Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Backpack advice?

Hey everyone, I'm planning a thru-hike attempt in about two years (it's kind of a family tradition) but am pretty inexperienced with long hikes -- most of my hikes have been day trips and most of my camping has involved a kayak or a canoe (Louisiana girl). Don't worry, I WILL be spending the next two years doing section hikes, more walking-oriented camping trips, and a 6 week hike in Spain to get more experience beforehand.

Because of this though, I need some help choosing a backpack.

I'll be hiking with my dog so I'll need to carry some extra weight for his sake, but my general impression is that my biggest priority needs to be keeping weight down anywhere I can.

Do y'all have any recommendations for backpacks? Also, instead of just telling me which one, I'd really appreciate some help with the different aspects of it and WHY that backpack -- I want to learn!

Lighter (for total weight you are carrying) is generally better, as long as all of your needs are met. Leaving out essentials just to reduce weight can be disastrous, but I get the idea you already understand that.

Try to get a rough idea of the gear you'll be carrying so you know how big of a pack you need. Figure enough room for food and water and add about 10% for flexibility. This is probably going to involve a lot of guesstimating.

Go to an outfitter shop and try on backpacks. Everyone fits a bit differently and while you can probably just grab an Osprey Viva 50 or 60 and go successfully out the door and onto the trail for $200 or less it pays to try on multiple models and brands - with some weight in them.

Get something that carries the weight well on your hips and is comfortable. Load transfer is essential to comfort. For that reason, you need at least some frame. Look at the packs made for women - the straps are usually the big difference and are made to fit female anatomy better. If you're using a hydration reservoir, external access to it is a big pus in my book. Saves tons of unpacking and repacking of the main compartment when you refill it out on the trail. Lifetime guarantee is also a feature to look for - and good reputation to go with it. All of these features are present in the Viva, which is why I mentioned it specifically. It is also adjustable length torso, which improves resale options and loaner options.

Images

Good advice from Walkintom on types of packs and fitting. If you look at the packs of most experienced long distance hikers, they mostly have the same general kinds of gear. Not all the same brand or model, of course, but similar styles. Packs tend to be lightweight internal frame models of about 50-60 liter capacity with an empty weight of 2-3 pounds. I see a lot of ULA and Osprey packs, and more and more Zpacks, along with a smattering of other brands. Of course some long distance hikers go truly ultralight, and others carry a much larger pack, but mostly it's right in the middle.

The conventional wisdom says to buy your pack last, after all your other gear. That's great advice, but it's hard to go hiking without a pack, and it's hard to know what you want and need to bring without going hiking. You could do a lot worse than to buy that Osprey that Walkintom mentions, or a ULA Circuit (get the S-curve shoulder straps), either of which can be used for a thru-hike if your other gear is on the lightweight end of the spectrum. (2-lb down sleeping bag, 2-lb solo+ tent, 1-lb kitchen, go easy on the extra clothing, etc.) If in two years you want a different pack, you can sell it on to someone else here on WB.

You have two years to get your dog used to carrying a pack, so he can carry some of his own food, his sleeping pad, etc.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks so much! I'll be getting Diesel used to carrying a pack, but I'm well aware that hiking with him means that he comes first, and I'll likely still be carrying extra weight for him even if he carries most of his stuff (water in particular apparently can throw them off balance as it moves around).

So what I'm getting from y'all so far is internal frame, 50-60 liter, S-curve shoulder straps, and definitely female-specific.

I definitely want to go as light-weight as possible, since I am relatively small. Other than the Osprey Viva and ULA circuit, are there any specific packs I should look at?

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    Thanks so much! I'll be getting Diesel used to carrying a pack, but I'm well aware that hiking with him means that he comes first, and I'll likely still be carrying extra weight for him even if he carries most of his stuff (water in particular apparently can throw them off balance as it moves around).

So what I'm getting from y'all so far is internal frame, 50-60 liter, S-curve shoulder straps, and definitely female-specific.

I definitely want to go as light-weight as possible, since I am relatively small. Other than the Osprey Viva and ULA circuit, are there any specific packs I should look at?
    I have an Elemental Horizons Kalais. It is very similar to the ULA Circuit.

I would NOT recommend looking only at womens' specific packs.
    You may well find a non-womens' specific pack that fits you better. The more curved should straps and the wider hip belt are important to some women, not important to some women, and downright problematic for some women as well. Deuter womens' packs, for instance actually have no difference in shape for the shoulder strap or hip belts, they are just a slightly smaller frame that thus fits smaller people better, and they come with a free hair tie on them.

The Deuter packs are not really ultra-light, but they're not bad, relatively inexpensive and they fit some people exceptionally well.
    The Osprey Exos 48 or 58 are fantastic go-to packs, loved by many, are quite light, readily available from many different outfitters, and are not gender specific.

