you are purposely being a cyber bully, which is rude and cowardly. If you have nothing positive to contribute then please refrain from making any comments period. Thank you.

Unfortunately I don't meet the definition you posted, as I'm not seeking an emotional response. Nor is my post inflammatory. Um just opining that your post rings some bells that in my experience indicates you're not serious about hiking the AT. It would be helpful if you posted something that indicates trail experience instead of indicating lack thereof. I always enjoy a good writer and would like to see a sample of your writing Note I didn't say you're a fraud as I couldn't know such from your post, I'm just stating my opinion on your posts and challenging you to provide some substance. As indicated by the other responses it's questionable if your writing skills are such that you'll draw much of an audience. As I started earlier, time will tell.

Journal Entries

For someone that "done with this thread" you're still going strong. Your post are contradictory, which indicates a total lack of seriousness. Like most things in life, this forum works best with a bit of give and take, not just take. Most successful writers have written a lot besides books, so no I'm not demanding a book, just asking for sample. I work with lots of writers and wannabes. Publishing a book and getting paid for the first book is a fantasy, therefore a strong indication you're totally BS.

Thank you for bringing home all the points I was trying to make.

As for being done with my thread, yes I mostly got what I needed and begun a new thread as is the way I do things, you ought to know that by now since you are so keen on what I am writing. However, if someone takes the time to post some thing that does answer my questions then of course I shall take the time to acknowledge that effort. And if someone relentlessly goes on my thread spouting their uninvited opinions just to see their own words in writing and seeking attention then yes I will most likely defend my thread.

You work with a lot of writers and wannabes. Good for you. Do they give you a dictionary when speaking with you? Publishing a book and getting paid for the first time is not a fantasy, but it is extremely difficult to do. Which is why my contract states very clearly different payment options. A lot of people get some money upfront for their book and are required to submit so many pages in a certain amount of time. A lot of people are far better equipped to write a book than I am, I seriously have no formal writing experience. But I am not most people and my editor and publishing house knew that going into this project.

They came to me, I have done work for them before , rather for their writers, as in research. More than once when they had questions they called me to get the answers since I did the research. Slowly over time we built up a professional relationship. Are we friends? No, but they do know me as I know them. However we are becoming closer because of this site.

Based upon my prior work for them and the fact that if I wrote down some of my observations when doing my research and the author I did it for has to disclose those were my words and not necessarily theirs, it gave them an idea of how I write. Now do not get me wrong, the authors bought my research and now legally can claim and do claim it as theirs, but that is how it sometimes goes. Either way, I get paid for the work I was contracted to do and really it is not like I wrote a best selling paragraph, just a darn good description of what I observed firsthand. My contracts are very simple and straightforward. You get what you pay for.

When they approached me about writing a book on the trail they did so with prior knowledge of my love for the trail. Outdoor books are the rage right now and when they made a select few into movies it became more so. But each and every one of those were based on humor, overcoming personal tragedy and damn good writing. Bryson's book was one of the few books ever made that speaks about the trail in and of itself. But none of that translated into the movie. Shaffer's book did too but few can actually sit down and read it, personally I love it, but that is me. Anyway, they want a book about the trail, not about the person and their trials and triumphs on the trail.

As for my writing ability, they knew I was at a handicap going in, they did not care, they said that is what the editing process is for and if I need help they have other writers that can assist me. For now, they want my raw input as I go through this process of hiking the AT. Seeings how I am not a writer but a researcher, and seeings how I have no idea how book contracts work, because I fall under researcher, I agreed to a research contract with a book clause. In simple english, I get paid for work done, as in writing about the trail, researching it, hiking it, speaking to others about it, etc. I also had them include a gear clause, sometimes in my research I will use up my gear, depends on how long I am gone for and have it in use, where I am going, some terrains and places are rougher than others on my gear etc. It did not take a genuis to figure out the AT would be pretty rough on my gear and most likey wear some of it out.

