WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lost Dog in Mount Rogers VA Area

pegs.jpg
    Peggy Sue

White with black markings, black heart-shaped mark on her left side. She is about 1 year old, spayed, and weighs just over 15 pounds. She was wearing a purple collar with a tag including her vet's number (it's a California number but I have alerted them to expect possible sightings in Virginia if anyone were to call them).

Last seen the morning of September 10, about halfway between Thomas Knob Shelter and Elk Garden. She caught a scent of something that intrigued her, then got away from me and vanished. Two days of searching have proven unsuccessful, so I'm hoping she was already found by someone and is safe. She is very friendly and extremely likely to approach anyone she might have met on the trail or nearby. She would come if called by name or by whistle. Pegs is my best friend and I am brokenhearted at the idea of her being missing. Please help me find her, I am offering a reward for any information leading to her return. Thank you so much.

What kind/color leash did she have on?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What kind/color leash did she have on?
    Probably didn't have a leash or this wouldn't have happened.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Found!!!!!!!

A wonderful couple found her and after more disappearances and close calls with large wildlife, she is safe and sound. Thank you to all the trail angels out there that make these reunions possible.

pegs.jpg
    Peggy Sue

White with black markings, black heart-shaped mark on her left side. She is about 1 year old, spayed, and weighs just over 15 pounds. She was wearing a purple collar with a tag including her vet's number (it's a California number but I have alerted them to expect possible sightings in Virginia if anyone were to call them).

Last seen the morning of September 10, about halfway between Thomas Knob Shelter and Elk Garden. She caught a scent of something that intrigued her, then got away from me and vanished. Two days of searching have proven unsuccessful, so I'm hoping she was already found by someone and is safe. She is very friendly and extremely likely to approach anyone she might have met on the trail or nearby. She would come if called by name or by whistle. Pegs is my best friend and I am brokenhearted at the idea of her being missing. Please help me find her, I am offering a reward for any information leading to her return. Thank you so much.

[/QUOTE]

That's great news!

It is a shame that you came here for help on the Dog Forum and were greeted with the obnoxious replies above.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    That's great news!

It is a shame that you came here for help on the Dog Forum and were greeted with the obnoxious replies above.
    It's great the dog was found, but it was avoidable. Mount Rodgers is in the Grayson highlands state park and dogs in the park are required to be on a leash. I am heartbroken so many dog owners ignore these regulations and then have their dog run away and chase wildlife. If the dog was on a leash, then there is really no excuse for it running off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Glad your dog is back. I hope you keep it safe in the future.

Images

I still meet many hikers who think that they do not need a leash for their dog.Here in TN,where the trail passes through several "wildlife game management areas",all dogs, except those used for hunting must be on a leash.It's really nice when you may be at a shelter having lunch and someone's unleashed dog runs ahead of it's owner and sticks it's nose in your lunch. Also if your unleashed dog encounters a bear or raccoon,it might get hurt.It seems like many new to hiking don't understand how this works.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

A couple of nights ago I was in the yard gardening with my son and his unleashed dog. She saw another unleashed dog up the street and took off after it. We found her 3 blocks away, but it did take a while. It was a foolish mistake to have her unleashed that will never happen again. In the woods she would be lost.

If you have to keep your dog on a leash to keep it from running away, perhaps it doesn't like you very much. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by onecamper View Post
    If you have to keep your dog on a leash to keep it from running away, perhaps it doesn't like you very much. Lol.
    Wow that is an ignorant comment.

Unleashed dogs and inconsiderate people are an all too common nuisance on many trails but what's really trashing up the Grayson/Rogers area are those ignorant, farting, trail-churning cattle. If you're into cow tipping, cattle rustling, cow pie frisbee, or free-range grass fed beef its the place to be.

++ New Posts ++