WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Dog Breed For Making A Thru Hike?

Hey everybody!

I'm considering doing a thru hike in a few years. For those of you who have done it with a dog, what breed was it? Or what breed do you think would handle it best?

Thanks!

There are several threads you can probably access that have come and gone about dogs on the AT. All kinds of dogs have been taken out on this adventure, but statistically it tends to lower your chances of completing the trail. You also have to be able to carry, lift, or hoist the dog up some serious rock faces along the trail that requires some planning or conditioning if the dog is 50 lbs or more, and there are places you cannot hike the trail with the dog, Great Smokey Mountains National Park and Baxter State Park in ME being two that will require kenneling or shuttling with a kenneling service unless you walk around GSMP (difficult and very time consuming) or end the hike prior to entering BSP.

There is a lot to dogs on the trail, some have done it, but it makes a challenging journey even more so.

Rhodesian Ridgeback. Bread for lion hunting, very people friendly.
    Saw one at Tome Leonard shelter this week and he was quite defensive against the bears attacking the bear box during the night. No fear
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

First, to White Blaze!

I have nothing against well-behaved dogs on the trail, but did feel the need to throw some thoughts out there... If you are thinking about getting a dog so that you would have a companion on your tru-hike, there are many logistics that would go into that trip. You will have to carry their food, you will have to find boarding for your dog for the sections of the trail where the dog is not allowed, and it is not as simple as simply hitting the trail with your buddy. I speak from experience - my two dogs often hike with me. With that, I would never consider a thru-hike for either of them.

The answer to your question of what breed is best suited to the trail is simple - There is no one breed. Dogs, like people, are individuals. Some like hiking. Some like curling up indoors. I had a Sheltie who could out-hike most dogs and I have a lab/golden who wants nothing to do with long distance hiking. If you are looking to get a dog specifically for hiking, I would highly suggest concentrating on a specific dog, rather than a breed in general. Find one (or better yet....let one find you) who is outgoing and social, one who responds well to commands, one who loves being outdoors.... There are no guarantees that ANY dog will want to hike over 2000 miles.

I do not mean to be harsh when I say this...but the way your question was posed, I feel the need to say it. A dog is not a piece of gear to be picked up as part of your kit. If you already had a dog who loves hiking, then I would not discourage you from bringing your well-behaved dog along on the journey. However, getting a dog for your hike is probably not in the best interests of the dog. The AT is a social place - You will meet others to hike with... Others who can provide company same as a dog. Having a dog along means you will not be able to go in to some places your new trail friends will want to go. If your friends want to head to a bar, what will you do with your dog? That is just one question toward the logistics of bringing a dog along... Some places of lodging will not accept dogs, what if the dog gets hurt, is your gear light enough so you can handle carrying the dog's heavy food (the weight of dog food adds up fast) are some of the other questions you might want to ask yourself.

It's good that you are asking questions in advance of your hike. I do not mean to discourage that at all! I am sure you don't mean to make it sound this way, but getting a dog specifically for the hike is not a wise choice. Get a dog because one needs a good, loving home - There are many out there who are looking for someone to rescue them!

Well said, Water Rat. I'm a long-time dog owner, but I'd never take a dog on an extended hike either. I have enough trouble taking care of myself.

Whelp, so far I am the only response that actually answered the question at hand. The OP asked nothing about the opinions of how to or to or not to thru hike with a dog. Asked for breeds.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I think a mini schnauzer would make an great hiking breed.
    Robust, thick coat, small enough to carry if required but not too small where people would question your sanity for bringing a tiny dog on a long hike.

Images

If I were getting a dog especially for hiking I would seriously consider either a border collie or a border collie mix. We fostered a border collie Pyreneese mix that was a calm border collie or a very energetic pyr. But with shorter hair and smarter than any dog I've ever had, he was in a way the best of both breeds. Not sure you could tire him out either.

Images

Agree with the Border collie or mix, Anybody try with a Jack Russell ? My Lab is great for colder weather trips and keeps the bears away - we had a encounter this spring.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If I were even contemplating a long hike with a dog, it would be because I already had a well-trained trail dog.

I'd love to do such a thing. But I can barely scrape together time for the occasional hike. No way do I have time to train up a trail dog.

And if I did, the breed would be uncertain - because it would depend on what Animal Protective Foundation had in house when I was looking.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I would recommend a working breed dog. I know a lot of people have been recommending smaller dogs so you can carry them if something happens. I would go the opposite direction and go with a larger breed, German Shepherd, Belgian Mal, Labrador, or something along those lines. There are built to do the extended walking, very easy to train to behave appropriately, and can carry some of there own weight like some of there food so you wont have to carry it for them. I don't know if I would want to try to thru hike with a dog but ive done plenty of backpacking with my female German Shepherd and loves it just as much as I do.

Aussie cattle dog. No competition. I didn't even know there were dogs like that until I got one. I take her everywhere, she bothers no one. She could do basic tricks..leave it, sit, stay, roll over at 10 weeks old.

Oh, and use peststar. Never pulled a live tick off of her and I only use it every other month.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Whelp, so far I am the only response that actually answered the question at hand. The OP asked nothing about the opinions of how to or to or not to thru hike with a dog. Asked for breeds.
    This is not in the straight forward section, and we are talking about a live animal. We are not talking about an inanimate object - Sometimes food for thought is necessary. If it means saving a dog from being dumped on the side of a trail because it didn't work out, then I am more than happy to deviate from giving a a direct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    This is not in the straight forward section, and we are talking about a live animal. We are not talking about an inanimate object - Sometimes food for thought is necessary. If it means saving a dog from being dumped on the side of a trail because it didn't work out, then I am more than happy to deviate from giving a a direct answer.
    Right you are.....

So far were having real good success with this breed, the nitrates keep em fresh for quite a while...and they don't bark and repeat. Also cheap enough to leave on the side of the trail without much concern if I'm feeling fullish.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jack Russel - hikes 15+ miles each day - light weight, can be lifted on climbs, lives 17+ years and learns quick... sharp as a tack.

don't underestimate the cuteness factor.....

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

When I was hiking in Franconia Notch, I ran into a guy with this breed of dog.

099.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't remember the breed, but the guy told me that they are specifically bred to carry packs and go on long jaunts. He told me all of this, because I stopped him to talk about it. I was concerned that making a dog carry packs was cruel. He seemed to know his stuff, and the dog was certainly very happy.

I was there with my little buddy, who was always great when we would go hiking together, but nothing that was a long hike. Unfortunately, he is getting too old to hike anymore, so I couldn't bring him with me when I went hiking this summer, but we have some great memories together.

051.jpg

If I were you, I would ask a veterinarian about something like this. Also, I would do whatever I could to adopt from a shelter. (You can find any breed or mix in shelters, and there are even rescue shelters that deal with only specific breeds, like the one from which my cocker spaniel came to me.)

wanna be hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    If I were getting a dog especially for hiking I would seriously consider either a border collie or a border collie mix. We fostered a border collie Pyreneese mix that was a calm border collie or a very energetic pyr. But with shorter hair and smarter than any dog I've ever had, he was in a way the best of both breeds. Not sure you could tire him out either.
    As much as I love alaskan huskies, if I were to take a dog on my hike, it would be a border collie hands down. The smartest, most perceptive breed that I have ever encountered.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure if the breed is as important as the dog. Plain old mutt with the hiking mindset and body.

wanna be hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Not sure if the breed is as important as the dog. Plain old mutt with the hiking mindset and body.
    Agreed lemonb, it was a particular dog. Just my personal experience.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++