I love my Exos 48 which I find the perfect size (to slightly large) for long-distance 3-season backpacking. I would recommend a different pack if I planed on carrying over 35 lbs regularly, but what a sweet carry up to 35 lbs.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I would NOT recommend looking only at womens' specific packs.
    You may well find a non-womens' specific pack that fits you better. The more curved should straps and the wider hip belt are important to some women, not important to some women, and downright problematic for some women as well. Deuter womens' packs, for instance actually have no difference in shape for the shoulder strap or hip belts, they are just a slightly smaller frame that thus fits smaller people better, and they come with a free hair tie on them.

The Deuter packs are not really ultra-light, but they're not bad, relatively inexpensive and they fit some people exceptionally well.
    The Osprey Exos 48 or 58 are fantastic go-to packs, loved by many, are quite light, readily available from many different outfitters, and are not gender specific.

I love my Exos 48 which I find the perfect size (to slightly large) for long-distance 3-season backpacking. I would recommend a different pack if I planed on carrying over 35 lbs regularly, but what a sweet carry up to 35 lbs.
    In that case, what should I be looking for fit-wise when trying on packs? I'd imagine that there are quite a few that would feel perfectly comfortable in-store but would rub/weigh on the wrong places after a few days weeks or months out on the trail, so are there any specific indicators that I can use to help me with fit?

I'm not terribly worried about the cost of hair ties...I could probably find enough to last me a lifetime under my bed

Life's a bit of a risk. So is buying a backpack.

Chances are, after trying on two or three with weight in them, you'll get a sense of some things that work and other things that don't work as well for you.

I am generally pretty comfortable with almost any pack that is the right size for me, especially if I am carrying 35 lbs or less. There is always a chance, small as it may be, that what seems like the perfect pack in the store has some unalterable problem out on the trail.

BUT, most modern backpacks, with a good reputation, are so well made and designed that, if they are the right size for your torso and hips you can make them comfortable on the trail.

Finally, if you buy your bag from someplace like REI (I think also EMS, backountry.com and others?) that has an unconditional satisfaction guarantee, if the pack doesn't work after a few trial trips, you can return it and try another one.

I say, jump in with both feet. Get outside and backpack as soon and as often as possible with whatever gear you can get your hands on immediately (instead of thinking and planning too much). You'll find out so much on the trail that wouldn't even occur to you to ask about until you spend the time outside. There is gear I use that I would have never dreamed of wanting anything to do with before I tried it. There is gear that seemed like the most essential and fantastic things every that, once outside, was either unnecessary or failed completely.

Good luck on your adventures!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Life's a bit of a risk. So is buying a backpack.

Chances are, after trying on two or three with weight in them, you'll get a sense of some things that work and other things that don't work as well for you.

I am generally pretty comfortable with almost any pack that is the right size for me, especially if I am carrying 35 lbs or less. There is always a chance, small as it may be, that what seems like the perfect pack in the store has some unalterable problem out on the trail.

BUT, most modern backpacks, with a good reputation, are so well made and designed that, if they are the right size for your torso and hips you can make them comfortable on the trail.

Finally, if you buy your bag from someplace like REI (I think also EMS, backountry.com and others?) that has an unconditional satisfaction guarantee, if the pack doesn't work after a few trial trips, you can return it and try another one.

I say, jump in with both feet. Get outside and backpack as soon and as often as possible with whatever gear you can get your hands on immediately (instead of thinking and planning too much). You'll find out so much on the trail that wouldn't even occur to you to ask about until you spend the time outside. There is gear I use that I would have never dreamed of wanting anything to do with before I tried it. There is gear that seemed like the most essential and fantastic things every that, once outside, was either unnecessary or failed completely.

Good luck on your adventures!
    Spot on about going out with what you can lay your hands on. I remember finding a 0 degree North Face bag for sale on Craigslist near me in FL when we first started doing overnight trips and settling on it because the price was right ($20). Way more than I needed for an area that rarely sees temps below 35 but it got the job done.

This is about your dog. What breed and size is he? In 1997 I took my black lab on an attempted thru hike of the AT. Smoky carried a pack also, and I made sure I didn't even come near the recommended allowable weight for him, so I carried the bulk of our food, water, and gear. We lasted 3-1/2 months and I had developed bursitis so bad I could barely walk. Smoky's problems showed up much later - his legs were so bad that I had to say goodbye to him when he was only 8 yrs old, and there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him. I would say get a small pack, but plan on carrying most of what he needs. Also remember that when you are down to about 4-8 oz of water and no water source is in sight, he will get the water. Same with a low food supply - it's only fair to the animal. I can't imagine backpacking anywhere without a dog, so enjoy the hike with yours, and maybe start giving him doggie supplements to prevent bone problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy97 View Post
    This is about your dog. What breed and size is he? In 1997 I took my black lab on an attempted thru hike of the AT. Smoky carried a pack also, and I made sure I didn't even come near the recommended allowable weight for him, so I carried the bulk of our food, water, and gear. We lasted 3-1/2 months and I had developed bursitis so bad I could barely walk. Smoky's problems showed up much later - his legs were so bad that I had to say goodbye to him when he was only 8 yrs old, and there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him. I would say get a small pack, but plan on carrying most of what he needs. Also remember that when you are down to about 4-8 oz of water and no water source is in sight, he will get the water. Same with a low food supply - it's only fair to the animal. I can't imagine backpacking anywhere without a dog, so enjoy the hike with yours, and maybe start giving him doggie supplements to prevent bone problems.
    Agreed completely! I'd rather not even make it through Georgia than go without him -- the thought of not seeing him for 6 months is unbearable -- and he will come first. Any packs etc. will be approved by his vet.

