WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    One of my most important lessons learned on the trail is that the body is very, very efficient at using calories, but you gotta build up that efficiency. Problem is that our bodies lose that efficiency, because we mostly sit around, thereby the body breaks down, and we keep stuffing (and stuffing...) our faces with food -- so no reason to be efficient.

We've all heard the mantra: We eat too much..., that's a very true statement, but many don't understand just how much we all overeat.

A thru-hike is one of those activities that virtually everyone loses weight, not so much because we are walking all day (not down-playing the importance of that...), rather because we are forced to ration our food, because we don't carry that much food, since it's heavy. We are all burning way more calories than we are taking in, something that is very hard to do when you have unlimited access to food, despite how much you workout. BTW, that fatguyacrossamerica will find it tough to lose weight, he would have lost it much faster on a thru-hike, because on a bike he has food all around him. Not saying he won't lose weight, he kind of has to, since he's so heavy, but I'd be really interested in what his daily diet consists of...

You want to lose weight, you gotta cut way back on your intake, period. Forget all the advice that says you gotta eat so many calories per day; your calorie intake depends on your activity. Today is my rest day from working out, all I did was yard work. I ate no breakfast/lunch and my dinner consists of yams, soup and garlic bread. Not exactly 2,000 calories.

Yes you will feel hungry and there will be times you feel a little light-headed (if working out on an empty stomach), but work thru it and your body will learn how to feed off your fat stores, instead of waiting for the easier fuel source (whatever you stuff into your face).

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014...-machine_31034

Excerpt:
    Bike Guy has also been having dental problems, and has been taking some time off to deal with them. He's been in and around towns, though. I would hate to have a dangerously-abscessed tooth spiral out of control while away from a town with a clinic. (I'm prone to such abscesses.) One thing I will do before setting out is attending to dentistry (even as some dental things cannot be controlled; I practice great oral hygiene and I still have problems.)

Thanks for the quote and perspective about burning fat. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I'm interested in how his journey turns out. The guy from the NYT a couple of years back (I can't recall his name) seemed to have an easier time of it from Washington State to New York. But he was in good physical and emotional health. Bike Guy started out with issues to begin with, and I hope all that biking helps mitigate some of his mental health problems as well. (Maybe not the panacea, but of some assistance, as exercise can help so many of us.)

As well as a thru-hike, a cross country bike ride is also on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the walkin' ain't the hard part. it's doin' it every day for months. bet you love pizza but do you wanna eat it every day for 5 months?
    Quote Originally Posted by damskipi View Post
    I do! That sounds awesome.
    no grasshopper, fantasy and reality are different things. listen to the wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky-- View Post
    Thanks for the quote and perspective about burning fat. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I'm interested in how his journey turns out. The guy from the NYT a couple of years back (I can't recall his name) seemed to have an easier time of it from Washington State to New York. But he was in good physical and emotional health. Bike Guy started out with issues to begin with, and I hope all that biking helps mitigate some of his mental health problems as well. (Maybe not the panacea, but of some assistance, as exercise can help so many of us.)
    This is my mindset when it comes diet and exercise:

-- Food/diet is how I lose (or keep off) weight, not exercise.
    -- Exercise is how I make (and maintain/keep) the body strong, not thru diet.

I know there is some overlap there, but that is the mindset I must always have when it comes to losing/keeping the weight off. Exercise is a constant for me, luckily it's part of my everyday life, if for nothing else my bike (note my screen name) is my primary form of transportation and has been for nearly 30 years. Plus I regularly run and lift weights.

You'd think keeping the weight off would be no problem for me --- wrong! I can easily (very easily) put the pounds back on if I don't watch myself, mostly because the more you workout the bigger your appetite -- and that gets back to why a thru-hike is so effective when it comes to people losing weight, i.e. the very necessary food rationing.

So just because this guy had to take some time off his X-country bike trip shouldn't really matter if he was serious in losing weight; the only way to lose it is thru reduced calories, period.