I realize my contract is very different from a typical writers contract, but I am not a writer, I am a researcher. I am turning down other jobs to take this one job. They understood that. Besides I have absolutely no faith that my book would sell so giving me money upfront on future sells was not the wisest choice in my opinion. So I said I would do the project as long as they paid me for my work as I go along. The book clause was simple and their idea. If my writing does not meet their approval they have several options, take what I wrote and have legal claim over it and most likely have a more talented writer take over, as in I have no say so because they did already pay me for my work and time, take the book and me and have us work with another more talented writer to spruce it up or whatever, or go with what I wrote, sure some heavy editing I am certain but then when the book sells, if it sells, I get some of those proceeds. But regardless of what happens, I am still paid for the time and effort I put into the book.

As they said, everyone is putting some heavy stuff into this book, most people sit at home and write, do or pay for a little research. I am leaving my family for more than six months, I am turning down other employment, I am using up some of my own gear that I need for my other jobs when this is over. That is a big gamble financially whereas they are putting out less than their usual upfront payout for a first time writer. Either way they get a book, whether it sells, whether it is a good book, etc all remains to be seen. But they have faith in me, they tell me I have never let them down in any of my jobs for them before so in their eyes, their risk is minimal because at the very least it could fall under research material for another writer.

You claim my posts are contradictory, where? Stop putting your opinion into comments on my thread without anything to back them up. You called me a troll, the definition fit you far better, you said you were not inflammatory in your post, again the definition showed you were, you keep telling me to give you things. Why? I owe you nothing. You are nothing to me. You do not exist in my life, we are not buddies or friends or professional acquaintances. Any writing samples I have no doubt would not only be over your head but is proprietary as I stated earlier regarding my contracts. But as someone in writing, you should know that. Which brings up a few questions for us, what publishing house do you work? What exactly do you do there? What sort of literary experience do you have professionally? And are they having you submit these inquiries to me? Unless of course you are the one putting out all the BS....

For someone that "done with this thread" you're still going strong. Your post are contradictory, which indicates a total lack of seriousness. Like most things in life, this forum works best with a bit of give and take, not just take. Most successful writers have written a lot besides books, so no I'm not demanding a book, just asking for sample. I work with lots of writers and wannabes. Publishing a book and getting paid for the first book is a fantasy, therefore a strong indication you're totally BS.

Thank you for bringing home all the points I was trying to make.

As for being done with my thread, yes I mostly got what I needed and begun a new thread as is the way I do things, you ought to know that by now since you are so keen on what I am writing. However, if someone takes the time to post some thing that does answer my questions then of course I shall take the time to acknowledge that effort. And if someone relentlessly goes on my thread spouting their uninvited opinions just to see their own words in writing and seeking attention then yes I will most likely defend my thread.

You work with a lot of writers and wannabes. Good for you. Do they give you a dictionary when speaking with you? Publishing a book and getting paid for the first time is not a fantasy, but it is extremely difficult to do. Which is why my contract states very clearly different payment options. A lot of people get some money upfront for their book and are required to submit so many pages in a certain amount of time. A lot of people are far better equipped to write a book than I am, I seriously have no formal writing experience. But I am not most people and my editor and publishing house knew that going into this project.

They came to me, I have done work for them before , rather for their writers, as in research. More than once when they had questions they called me to get the answers since I did the research. Slowly over time we built up a professional relationship. Are we friends? No, but they do know me as I know them. However we are becoming closer because of this site.

Based upon my prior work for them and the fact that if I wrote down some of my observations when doing my research and the author I did it for has to disclose those were my words and not necessarily theirs, it gave them an idea of how I write. Now do not get me wrong, the authors bought my research and now legally can claim and do claim it as theirs, but that is how it sometimes goes. Either way, I get paid for the work I was contracted to do and really it is not like I wrote a best selling paragraph, just a darn good description of what I observed firsthand. My contracts are very simple and straightforward. You get what you pay for.

When they approached me about writing a book on the trail they did so with prior knowledge of my love for the trail. Outdoor books are the rage right now and when they made a select few into movies it became more so. But each and every one of those were based on humor, overcoming personal tragedy and damn good writing. Bryson's book was one of the few books ever made that speaks about the trail in and of itself. But none of that translated into the movie. Shaffer's book did too but few can actually sit down and read it, personally I love it, but that is me. Anyway, they want a book about the trail, not about the person and their trials and triumphs on the trail.

