Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 70 of 70
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.
    Thanks,can't wait to see your newest creation.

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.
    Correct. 14g (weight) is right at 17.5ml (volume), which isn't going to boil 3 cups even with a very efficient setup.

    Many times I've boiled 3 cups in the Open Country 3-cup pot (a classic that is no longer available) using one 14g Esbit, using the simple Tri-Wing stove/stand and and aluminum windscreen.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Correct. 14g (weight) is right at 17.5ml (volume), which isn't going to boil 3 cups even with a very efficient setup.

    Many times I've boiled 3 cups in the Open Country 3-cup pot (a classic that is no longer available) using one 14g Esbit, using the simple Tri-Wing stove/stand and and aluminum windscreen.
    Wow, I would have thought you had posted that info on BPL in the esbit threads. Please give a link to where it was posted....I missed it. 3 cups with 1 fourteen gram esbit has not been heard of on any of the forums.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Wow, I would have thought you had posted that info on BPL in the esbit threads. Please give a link to where it was posted....I missed it. 3 cups with 1 fourteen gram esbit has not been heard of on any of the forums.
    HERE ya go... 2015 on BPL. But I was using the legless BGET and my own cylinder type Ti pot support at that time... you may recall, at some point we also discussed my theory of increased 'dwell time' of the gases.

    To me, the Holy Grail was always 4 cups. Closest I ever got was 206F.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  5. #65

    Default

    For great efficiency you might also look at the Flat Cat esbit burners with one of their awesome wind screens. I had been using a couple different trail designs setups with very good results. However, once I tried the Flat Cat esbit burners and the wind screen that works with them and the Kovea spider, I never went back. With the esbit burner I can bake using one 14 g tablet for almost an hour. If I want boiling water I generally can get 20 ounces, a frequent requirement, to boil and sustain the boil for a minute or two. I really appreciate how clean my pot bottom is using the epicurean burner. The sooty residue from most esbit burners was a major inconvenience. Since my 20 ounce water boils last for a minute or two after boiling, I expect you'll be able to get 3 cups to a boil with one tab. For reference, I use 37F water as a starting point for most testing I do.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

  6. #66

    Default

    4 cups on one tab still looks like an attractive, and perhaps attainable goal. Maybe someone at home socially isolating will come up with a suitable system.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    4 cups on one tab still looks like an attractive, and perhaps attainable goal. Maybe someone at home socially isolating will come up with a suitable system.
    Renais
    I gave it a pretty good shot back in the day. It would take some clever final push in efficiency to achieve an actual rolling boil.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    For great efficiency you might also look at the Flat Cat esbit burners with one of their awesome wind screens. I had been using a couple different trail designs setups with very good results. However, once I tried the Flat Cat esbit burners and the wind screen that works with them and the Kovea spider, I never went back. With the esbit burner I can bake using one 14 g tablet for almost an hour. If I want boiling water I generally can get 20 ounces, a frequent requirement, to boil and sustain the boil for a minute or two. I really appreciate how clean my pot bottom is using the epicurean burner. The sooty residue from most esbit burners was a major inconvenience. Since my 20 ounce water boils last for a minute or two after boiling, I expect you'll be able to get 3 cups to a boil with one tab. For reference, I use 37F water as a starting point for most testing I do.
    Renais
    Info here detailing system I used for 3-cup boil with 1x 14g tab. Did it many times.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  9. #69

    Default

    Duh!!!!.........how did I forget that, "oldtimerz" I suspect

    Thanks cmoulder for going back in time to find that info.

    Your set-up was fine tuned for sure!

    Info here detailing system I used for 3-cup boil with 1x 14g tab. Did it many times.

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Duh!!!!.........how did I forget that, "oldtimerz" I suspect

    Thanks cmoulder for going back in time to find that info.

    Your set-up was fine tuned for sure!
    No worries! It was kinda "burned" into my memory!
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •