Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Into the Wild

Default Into the Wild

Hey there, I'm new to this but looking into the PCT seriously to hike in the next year or next two years. How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? I'm assuming the type where you can come and go as you please perhaps? Or saving enough then career break for a bit. I'm just unsure how one goes about just packing up and heading into the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Hey there, I'm new to this but looking into the PCT seriously to hike in the next year or next two years. How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? I'm assuming the type where you can come and go as you please perhaps? Or saving enough then career break for a bit. I'm just unsure how one goes about just packing up and heading into the wild.
    I've been dreaming of the PCT for years now and saving/investing my money accordingly. I am lucky enough to have a good paying job and even luckier to not have a lot of worldly desires, so I've been able to save 50% of my take home income for the past 3 years by avoiding lifestyle creep and living frugally*. It will be a career break as you call it. I like to call it a sebbatical to family and freinds. This has worked for me and may work for you. There are other ways as well.

Financially, and it isn't for everyone, I'd recommend at least entertaining the ideas on the Mr. Money Moustache website and forum. The Trail Show podcasters (all triple crowners) have mentioned that website for financial advice for the distance hiking types so it isn't just from me. Generally it is about realizing how much time you are exchanging for all the crap you buy that you don't need and how you could spend less and therefor work fewer years of your life.

Demographically, I am 29 and recently married. The wife is excited to hike too. A last hurrah before kids and responsibilities and rooting somewhere.

*Bike to work and everywhere else, cancel cable, cut drinking out in half (either frequency or quantity), limit meals out for social occasions only, learn to cook well, call gift truces with your friends/family, only buy a new piece of clothing when an old piece breaks in some way, find free entertainment opportunities (I play chess in the park), live in as small an apartment or house as possible as close to work as possible. Most importantly, pay off your credit card statement every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    I've been dreaming of the PCT for years now and saving/investing my money accordingly. I am lucky enough to have a good paying job and even luckier to not have a lot of worldly desires, so I've been able to save 50% of my take home income for the past 3 years by avoiding lifestyle creep and living frugally*. It will be a career break as you call it. I like to call it a sebbatical to family and freinds. This has worked for me and may work for you. There are other ways as well.

Financially, and it isn't for everyone, I'd recommend at least entertaining the ideas on the Mr. Money Moustache website and forum. The Trail Show podcasters (all triple crowners) have mentioned that website for financial advice for the distance hiking types so it isn't just from me. Generally it is about realizing how much time you are exchanging for all the crap you buy that you don't need and how you could spend less and therefor work fewer years of your life.

Demographically, I am 29 and recently married. The wife is excited to hike too. A last hurrah before kids and responsibilities and rooting somewhere.

*Bike to work and everywhere else, cancel cable, cut drinking out in half (either frequency or quantity), limit meals out for social occasions only, learn to cook well, call gift truces with your friends/family, only buy a new piece of clothing when an old piece breaks in some way, find free entertainment opportunities (I play chess in the park), live in as small an apartment or house as possible as close to work as possible. Most importantly, pay off your credit card statement every month.
    As my rather crazy brother says, "money comes and goes, time just goes"
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Many take break between college and work, or are early 20s and save up then quit work or take leave of absence. After that the next big group is early retired, 55 ish. Careers and families do get in way.

Images

I took a leave of absence from a very good career. It worked out so well that I'm tempted to try a repeat for the CDT.

No bills is the key.

Work will always be there,
    Your knees may not be.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A user complained, privately, this thread has nothing do with the AT. I politely disagree. While the OP mentioned the PCT, it is about how to afford long distance hikes aka the AT. "How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? "

Carry on and know it applies to the AT or any long trail.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-18-2015 at 02:13.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A user complained, privately, this thread has nothing do with the AT. I politely disagree. While the OP mentioned the PCT, it is about how to afford long distance hikes aka the AT. "How do people do these kinds of things in the sense of a job? "

Carry on and know it applies to the AT or any long trail.
    Apologies if this is specifically for the AT and only the AT I thought it was more a collective thing between them all :P I want to participate in the hike just lacking funds and just left university makes it an issue ^^

There are always more jobs. One of the biggest benefits of doing something like this is that you will come away feeling empowered, truly realizing that every choice in life is just that - a choice, and past choices do not need to restrict future choices. I never went to college but have changed jobs and locations pretty often to move up; staying at one place too long always felt too restricting, and you can often end up making more money than you could hope for waiting around for a meager raise. There are exceptional workplaces though, which again not being tied down allows you to find. I am currently working for a great employer, but have been there too long - it is feeling very routine and not fun enough to justify the time I spend working (really, money is not that valuable, the happiest life is a simple one, money doesn't hurt but buying too many things and having stress sure does!).

So for me, I can fit things like this (will be my first thru hike attempt, but have had other adventures) in between other jobs. Personally, I am not happy with where I live either, so am waiting for my lease to end, selling/donating stuff I don't need, and will put the rest into storage for the duration of my hike. So then my hike is truly open-ended and I am not stressed by any schedule - I can simply walk a ton of miles and slowly contemplate what to do next in life without any influence of stress. You only live once (well, that you can remember at least), so enjoy it!

Apologies if this is specifically for the AT and only the AT I thought it was more a collective thing between them all :P I want to participate in the hike just lacking funds and just left university makes it an issue ^^
    You need enough funds for appropriate gear. You can be frugal/sensible about it though. You can also be frugal while on the trail, not staying at motels or hostels, not eating at restaurants, buying simple/cheap foods to cook, etc. That said I think it wise to have a comfortable buffer in the bank, so you don't have to stress and have something to get started with after your hike. You could work for the next few months very frugally and save up adequate money for the hike!

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    You need enough funds for appropriate gear. You can be frugal/sensible about it though. You can also be frugal while on the trail, not staying at motels or hostels, not eating at restaurants, buying simple/cheap foods to cook, etc. That said I think it wise to have a comfortable buffer in the bank, so you don't have to stress and have something to get started with after your hike. You could work for the next few months very frugally and save up adequate money for the hike!
    That's the plan anyway, I just wanting to sell my possessions and disappear into the wild at this point in time lol..

I'm* blasted mind, works faster than my hands..

Images

Many (most?) people hiking long trails are at transition periods in their lives. Lots of young thru-hikers in their 20s, fresh out of school -- they don't have any major investment in a career yet, so six months for a hike is doable as long as they don't have big student loans or other debt. Then there are lots of older folks who've just retired, most of them spent a lifetime dreaming of the hike. There are some thru-hikers in their middle years, but it's tougher - career, family, mortgage, retirement savings, all the trappings of modern life conspire against dropping out for for six months or a year.

At the most basic level, you need the appropriate gear, six months free, and $5000. Lots of people have one or maybe two of those things, but getting all three at the same time is difficult.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the advice about about Mr Money Mustache ("Financial freedom through badassity.") If there'd been such a thing as blogs when I was young and saving for early retirement, and if I were a talented writer, I could have written that. My wife and I saved aggressively, maybe even "badass-ly," through our short careers and were able to retire by age 40. Young and in shape, we started our hiking careers then.

A few who take career leaves for a hike report that the hike actually pays off--they get promotions and raises and career opportunities as a direct result of the hike. In my case, I was a volunteer firefighter at the time of my first thru hike, an aging lieutenant. My chief promoted me to captain when I got home--he said he saw "something different" in my demeanor, and I was the guy he wanted "standing in the driveway" during an incident. I also got a few very well-paid temporary contracts with my old engineering firm doing backcountry survey work because I had a proven ability to stay out in the field. You never know how your life will change because of a long hike. Heck, some even get married.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Im quitting my job in Feb and hitting the AT in March. Im 38 but I have my kids off to college and their finances taken care of(thankfully they got scholarships) . My job is nothing special. The way i see it, I was looking for a job when I found this one. Life is way to short to just work it away. I found for me that personal gain is worth far more than financial gain. I feel like I will be the odd ball out there as far as age goes. It seems most are a bit younger or older.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 09-18-2015 at 11:40.

Quote Originally Posted by susiegear View Post
    Im quitting my job in Feb and hitting the AT in March. Im 38 but I have my kids off to college and their finances taken care of(thankfully they got scholarships) . My job is nothing special. The way i see it, I was looking for a job when I found this one. Life is way to short to just work it away. I found for me that personal gain is worth far more than financial gain. I feel like I will be the odd ball out there as far as age goes. It seems most are a bit younger or older.
    I'm 35 and will turn 36 on the trail, so not too far off.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    You never know how your life will change because of a long hike.
    Moving to Colorado 15+ years ago was because of the Appalachian Trail. If it was not for the AT, I doubt I'd have the flexibility and desire to leave home.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto the advice about about Mr Money Mustache ("Financial freedom through badassity.") If there'd been such a thing as blogs when I was young and saving for early retirement, and if I were a talented writer, I could have written that. My wife and I saved aggressively, maybe even "badass-ly," through our short careers and were able to retire by age 40. Young and in shape, we started our hiking careers then.

A few who take career leaves for a hike report that the hike actually pays off--they get promotions and raises and career opportunities as a direct result of the hike. In my case, I was a volunteer firefighter at the time of my first thru hike, an aging lieutenant. My chief promoted me to captain when I got home--he said he saw "something different" in my demeanor, and I was the guy he wanted "standing in the driveway" during an incident. I also got a few very well-paid temporary contracts with my old engineering firm doing backcountry survey work because I had a proven ability to stay out in the field. You never know how your life will change because of a long hike. Heck, some even get married.
    i can honestly say that the PCT changed my life. I made the decision late in the hike that I needed a major change in my life. I ended up changing jobs six months later and this was the best career move I ever made. the hike gave me the wisdom to break out of my comfort zone.

For the PCT you need about $5,000 to hike and $2,000 for gear. Add a $2,000 buffer. Call it $10,000 total.

Every day you make choices on how to spend your time and money. I early developed a habit of frugality, largely because I had no choice. When I was working and making money, most of it went into savings. I worked minimum wage jobs, when I was young. I was 31 before I had enough money to quit my job and go for a hike. I did it again four years later. My next long hike was 7 years after that, followed by another the following year since we had the money and it is easier to head out when your stuff is already in storage. I married and we bought a house, but continued to live frugally. Most of our spare cash went for gas to go hiking. After 6 more years, we sold the house and headed out again. Do I go to the latest movies? Rarely. Do I have the latest electronics? Not at all. Do I have the most expensive gear? No way. I have what I need to be happy, because what makes me most happy is spending time outdoors. I don't miss the STUFF I would have bought if I hadn't chosen the lifestyle I chose. I would have missed a lot if I hadn't made the choices I did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++