WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike Partner(s) - Northern AT - 2016 (and beyond)

By the middle of October this year I will have completed section hiking the entire southern AT, beginning in 2016 I will be working on the AT from Wind Gap, PA north. Since I'm from Virginia it has been fairly easy to find hiking partners while hiking the southern sections. I often hike alone, but find it enjoyable to hike with a companion. Occasionally I meet someone on the trail and hike with them for part of my section. Other times my daughter (now 21), or other younger, sometimes new, hikers have come along. I have also hiked with hikers I have met on previous sections. I think it will be harder to find people to hike with me when I'm farther from home ... so ... I think it might be great to meet some other section hikers here on White-Blaze who would like to join me for 5-7 day hikes north of Wind Gap, PA.

I generally hike 12-20 miles a day. During my April'15 hike of the Georgia section my shortest full day was 12.9 and my longest day was 21.3. As one of the class of 2015 section hikers but it ... I'm not fast but I'm persistent. In general when I plan my trips I start with a daily estimate of 15 mi/day unless the terrain is particularly difficult. Most of the young hikers I have hiked with have been XC runners so endurance has not been an issue. I hike lightweight, base weight is usually right around 12# with 1.25# per day for food. I have been hiking most of my life and have come a long way since I hiked with a 43# pack in the 1970's.

So, if you are older and can hike 15 mi/day average, or younger and in reasonably good shape and want to hike with an experienced section hiker, or if your are anywhere in between but can do the miles ... send me a note ... we can chat and see if we can arrange time(s) and place(s) that works for both of us. I'd love to find a regular hiking partner.

Turtle

Turtle,
    I have section hiked from Springer to Duncannon. I am 41 and able to keep up with a 15 mile a day pace. I live in Crozet Va. I am starting to do more hiking up north. I am seeking to find folks to share shuttle with and also hike with. My schedule is pretty flexible. I work every other week and have 10 days a month to devote to hiking. When are planning your next section hike.
    Cheers
    Tony Lagana

I'll be looking for another section with a buddy or 2 with similar pace to yours, Turtle. I lack all of MD and PA but have done NJ,NY,CT and 1/3 of MA. I don't care to hike more than 2 weeks at a time though. I enjoy the social camp life as long as the thru- hikers are not filling the shelters like sardines in a can. Will also consider a late fall to winter hike in this section or in the section I lack in VA, which is everything West of I-81; Atkins to Daleville. I enjoyed my last winter section except it was lonely on weeknights. Got not one, but TWO new ebay deals on Big Agnes zero degree bags, one with matching pad, so I'd be happy to loan one out to a buddy if needed.

What mile mark is Wind Gap, PA?

Wind Gap is 1273.5 in the AT Book of Profiles ... which puts it just over 15 miles south of NJ. It looks like VT - ME would be the sections that might overlap. Because of my work schedule I only go out for about a week at a time. Stay in touch, and I'll let you know what I have in mind as in firms up and you would be welcome to join. I LIVE in the general area of the Atkins to Daleville section, so if you need a hand when you are in that area most certainly let me know!!!

Congrats on finishing the south!

Trying to find partners in the north may be more difficult, because logistics for solo hikers are much easier north of Wind Gap. While hiking with a partner is great for saving $$ in the south, mass transit is your friend in the north. You might want to start most of your hikes with Megabus from Christiansburg to DC (e.g., the 3:55 AM bus). Then, transfer to another bus, Amtrak, or catch a cheap flight to the north -- I often flew BWI (Baltimore/Washington) to MHT (Manchester, NH) via Southwest for the free luggage for the far north sections, or took cheaper buses or trains for the sections reasonably close to NYC.

If you can find a partner to pick you up when you get to the north, that makes things a bit easier, but just letting you know that the north is definitely manageable (timewise and $$ wise) if you can't find a partner.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Don't congratulate me too soon ... I still have 81.1 miles to do in October.

As far as finding partners in the North ... while the shared transportation will be nice, it is not my primary motivation. While in the south I have been close enough to home that a variety of friends have joined me for sections. In the North I have plenty of family and make regular trips to NH/ME, but few enough hiking companions ... so primarily I'm looking for other section hikers who would like to join me for the company.

But, thank you for the advise, I'm certain others will find it very helpful.

Well, if I don't hookup with Turtle, I could join you, Tony for a good section from Duncannon to Delaware Water Gap. What's the best public transportation to Duncannon? Fly to Harrisburg then public buses or what? To get to DWG, I flew to Newark, airport shuttle to Port Authority Bus Term, then commuter bus direct to DWG.

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    Well, if I don't hookup with Turtle, I could join you, Tony for a good section from Duncannon to Delaware Water Gap. What's the best public transportation to Duncannon? Fly to Harrisburg then public buses or what? To get to DWG, I flew to Newark, airport shuttle to Port Authority Bus Term, then commuter bus direct to DWG.
    Trail Angel Mary in Duncannon may be able to shuttle you from HIA airport. There are several WB members in area, too. When you are ready to travel to Harrisburg/Duncannon area, let us know. I still need Roundhead/ShowersSteps to DWG to complete PA section. - Disco
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    There is a commuter bus (Bus 23 at http://www.cattransit.com/routes-and-schedules/ ) that leaves from Harrisburg to the AT near Duncannon (Clark's Ferry) on weekdays only at 4:20 pm. If time is more important to you though, get a shuttle from Trail Angel Mary.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Turtle: I have completed the trail from Springer to Swartara Gap, PA. I just completed MA and CT, but need the remainder of PA, as well as, NJ and NY. My pace is slightly less than yours but I am generally good for 14-16 per day. My schedule is flexible and I usually use my vehicle to do a combination of slackpack and nights tenting on the trail.

Would be interested in joining you for some miles next spring.

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk ... possibly, I was thinking that NJ might be on the "cool" side in April (maybe someone has an opinion on this) and due to other commitments I was kinda thinking to do the last 15 mi of PA and NJ in the summer or fall ... it is pretty rare that I slackpack ... I tend to park at the "end" and shuttle to the start and hike to my car ... although I've done it most ways that it can be done ; ) ... stay in touch and lets see if we can work something out!!!

Hello..

Just wanted to check in on the status of hikes in PA. I actually live near HIA and about 20-30 minutes south of the trail in Duncannon. Depending on weather, I'm planning on hiking from eckville shelter area, (just past the pinnacle/hamburg) to the New Jersey border. Other than that I'm frequently hitting sections in this area. Also, if anyone is flying into HIA and wants to get to the trail, I can provide a shuttle.

-Greg

++ New Posts ++