WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wise old Owl wrote: Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

+2. I may borrow this quote

Breed is everything as a rule. Sure, you might get a dog from a shelter and spend two years getting him trained to obey voice commands instantly..but the odds are you won't. A Bassett hound is not going to finish the AT, no matter how much time you have.
    The dog has to be very attentive to its owner and be able to ignore it's instincts. Most dogs will drink as soon as they see water for instance, you have to break that instinct. This takes training but it also takes a particular breed of dog. That's why breeds were developed. Also, female dogs are generally better at listening in my experience. I've had dogs all my life and in my opinion you can do no better than a healer for hiking. I'm no great dog trainer but my healer is as well behaved an animal as you will find.

Quote Originally Posted by onecamper View Post
    Wise old Owl wrote: Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

+2. I may borrow this quote

Breed is everything as a rule. Sure, you might get a dog from a shelter and spend two years getting him trained to obey voice commands instantly..but the odds are you won't. A Bassett hound is not going to finish the AT, no matter how much time you have.
    The dog has to be very attentive to its owner and be able to ignore it's instincts. Most dogs will drink as soon as they see water for instance, you have to break that instinct. This takes training but it also takes a particular breed of dog. That's why breeds were developed. Also, female dogs are generally better at listening in my experience. I've had dogs all my life and in my opinion you can do no better than a healer for hiking. I'm no great dog trainer but my healer is as well behaved an animal as you will find.
    I disagree. I got my dog from a rescue shelter when he was, the vet estimated, eight years old. He was a street dog for at least some of the time before his rescue. You would think that this would make him aggressive, and unable to accept training.

Since then, he became a certified therapy dog, and we have been volunteering at an assisted living facility, weekly, until his recent retirement. To be certified, he had to undergo training, have the disposition, and be extensively tested. He has been great on the trail.

Old dogs, and even all dogs, easily learn. Your statement about the odds is completely wrong. Breed is not important, other than certain physical limitations, which is where knowledge and vets come in.

Remember "The Little Rascals," or their original name, "Our Gang?" Petey, their mascot and pal, was a Pit Bull. You can Google to find the stories about all of the dogs that were used by Michael Vick for dog fighting, that are now in loving homes with families and children, despite enduring extended torture.

It is the people, not the breed, that is the real rule that determines the outcome. The only reason that breed enters into the picture is because of physical limitations for tasks.

The first picture below is Slowpoke (that's his name) sitting on the lap of a resident (face not visible due to privacy rights) at the assisted living facility while the lady gets a haircut in the facility's beauty salon. I have pictures of my street dog in the wheelchairs, and in the beds of patients that are completely confined. The second picture is the day that he got his certification as a therapy dog. The picture from the previous post was from Mount Kearsarge in New Hampshire.

20150108_141430.jpgPACKER HOWARD.jpg

An eight year old dog could've had a fair amount of training...living on the street won't make them forget that training. The stats on dogs at shelters are over 90% have no training at all. Besides that, training a dog to be a therapy dog is not trail training. All a therapy dog really needs to do is be calm and obedient. Hey, I'm not looking to argue the point, all I can tell you is that healers and herding dogs are different from house dogs. They are working dogs that are bred to be attentive to the job. That's why they make good trail dogs. I'm not dissing your dog or any shelter dog, it's admirable to take in these animals, but the OP was what's the best breed for hiking the AT, I'm sticking with a cattle dog. In fairness, mine has only done sections...but she has been IN Madison hut, lol.

Pick a mellow, friendly dog.
    I chose a Norwegian Elkhound who was friendly enough, but had too much hunting blood/instinct. He killed a fawn in PA, then woodchucks, then sank his teeth into a porcupine in Vermont. Nothing but trouble!

I recommend mixed breeds, for both on and off trail, for many reasons. They tend to be healthier, in general, with less in-bred behavior problems.
    As someone who loves hiking and loves dogs (and some dogs love hiking, so we have that in common) I wouldn't discourage any responsible person from taking their dog on a thru hike. Being responsible means educating oneself about all that entails safely and respectfully hiking with a dog. Read up on up trail etiquette and LNT principals. Remember that you are taking on another life when you take a dog on the trail. Are you willing to board her when she isn't allowed on sections? Pick her up after? Take her to the vet if she gets sick or injured? Possibly end or postpone your hike if it's bad? Do you have someone to take care of her if you have to go on without her? Think through all the scenarios. Also, it will change your experience. You will have to make sacrifices and pass up opportunities. It will cost you more financially. There are some sections where you will literally have to carry your dog.
    Also, when you get a dog you are making a commitment that you will take care of them until the end of their life. When your thru hike is finished, this dog will be bonded to you.
    Best of luck to you in your hike and your search for a dog!
    When your hike is over, you will have a companion for the rest of her life

Images

Any dog that does well on a leash.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Any Dog with a want to go and won't chase animals and run off for hours.

