WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I am sorry, I meant to be clearer, I like the maildrops, just not at post offices. So far I have been selecting hostels close or on the trail. Speaking with them on the phone and working that out has been good thus far but still planning and was just hoping for some input in case I overlook something.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    If you don't want to go into towns for resupply and you don't want to use mail drops, then where exactly did you think you could get food, particularly "Hammer nutrition"?
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Self pity? Self deprecating? Geez thought I was being funny. I am sorry.
    Are you saying you think this post is also controversial and purposely so? Just asking for clarification is all.
    Thanks.
    Yeah the humor didn't come off. Good to hear, though. I was thinking, "If she's that off-putting, why does her editor want her encountering more people?"

I think I got all the info I need.
    Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate all the suggestions, advice and what not.
    God bless and happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Self pity? Self deprecating? Geez thought I was being funny. I am sorry.
    Are you saying you think this post is also controversial and purposely so? Just asking for clarification is all.
    Thanks.
    FWIW, IMHO you lighted up some. Surely, this partly had to do with the topics of the other two threads where we engaged some back and forth. I sense a friendlier less confrontational attitude which I know something personal about as I've taken that route more times than I probably should have. I still stub my toe doing that at times when not needed. IMHO, some slight adjustments in our behavior or how we communicate can pay off in huge ways like connecting with others more easily. And further FWIW, I like being challenged while constraining myself to stay positive. IMHO, you have a lot to positively contribute. I, for one, welcome you to WB. Like your User name too. Wanna share how that name came about?

What does FWIW mean?
    I am guessing the other means in my honest opinion? (IMHO)

Have you read Earl Shaffer's book? He speaks of finally buying a spoon to eat with while on the trail, when he does just a short time later he finds what he considers a nicer spoon. He was in the Smokies at the time and decided he liked it better. He named it his Smoky Spoon.

A lot of people read his book, but because most do not consider him as charismagic a writer as say David Miller or Bill Bryson or Cheryl Strayed they start skimming and more often than not miss that part. I actually read every word, I am one of the nerdy people who is a speed reader and retains almost everything they read. (Think Dr. Spencer Reed character on Criminal Minds)

LMAO, my spouse just said that right about now light bulbs are probably going off in your head and you are having a, "ah that makes a lot of sense, now I understand her better" moment. As you can see I am about as sociable as him too. Not being self deprecating here, just stating a fact okay?

How did you choose yours?

For what it's worth

and

In my humble opinion
    There is a rawness and a wonder to life. Pursue it. Hunt for it. Sell out to get it.
    Your goal is not to live long; it’s to live.

So, is your editor trying to put you in sociable situations b/c she knows it will not go well.... and then wants you to write about it? Sounds like a written reality TV show!

gonna be a sh...y book. my opinion. AT books are a dime a dozen. this girl has no passion for it

Laughing Heart Hostel & Inn. Literally on the AT at Hot Springs, NC. Contact them for mail drop & private room.
    The AT runs through the middle of Hot Springs. It's a shame you won't be able to enjoy the town. You might want to interview some of the local trail focused business owners. Bluff Mountain Outfitters and the Hardware store on the same side of the street come to mind.
    Have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

The trail will soften you up... you are not terminally unique. The trail has all sorts out there and I'm sure you will meet a fair share that you want to get the hell away from and your fair share that will become good friends.

I'm a guy that values my solitude too. I have spent weeks on end exploring slot canyons all over Southern Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc... and love not seeing a soul for many moons... but even after seeing a lot of the best the West has to offer... I will always place the AT on top of my personal hiking pedestal.

I met a gal who was gun-ho on doing a "marathon hike" every day... 26.2 miles or more. She came across a group of hikers in Southern Virginia, after blazing thru GA-NC/TN and was getting ready to notch another goal off of her extreme bucket list... and then the AT got her. She lightened up a bit, let her guard down a bit, and suddenly... she was having fun! A novel idea... and she ended up slowing down to a steady/enjoyable pace.

