WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "I have different packs(kits, jacket, et) for different types of trips. From fast and light weekends, to a week in the rain, to extended stay in harsh winter conditions."

Couldn't have said it better than Cadenza or Tipi. Different trips, different adventuring/backpacking activities/philosophies/locations where the trips involve extremes like mountaineering, climbing, above treeline exposed traverses, extreme adventuring, remote routes/trails, off season/non fair season/FOUL weather/highly mixed conditions, etc. may require greater or different kit considerations. Not everyone limits their adventures to maintained or frequently traveled highly sociable trails in fair weather with umpteen road crossings, regular pre layed out shelters, endless documentation/signage/blazing/written guides/etc, or with likely assistance close at hand nor does everyone wish to regularly splurge for gear that is prone to breaking down. Mind you all that comes from one with a typical UL mindset.
    Thats all great. And can be done with one pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "I have different packs(kits, jacket, et) for different types of trips. From fast and light weekends, to a week in the rain, to extended stay in harsh winter conditions."

Couldn't have said it better than Cadenza or Tipi. Different trips, different adventuring/backpacking activities/philosophies/locations where the trips involve extremes like mountaineering, climbing, above treeline exposed traverses, extreme adventuring, remote routes/trails, off season/non fair season/FOUL weather/highly mixed conditions, etc. may require greater or different kit considerations. Not everyone limits their adventures to maintained or frequently traveled highly sociable trails in fair weather with umpteen road crossings, regular pre layed out shelters, endless documentation/signage/blazing/written guides/etc, or with likely assistance close at hand nor does everyone wish to regularly splurge for gear that is prone to breaking down. Mind you all that comes from one with a typical UL mindset.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
    Thats all great. And can be done with one pack.
    Gregpphoto - but you're killing the dream - a dream wherein we need a Land Rover to make those off road trips to the mall and our Arcteryx to brave the wilds of Central Park.

Why just this morning, I had a lonely, desolate trek down the NJ Turnpike with no water supplies and tons of NY drivers. Once I got to the office, who knew what wildlife was lurking at the edges of the parking lot, ready to strike. I had to bushwhack through the wilds of my office parking lot a full 200' from my car to the door in moderate rain. I felt unprepared for the journey, for I was wearing my OR Helium II as my only outer layer, but somehow I made it safely without an Arcteryx. (But I'm heading over to REI tonight, as I can't handle conditions like that again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Gregpphoto - but you're killing the dream - a dream wherein we need a Land Rover to make those off road trips to the mall and our Arcteryx to brave the wilds of Central Park.

Why just this morning, I had a lonely, desolate trek down the NJ Turnpike with no water supplies and tons of NY drivers. Once I got to the office, who knew what wildlife was lurking at the edges of the parking lot, ready to strike. I had to bushwhack through the wilds of my office parking lot a full 200' from my car to the door in moderate rain. I felt unprepared for the journey, for I was wearing my OR Helium II as my only outer layer, but somehow I made it safely without an Arcteryx. (But I'm heading over to REI tonight, as I can't handle conditions like that again.)
    Hahahaha this is awesome.

Anecdotal as it is, I'll throw my experience in to counter. I left home January 2015 via bus to Austin Texas, then via thumb to Joshua Tree California. I thumbed back to Austin in April, and bused back to NJ. So I rode a bus, hitchhiked, explored cities, backpacked, and rock climbed, all with one pack.

thanks for the story - I am hoping they help me because right now I am not really thrilled with their customer service - I just ordered an Arc'teryx Alpha FL jacket- had planned on making it my winter shell jacket as well as raingear. I have NEVER spent $400 on a jacket or any single piece of clothing in my life before. The package arrived yesterday and I opened it with my hands (it was a soft bag package) and put it on to check the fit and we noticed that there appeared an odd line in the fabric by the wrist and so I took it off and looked and it looks like some sort of snag going up the fabric a few inches. I do not wear jewelry and there was nothing I did to put any kind of mark and it was only out of the bag for maybe 2 minutes. For some it might not be such a huge deal but for a $400 jacket I would hope to get it without any marks or scratches on it. I contacted customer service and asked how I can return the jacket and have them send me an undamaged one and sent them a picture of the snag and I was not really thrilled when their reply email asked me what I had opened my package with and perhaps I had damaged it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++