I have a 50 lb, bad kneed mutt who loves hiking. He doesn't run off. He strays maybe 10 feet from me, always comes back. Doesn't chase animals/people. He has more miles that myself. Yet, he is retired due to his knees blowing out at just over 3 miles. (so we only do 2.5 miles with aspirin. lol)

I also have a 6-7 lb small dog that so far loves to hike. She does get tired, so I pick her up. She sleeps well in the hammock, and doesn't go far. Now if only I can get her to stop playing tag when off leash.... -.- She's less than a year.

Please keep your dogs on leash, the reasons are obvious and have been way,way beaten to death.
    Back to the OP, a good mutt, sounds like stay away from hunting breeds. I have not met an Aussi shepherd that I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by rachels0880 View Post
    Hey everybody!

I'm considering doing a thru hike in a few years. For those of you who have done it with a dog, what breed was it? Or what breed do you think would handle it best?

Thanks!
    I agree with the Schnauzer suggestion. We all know about Atticus. I had a Mini Shnauzer/mutt and he was perfect once he got into shape. He fit in my sleeping bag with me and a 20 pound dog eats much less than a 50 pounder. We just had to build up the mileage per day at first.
    P6230071.JPG

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I disagree. I got my dog from a rescue shelter when he was, the vet estimated, eight years old. He was a street dog for at least some of the time before his rescue. You would think that this would make him aggressive, and unable to accept training.

Since then, he became a certified therapy dog, and we have been volunteering at an assisted living facility, weekly, until his recent retirement. To be certified, he had to undergo training, have the disposition, and be extensively tested. He has been great on the trail.

Old dogs, and even all dogs, easily learn. Your statement about the odds is completely wrong. Breed is not important, other than certain physical limitations, which is where knowledge and vets come in.

Remember "The Little Rascals," or their original name, "Our Gang?" Petey, their mascot and pal, was a Pit Bull. You can Google to find the stories about all of the dogs that were used by Michael Vick for dog fighting, that are now in loving homes with families and children, despite enduring extended torture.

It is the people, not the breed, that is the real rule that determines the outcome. The only reason that breed enters into the picture is because of physical limitations for tasks.

The first picture below is Slowpoke (that's his name) sitting on the lap of a resident (face not visible due to privacy rights) at the assisted living facility while the lady gets a haircut in the facility's beauty salon. I have pictures of my street dog in the wheelchairs, and in the beds of patients that are completely confined. The second picture is the day that he got his certification as a therapy dog. The picture from the previous post was from Mount Kearsarge in New Hampshire.

The bold section is what I disagree.

A great dog owner can train any dog but the extent of the training is quite dependent on the breed of the dog. a hunting dog for example is destined to be distracted by smell to varied degrees. It has been programmed for generations to do so and for training that hunting dog not to follow its natural instinct you need to spent an ample time when you can use this time to fine tune some other breeds.

Generally most of the dog that have Sheppard( or sheepdog ) in their breed name are normally suitable for hiking. They are programmed to herd and follow cows and sheep for long hauls and are generally the smartest breeds in the IQ level and mostly very obedient and goal oriented . Border collie , German Sheppard , Australian cattle dog, Australian Sheppard , Shetland sheepdog are among the best hiking dogs accepted by many hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post

I cannot imagine why you would disagree with him as most of us have had different breeds and rescues.. and as a prior basset hound owner - they suck at hiking.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

I am just guessing, having not hiked with dogs, even though i have 2.

Medium dog. 20-40 lb, female, docile, well behaved, trained well

All my female dogs have been FAR less troublesome than males ive had. Currently have two females. I can say ones more than id want to hike with, and one isnt enough. Females are more docile generally, want to please it seems, but depends on breed. My brother has a young black/tan female coonhound.....wild, and nuts. Too much energy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-25-2016 at 05:28.

Always remember that you want a dog that will be happy year round, not just on hikes. That Australian Cattle Dog that's amazingly trainable and a perfect hiking/working dog will be miserable cooped in the house, or tied in the yard, or even fenced in a small yard while you're working 9-5 for the majority of your year. A miserable dog is a dog that has annoying behavior problems, which will tend to make you miserable as well.

Mutts have a longer healthier life span than many purebreds. Less worries about a lot of very specific health issues that might come out and be exacerbated during a long hike. Get a dog that suits your lifestyle, and be prepared to alter your lifestyle to care for your dog appropriately. It's a big commitment.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Always remember that you want a dog that will be happy year round, not just on hikes. That Australian Cattle Dog that's amazingly trainable and a perfect hiking/working dog will be miserable cooped in the house, or tied in the yard, or even fenced in a small yard while you're working 9-5 for the majority of your year. A miserable dog is a dog that has annoying behavior problems, which will tend to make you miserable as well.

Mutts have a longer healthier life span than many purebreds. Less worries about a lot of very specific health issues that might come out and be exacerbated during a long hike. Get a dog that suits your lifestyle, and be prepared to alter your lifestyle to care for your dog appropriately. It's a big commitment.
    I would say the same thing about most if not all the high IQ dogs. they are perfect when they have an active,interactive life and if they don't they would be twice destructive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++