Not saying it's all warm and fuzzy, I have yet to see the entire trail hold hands and sing Kumbaya... but if he open your mind just a bit... the AT will get ya!

Like I said... I'm takin bets.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
    Like I said... I'm takin bets.
    Sorry, I deleted part of this message. I could ramble on a bit more, but long story short... I'll take some bets that you change your tune a bit out there. If you go from GA to ME and still feel the same way... ... Then I suppose you will be the ultimate Eeyore of the AT.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Images

Just hire some interns to drive all over the eastern states to get your diet specific items and leave them and the cases of batteries at trail crossing. Should be no issue for your editor since OMG your being forced to go to "Trail Days" .

wanna be hiker trash

I have been reading your posts, as I check out the new posts, every day. Is this part of your plan for a plot line? Miscreant poster ticks off everyone she can on WB. Hits the trail, and ticks off everyone she encounters there. Finally gets what hiking the AT is all about, and embraces the trail, and all the people on it, as she comes to terms with her deep seated issues with the human race?
    Only way it will be a good read. I seriously hope that is what happens for you.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

I got my trail name differently depending on who you ask. Some of my playfully funny hiking friends intending some sarcasm say my trail name reminds them of an erect dog's penis. Sorry, but I'm still having flashbacks of all the vibrators I've seen although this is true. Then, I have to remind them it's because on the AT I started being known as one who could identify virtually every plant, flower, and tree, if it was edible, medicinal purposes, etc. Hikers started asking about all the white and pink flowered trees they were seeing. Most times what they were seeing were American Dogwoods(Cornus florida) in flower. So hikers started calling me that. It stuck. Funny thing is the American Dogwood(Cornus florida) has always been one of my Top 10 Native N. America small flowering trees. Also, despite the terrible sounding name Dogwood-Cornus florida has a wide range of positive beautiful attributes including it's four seasons of interests, IF you can get by it's up front faults and see it's potential....umm, just like me.

I didn't read all of Schaeffer's book...I did exactly as you said. I don't recall the Smoky Spoon parts.

Cool

Mountain Harbor Hostel / B&B. ~1/4 mile off trail on the same side of the highway as the trail. Shuttle service available to/from Tri-Cities Airport.

http://www.mountainharbour.net/

By the way, if this was not mentioned earlier, Tri-Cities Airport in Johnson City, TN is the closest airport to Damascus, VA. Car rental, hotels, city services available. You might want to book a room in Damascus now for Trail Days.

A thought: You can shop at Walmart online and have items shipped free to a store for pickup. You might be surprised by the selection of foods offered online that you might never find on the shelf at Walmart. Example: Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry freeze dried food. I think you said that you could tolerate some freeze dried food. Armed with Google Maps & the Walmart store locator you could find stores convenient to the AT. I know there is one in Franklin, NC which is an easy hitch or arranged shuttle to/from the AT. You could save ~$16/USPS large priority mail box in postage.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

I like you lol you kinda remind me of one of my good friends. We don't talk much. Kayak together but generally about .25 miles apart and then make camp in companionable silence.

I know you don't seem to like people but I could see the trail atmosphere being welcome after a while. Good thing about trail folks, if someone is hiking in silence, that is generally going to be respected.

I'll be following your thread here and hope to hear about your adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to hike alone. That way I can set my own pace and decide when and where to take breaks.

I like to sit and enjoy a scenic vista alone. That way I can reflect on the view without distractions.

But at the end of the day, I like to hang out with other hikers at the shelter or campsite. That way I can feel part of a community and you can meet some very interesting people along the way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Smokey- for you or anyone pursuing easier resupply- consider reading the speed hiking forums, or specifically buying Matt Kirk's book.
    Since no hitching is part of an FKT, there's been a fairly good bit of effort put into identifying resupplies close to the trail- both private and Post Office options.

Rolling into town at odd hours, avoiding distractions, and getting out quickly is pretty well part of an FKT- the same concept transfers easily to a more private hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Since no hitching is part of an FKT
    Ok, new one on me... what is an FKT?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++