WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Your one luxury item?

Forgive me if this thread is redundant. I've searched the forums and come up empty handed.

I am curious what is the one item that you hike with, regardless of the weight, need, and what every other hiker talking head says...

I carry my handheld thermal imager/camera. It weighs a little over 12 oz with batteries, but man it takes some cool pics! Its neat stay up after hiker midnight and watch the woods come to life with the wildlife when it is pitch black... I think most would be surprised at how much wildlife wander into our camps after we a safely zipped up in our 1 pound tents...:-)
    mtm-000-a4.jpg _2895736_orig.jpg

Whats your must have item, that is not related at all to your hike?

-

my luxury is always food - I do without a lot to be able to carry very heavy groceries when the mood and opportunity coincide

My knitting, usually socks.

My camera. Canon EOS Rebel xsi. It is fast becoming dated. Waiting for the mirrorless cameras to come down a bit.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up I don't want to quibble over the word, "luxury"

But the fact is that I wouldn't be out on The Trail unless I had my cell phone -- which is also my camera, GPS, map viewer, music box, store locator, etc, etc.

I myself have to consider this item a "luxury" when you consider that hominids have been doing long distance walks for about half a million years before they started doing so with cell phones.

But I just don't think I could do so without it. Without a means to contact my wife periodically (I try to do so once a day), or SOME means to contact help if I need it, I doubt I'd have the courage to disappear for even a week.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I don't think I have just one luxury item, but most of them are related to why i hike, even if not necessary to making the miles. I do photography, and map making, and journalling, and want the tools for it:

Camera.
    Smartphone and charger (The charger is a mil-spec 14000 mAh one, about the size, shape and weight of a small brick, because I run the smartphone GPS all day long.)
    Cables for camera, smartphone, charger, AC adapter, spare camera batteries, spare memory card.
    Guidebook.
    Notebook and pencil for field notes.

Beyond that:

Nylon bucket. (I like a bath once in a while.)
    Melitta filter for coffee. (If I can't have real coffee I'm not going!)
    Tyvek tent footpint (that very seldom goes under the tent, but becomes bath mat, doormat, ground sheet at shelters, dry place to sit, etc.)

When I'm solo, or on a bushwhack, or traveling in winter, or expecting an extended period without cell coverage, add:

ARC ResQLink PLB

And every gear list that I share with others lists: "None of your business - 2.0 lb"
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post

And every gear list that I share with others lists: "None of your business - 2.0 lb"
    if you want to post in the lightweight forum quit writing "none of your business" on 2 lb clay tablets

Stock picture of the telescope that I carry but have replaced the metal tube with a carbon fiber tube cutting the weight with the tripod down to 12 pounds 3 Oz

Quote Originally Posted by kjbrown View Post
    Stock picture of the telescope that I carry but have replaced the metal tube with a carbon fiber tube cutting the weight with the tripod down to 12 pounds 3 Oz
    Nice! I see a new niche market....

2 lb !!!! Holy cow AK! My "none of your business" weighs 8 oz. I sure hope "none of your business" covers more than just 1 "none of your business" item. If not, I am going to start calling you Tipi AK.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I was going to say beer, but who are we kidding, thats a necessity.

Images

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    2 lb !!!! Holy cow AK! My "none of your business" weighs 8 oz. I sure hope "none of your business" covers more than just 1 "none of your business" item. If not, I am going to start calling you Tipi AK.
    How much of my 'none of your business' budget I actually use is also none of your business.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

How much of my 'none of your business' budget I actually use is also none of your business.
    I will not conceal that detail. I carry 0% of my 8oz none of your business item on the trail.

Off the trail, I can be counted on carrying 100% of "none of your business".
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 09-09-2015 at 12:45.

I must be such a boring sot.

I don't carry any "none of your business" or any other luxury items on a regular basis. If I carry luxuries, it's because I want it or them for a particular purpose on a particular trip. . .

Although, I do carry a tent, a stove, a cooking pot, various fancy food, probably 10 lbs of "luxury items" to accommodate my wife's preferences when she comes. Thank goodness I start off pretty light so the extra 10 lbs is still manageable.

When going with my brother-in-law I generally take a flask of Scotch.

Although, I am certainly not dependent on it, I take my phone and still don't consider it a luxury item since it is (as noted above by GoldenBear) my gps, alternate map source, light, alarm clock (for climbing), camera, music box, book, communication device, trail journal, guide book, etc. . . mostly it's just my camera.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Usually a border collie, sometimes a german wirehaired pointer instead. Worth every ounce.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Bear Canister
    SPOT

2.5 lbs so that my husband has the luxury of a great night's sleep at home.

And I also sleep better with the bear can. I don't think that I'd fall asleep with food in my tent. And I'm pretty sure that I'd just end up with a bear pinata attempting a bear hang.

Since I'm carrying the stupid bear can, I really don't have room for other luxuries.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What I sort of consider "luxury" above and beyond what is "required":
    Camping Broom and Dust Pan - Used to keep the inside of the tent clean, and the broom often comes in handy to clean off other surfaces.
    Sitting Pad - Cut from a WalMart blue sleeping pad. Not only softens what ever you are sitting on, provides a dry place to sit when its been raining, and is great for fanning the flame for the times I'm around a camp fire.
    Gravity System - I use an Evernew bladder attached directly to a Sawyer mini. That's all you NEED to filter water. But to make things easy, I include some tubing directed into a platypus.
    Battery powered Fan - During summer weekend hikes. Helps with that transition time from getting in your tent when it's still just a little too warm to get to sleep.

A small MP3/FM radio combo.

Luxury item? Not sure. I carry what I want. At the end of the day, it is only weight. I don't mind carrying a little more of it. I've never had a hike where I thought "if I had only taken a lb or 5 lbs less in gear, it would have made a difference."

Of course, I am mainly a weekend warrior. Longest trip I've done was 4 nights in the smokies finishing by noon the next day. Maybe if I were to thru hike my opinion would change, but I sincerely doubt it.

I suppose camp clothes may be considered a luxury item. I like changing out of hiking clothes and sleeping in clean clothes and being in my tent/sleeping bag/ camp with clean those even though I am never clean. I bring my camera to document my hikes. My phone. My air pillow. Baby wipes for a baby wipe bath before getting into camp clothes. I don't count lbs so i don't consider anything I carry a luxury item.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++