WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smoke or no smoke off I go in morning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock & Roll!
    Have fun!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Did he stay or did he go now?

If he goes there will be trouble
    An' if he stays it will be double

Section Hiker

Your pics gave me chills, Salty--have a fantastic time and be safe! Glad you decided to go!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I started hiking north from Devils mid day Thursday and ended at happy isles lil after noon on Sunday....amazing country!! Unfortunately on Saturday morning I stood up to get out of my tent got the spins and fell back inside..I had already pulled the plug on the neoair so I laid inside unable to move for a few hours without getting spins(vertigo)... About 10 am I was able to very slowly gather my stuff and slowly get some more water down to water in Lyle canyon as I just ran out. Eventually I was able to hike the 5-7 miles into tuolomne meadows force down the worst $15 burger and fries...sat around till around 3 and pushed on to Sierra camp feeling lil better. Sunday morning I felt mostly better so I was up and rolling by 7 and reached HI mid day feel pretty good until I looked up after getting off the shuttle and again about went down....spins..I rode the tarts back to mammot where I planned to hit Devils southbound today but still feeling lousy I'm now sitting outside shatz bakery contemplating what to do? I really want to press on but not sure if it's smart with even higher altitude to come.

Here are a few pics from the most amazing place I've ever been!!

Awesome pics! Hope you feel better and have a great finish to your hike.

Any health issues you'd want to communicate? You look decently fit/healthy. Drinking plenty of H2O possibly with an electrolyte? Did ya get to go by Clouds Rest or summit HD? With your arrival time at HI and what I could tell about you I thought it would certainly be doable for you taking in either of those desires on a JMT hike but I felt you needed to do so without undue delay. Weather so far looks good for your hike. Glad you went out to the Sierras?

Move slower as far as making movements like standing up that you would normally do rather quickly.

I'm not immediately placing where you are in the pic in front of the signage?

Images

Nice pictures Salty. Give it a day and see how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Any health issues you'd want to communicate? You look decently fit/healthy. Drinking plenty of H2O possibly with an electrolyte? Did ya get to go by Clouds Rest or summit HD? With your arrival time at HI and what I could tell about you I thought it would certainly be doable for you taking in either of those desires on a JMT hike but I felt you needed to do so without undue delay. Weather so far looks good for your hike. Glad you went out to the Sierras?
    I had vertigo test done about 5-6 months ago do to this issue. I have damage on rt side to my ear drum(40% hearing loss). I dealt with this often back then but had gotten allot better since as had been going to therapy....this is the first reoccurrence in a while that lasted over 12 hrs.....no I passed on both HD and cr as valley was very smokey from Lyle on...with this wasted day I'm wondering if it's feasible to finish from Devils south in 9 days if I feel better in morning. I'm just a little concerned as bailing isn't easy if i need to do this...

I guess my main concern is my footing being lil off kilter with any places with drop offs etc....

You just didn't give yourself time to adjust to the elevation. That takes a few days to a week. Also learn and practice the rest step when climbing. Take 2 or 4 steps and pause for a couple of seconds on the 3d or 5th. Resting on odd numbered steps alternately resets each leg.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You just didn't give yourself time to adjust to the elevation. That takes a few days to a week. Also learn and practice the rest step when climbing. Take 2 or 4 steps and pause for a couple of seconds on the 3d or 5th. Resting on odd numbered steps alternately resets each leg.
    I guess that's possible but I was taking diamox....

I did feel ok the first 2-15 mile days but maybe altitude played a part

Take it easy. Rest up. Day hiking in that part of the world would be better than bailing out.
    All the best to you!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Didn't you all read what Saltysack said about vertigo possibly being caused by damaged ear drum? Not sure how that damaged ear drum MIGHT be more affecting his balance at significantly higher elevations than he's accustomed. Not sure if there's appropriate short term adjustment techniques IF that vertigo is largely or entirely being the result of the damaged ear.

Saltysack, curious as to the techniques you employed that adjusted you to the damaged ear drum that led to greeter balance. Can you add more of those techniques into your life as you hike possibly having some positive balancing results?

Rest up and be prepared to just do a section hike if you don't have enough time to finish the whole shebang.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++