WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My luxury item is my Big Agnes Bellini camp chair. 1.7 oz of pure comfort. I use it after a long hike sitting in the campground around 4:20.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Cheesecake, you crack me up. I want to hike with you. Rolls
    I can vouch for the cheesecake. He has brought one to both of the winter group hikes we have been on together. The dang thing weighs almost six pounds.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Default Hey Cool

Cool,
    What kind of range do you get on that night vision? I've long thought of getting one to use in the midwest, but everything there is much larger scale and I've read they only work up to several hundred feet. Could you see heat trace on a mountain a mile away?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    This was purchased in another life, when I had a very real need for it and it was used daily. It was also purchased as part of a "professional gear package" Now it has been re-purposed for my hiking trips... With that said, it is a Inisght (L-3) MTM-IR with IR laser for target designation. Here is a link to look at the specs (and to see the cost GASP!)

This is just the first site that popped up when googled. I am sure you can probably find it cheaper if you looked.

http://www.cobratactical.com/L-3-Ins...ed_p_7661.html

I nominate you for the most expensive pack on the trail probably EVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dabeachman View Post
    Cool,
    What kind of range do you get on that night vision? I've long thought of getting one to use in the midwest, but everything there is much larger scale and I've read they only work up to several hundred feet. Could you see heat trace on a mountain a mile away?
    You can get man sized signature ID'd at around 450 meters, but you can see heat flares much much further. Example, I could see the heat of a goat on the side of a hill but couldn't tell you it was a goat until I was under 500. Normally. For ultra long distance you need to divert a predator drone from Nellis.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

wanna be hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    I laugh every time I see AK say that. Sometimes the weight of my "none of your business" varies. Diversity is key.

But seriously, I carry an old smartphone to use as my GPS. I keep track of all my hikes, distance, time, calories burned, etc. I use my new phone for emergencies, "come get me" phone calls, and for taking pictures/video. I recently purchased an Anker 20000 mAh charger to keep them full.

I always have a small 3x5 notepad and pen so I can update my blog. I always carry either a folding map of the area or a photocopied map section of the area.

But my one huge comfort I've been bringing lately is a book. I love falling asleep reading a book.
    Blaster, what application(s), did you use for GPS, distance, time, etc.?
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++