He's an 82 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback and Lab mix (the lab side was a mutt running around the neighborhood though so we don't know for sure what is in there breed-wise) and, between daily runs and lots of swimming, is mostly muscle. He'll be 3 years old when we start out hike.

Do you have any recommendations for supplements? Gotta keep those puppy bones healthy!

In my opinion the *best* way to get ready for the trail is hands on... this includes your gear. The *best* way to become familiar with your gear is to use it on the field. For example, the more you set up and take down your shelter, the faster you'll get at it, and the more you'll decide whether or not your setup.

For your backpack, since you have some time to prepare, maybe you can find or make some friends who have backpacks they are willing to let you borrow? Even if you can borrow it for just a day, take it and fill it with about 20 pounds of gear (even if you have to use water bottles and pillows), and try to take it on a fairly treacherous hike (lol). This will give you a good idea of how to adjust the straps on backpacks to get a good fit, and decide what you like and don't like about the pack style you're using, etc.

You can do research online and buy a pack you like at the store, and you will probably end up with something good (or great), but it always helps to put a few miles on something and get that first-hand experience. This goes with everything from your shelter and pack to your preferred way of making fire and cooking. --But I know this isn't always easy with expensive gear. Just some advice!
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

whether or not you like your setup*** 1st paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    In my opinion the *best* way to get ready for the trail is hands on... this includes your gear. The *best* way to become familiar with your gear is to use it on the field. For example, the more you set up and take down your shelter, the faster you'll get at it, and the more you'll decide whether or not your setup.

For your backpack, since you have some time to prepare, maybe you can find or make some friends who have backpacks they are willing to let you borrow? Even if you can borrow it for just a day, take it and fill it with about 20 pounds of gear (even if you have to use water bottles and pillows), and try to take it on a fairly treacherous hike (lol). This will give you a good idea of how to adjust the straps on backpacks to get a good fit, and decide what you like and don't like about the pack style you're using, etc.

You can do research online and buy a pack you like at the store, and you will probably end up with something good (or great), but it always helps to put a few miles on something and get that first-hand experience. This goes with everything from your shelter and pack to your preferred way of making fire and cooking. --But I know this isn't always easy with expensive gear. Just some advice!
    That was my first thought! Unfortunately I'm a college student and most of my friends would prefer to get their nails done than to hike the Appalachian Trail. The general reaction has been "Oh my god that's awesome, better you than me!"... My friend who will be coming with me is a very different body type from me (very curvy, and much taller) but I may try her pack just in case I end up liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    That was my first thought! Unfortunately I'm a college student and most of my friends would prefer to get their nails done than to hike the Appalachian Trail. The general reaction has been "Oh my god that's awesome, better you than me!"... My friend who will be coming with me is a very different body type from me (very curvy, and much taller) but I may try her pack just in case I end up liking it.
    Another option is to bring your gear in garbage bags or stuff sacks to a gear shop, they should be nice enough to let you load up a bag you like and give it a run. You may not get the whole experience just walking around the store with it, but you'll be able to get the right fit, and after trying a couple bags you should know what will work. Heck, my dad bought me my bag when I was 12 or 13, and I'm still using it at 26.

Between me, my wife and two sons we have few different types of ULA and Gossamer Gear packs. If you would like to look at them I would love to help a future hiker out. This would be a way to see the packs close up and load your gear in to see if they would work.

The Backpacker in Baton Rouge will let you bring your gear in and try on the packs. They have Osprey, Gregory and other popular brands. Not sure what shops New Orleans has for backpacks.

Always willing to help a hiker out, especially in my home state.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Between me, my wife and two sons we have few different types of ULA and Gossamer Gear packs. If you would like to look at them I would love to help a future hiker out. This would be a way to see the packs close up and load your gear in to see if they would work.

The Backpacker in Baton Rouge will let you bring your gear in and try on the packs. They have Osprey, Gregory and other popular brands. Not sure what shops New Orleans has for backpacks.

Always willing to help a hiker out, especially in my home state.
    I miss The Canoe & Trail shop on Bayou St. John. I still use things I bought there. Is Massey's still alive?

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I miss The Canoe & Trail shop on Bayou St. John. I still use things I bought there. Is Massey's still alive?

Wayne

I went to the Massey's in BR last year. Don't think you could completely outfit yourself for the trail there. Mostly clothing that looked good walking around campus in. I was looking for stuff for the kids and didn't see anything for younger than teenagers.

What about Pack 'N Paddle in Lafayette?

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What about Pack 'N Paddle in Lafayette?

Wayne

I've never been. But read many of their trail guides. That may be a good option to try some packs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++