As for my writing ability, they knew I was at a handicap going in, they did not care, they said that is what the editing process is for and if I need help they have other writers that can assist me. For now, they want my raw input as I go through this process of hiking the AT. Seeings how I am not a writer but a researcher, and seeings how I have no idea how book contracts work, because I fall under researcher, I agreed to a research contract with a book clause. In simple english, I get paid for work done, as in writing about the trail, researching it, hiking it, speaking to others about it, etc. I also had them include a gear clause, sometimes in my research I will use up my gear, depends on how long I am gone for and have it in use, where I am going, some terrains and places are rougher than others on my gear etc. It did not take a genuis to figure out the AT would be pretty rough on my gear and most likey wear some of it out.

I realize my contract is very different from a typical writers contract, but I am not a writer, I am a researcher. I am turning down other jobs to take this one job. They understood that. Besides I have absolutely no faith that my book would sell so giving me money upfront on future sells was not the wisest choice in my opinion. So I said I would do the project as long as they paid me for my work as I go along. The book clause was simple and their idea. If my writing does not meet their approval they have several options, take what I wrote and have legal claim over it and most likely have a more talented writer take over, as in I have no say so because they did already pay me for my work and time, take the book and me and have us work with another more talented writer to spruce it up or whatever, or go with what I wrote, sure some heavy editing I am certain but then when the book sells, if it sells, I get some of those proceeds. But regardless of what happens, I am still paid for the time and effort I put into the book.

As they said, everyone is putting some heavy stuff into this book, most people sit at home and write, do or pay for a little research. I am leaving my family for more than six months, I am turning down other employment, I am using up some of my own gear that I need for my other jobs when this is over. That is a big gamble financially whereas they are putting out less than their usual upfront payout for a first time writer. Either way they get a book, whether it sells, whether it is a good book, etc all remains to be seen. But they have faith in me, they tell me I have never let them down in any of my jobs for them before so in their eyes, their risk is minimal because at the very least it could fall under research material for another writer.

You claim my posts are contradictory, where? Stop putting your opinion into comments on my thread without anything to back them up. You called me a troll, the definition fit you far better, you said you were not inflammatory in your post, again the definition showed you were, you keep telling me to give you things. Why? I owe you nothing. You are nothing to me. You do not exist in my life, we are not buddies or friends or professional acquaintances. Any writing samples I have no doubt would not only be over your head but is proprietary as I stated earlier regarding my contracts. But as someone in writing, you should know that. Which brings up a few questions for us, what publishing house do you work? What exactly do you do there? What sort of literary experience do you have professionally? And are they having you submit these inquiries to me? Unless of course you are the one putting out all the BS....

I think we got a pretty good idea of your writing style from the very long winded replies. I have to admit, I have trouble getting past the first paragraph. Take lots of notes on the trail and hire a ghost writer...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I posted twice and that was not intentional. Yes my posts can be long, but in my experience, on here a person needs to explain their self in depth because of so many people just dying to find some thing to jump onto and insert their uninvited opinion. I am trying to keep the thread to stay on topic, and it works until again, some one has to come on and give their uninvited opinions that has nothing to do with the questions being asked in the original post and throw the thread off topic. I notice it happens on so many of the threads on this site. Lots of opinion givers, but no real advice being given. You are so funny, you tell me to not write so long winded but to take lots of notes....lol

Ghost writer is looking better and better everyday for just this site responses alone.

Thanks for posting, happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think we got a pretty good idea of your writing style from the very long winded replies. I have to admit, I have trouble getting past the first paragraph. Take lots of notes on the trail and hire a ghost writer...

You remind me a lot of someone who was here several years ago -- WIA Pilot. I'd suggest to study Hemingway for brevity and succinctness and perhaps read Anish's blogs for... well... you'll know after you read her stuff. For hiking advice, I like Hoofit's axiom -- do that and you'll go far. Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by John B; 10-02-2015 at 21:48.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    What does this mean?

is this supposed to be funny?
    No, it's not funny, just helpful feedback.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++