But, for most people, hiking is a pleasant way of exercising. Yes, its difficut, but its, mostly, not boring. I really need to get my barbells back out again. Too much slacking lately

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no grasshopper, fantasy and reality are different things. listen to the wolf
    I actually know somebody who ate pizza at least one meal a day for 5 months, missing only two days. He celebrated his accomplishment with a pizza party

there are exceptions

[QUOTE=Mags;2036421]I don't think anyone said anything was required. Suggested, yes.

I was eluding to this post by malto:

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    if I were king then I would require at least a hundred mile hike prior to allowing my subjects to begin a thru hike. But since I'm not a King, I just will watch and shake my head as the majority of thru hike attempters discover that reality is much difference than the romantic notion of a thru hike. There is a huge difference between a weekend and a multi month hike as you will learn. And physical fitness is not nearly as important as mental fitness which is gained through experiencing conditions as hard or harder than what you see on your thru hike.
    That really set off my rant tbh. I can't stand when people put requirements on nature. Er, I should explain that more. I dont mind requirements that protect nature from the human element but the requirements that protect humans from nature are ridiculous. If that human wants to go out in nature and not do their research and die on a mountain or trail or whatever else. That is their decision. We are in the information age and if someone cant find information about their chosen path and do the research then that is on them.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Wrong on at least one count. NOBO, SOBO, flip-flopper or section hiker, sooner or later, one way or another, you've got to make the miles to be a 2000 miler.
    I don't mind and will admit when I am wrong (several times a day). But this one you got wrong. I didn't put the 2000 miler requirement for my list, you added that requirement, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    I don't mind and will admit when I am wrong (several times a day). But this one you got wrong. I didn't put the 2000 miler requirement for my list, you added that requirement, not me.
    The thread is about the necessity of shakedown hikes.... I assume that is in the context of preparation for a thru-hike or some other ambitious long-distance hike.

A shakedown hike for a shorter hike is a tautology.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The thread is about the necessity of shakedown hikes.... I assume that is in the context of preparation for a thru-hike or some other ambitious long-distance hike.

A shakedown hike for a shorter hike is a tautology.
    That is still an assumption you made. Just because it is a long distance hike, even if it is the AT, doesn't mean they are going for a 2000 miler "achievement" as you imposed in your rebuttal. Either way this is a frivolous argument that the rest of the thread is probably already dreading.

If you are the debating type and want to continue I would love to carry on a PM about it as you seem like a sensible and fun person to debate with.

YMMV HYOH

Starting on a thru hike is a leap of faith. Your goal of hiking the entire trail depends on many things over which you have essentially no control (accident, illness, etc.). Nobody can predict whether they will fall victim to calamity or lose interest after hiking 100 miles or 1500 miles. There is a limit to what you can anticipate and prepare for before you start. If you knew exactly what thru hiking was like before you started it would diminish the excitement and experience. Spend a night or two trying out your gear, break in your boots and hit the trail. If you don't make all the way, so be it - your life will be richer for trying
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

[QUOTE=Mtsman;2038166]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I don't think anyone said anything was required. Suggested, yes.

I was eluding to this post by malto:

That really set off my rant tbh. I can't stand when people put requirements on nature. Er, I should explain that more. I dont mind requirements that protect nature from the human element but the requirements that protect humans from nature are ridiculous. If that human wants to go out in nature and not do their research and die on a mountain or trail or whatever else. That is their decision. We are in the information age and if someone cant find information about their chosen path and do the research then that is on them.

wow, you are easily set off. Nobody put any requirements. Lighten up Francis.

[QUOTE=Malto;2038301]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post

wow, you are easily set off. Nobody put any requirements. Lighten up Francis.
    You are right.

I think your thought was just the straw that broke the camels back. There are many articles about regulations put on hikers and more so mountaineers that are starting to pop up more lately. I don't have a problem with authority like many people may assume but I don't think the oversight needs to be THAT micromanaged. If people are stupid enough to die for their lack of information and preparedness then that is only strengthening the gene pool in my mind.

I guess that is a little harsh to say, especially if others have loved ones that have fallen prey to nature but they ultimately accepted that responsibility and were willing to die for their goals. There should be no one that stands in the way of that persons decision. Especially people that don't even know that person.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++