WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

In my opinion -- there's no way to know if you'll like long distance hiking until you've done it. What exactly is "long distance" -- well, that's hard to say. I had done quite a few hikes of 1, 2, or 3 nights in the woods, in the White Mountains and the Adirondacks, before attempting a thru. That's not quite enough.

The gear issues sort themselves out, usually within a few days or weeks. Setting aside money issues, injury, family emergencies, etc., it's the drudgery, repetition and tedium of a thru-hike that cause most folks to leave the trail. And leave they do, even after months of trying.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    In my opinion -- there's no way to know if you'll like long distance hiking until you've done it. What exactly is "long distance" -- well, that's hard to say. I had done quite a few hikes of 1, 2, or 3 nights in the woods, in the White Mountains and the Adirondacks, before attempting a thru. That's not quite enough.

The gear issues sort themselves out, usually within a few days or weeks. Setting aside money issues, injury, family emergencies, etc., it's the drudgery, repetition and tedium of a thru-hike that cause most folks to leave the trail. And leave they do, even after months of trying.
    +1 well said.

Life is full of things we do or take on with minimum preparation. Building a garage without having much building experience to speak of, buying a car for the next 8 years based on a 20 minute test drive, having children without living with an infant on weekends and weeks off for a year, or starting a business without a lot of business ownership experience. Hard to get experience in these things until you do them. Same is true for long distance hiking.

Some take on long distance hikes due to the romance of them, some take it on as a challenge after camping out a few times, others its all they do. That some take it on without a lot of experience and fail is not necessarily cause for derision, failing and trying again are hallmarks of strong character. Those that fail and never return to the woods are not failures, they tried something they believed was worthwhile and it proved to be not for them. Likely they left the trail and went on to tackle something they became successful doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    We live in a society today that is used to instant gratification. You can have anything you want, right now. Yes, they buy $1000 golf clubs and dont know how to play. Yes, they buy $100,000 boats and dont know anything about boating or fishing. Yes, they buy $750,000 houses that they cant afford, on pure speculation that the price can only go up. And yes, some decide to hike 2000 miles just because they are enamored with some overly romanticed concept, or totally bored with their cookie cutter existence.

So a lot of people make foolish impulsive choices based on marketing, imagery, and dreaming. So what?

Its not that hard, it can be learned on the fly, people get in shape quickly. Even out of shape fat people can enjoy themselves too. Many nobos each spring have never hiked before, some of them make it, while others with experience....quit. A weekend hike, or a week, doesnt uncover much of the mental challenges that longer hikes create.
    100% this. Although I would call it less foolish and more dreamer. Too many armchair hikers telling new people with a dream they can't do it IMO. Let people try. The great thing about Hiking is that it really is not that hard. even a 6 month thru is not the hardest thing you will do in your life. If someone has a dream to Hike the AT. Whether its a life long dream or some flight of fancy brought up from a movie, book, or some overly romantic idea of what a thru hike is. Who cares? Let them go after it. Sure some will fail and some will even fail hard. Some will never go hiking again. Some will fail but fall in love with hiking and mite even come back and make it all the way. And one of them first time dreamers might just become the next Triple Crowner!

And hiking gear is not really the most expensive impulse buy one can make. My $4000 Walkera Scout X4 that has only been in the air once says hi. And just about everyone dose it. I am willing to bet most if not all of you have a few items just sitting around that seemed like a good idea at the time. At the least that hiking gear could be great for bugging out when the Aliens fly out of the Yellowstone volcano causing the earth to flip its magnetic pools and melting the ice.... Or whatever it is that is going to kill us all this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Yes, and what I'm saying is that a vast majority of people don't have the capability to do a multi-month hike. People have jobs, mortgages, bills, family, etc. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to do something. I do most of my walking in the hills and currently live in a very flat part of the country. I only go on one or two proper hiking trips a year but that won't stand in my way.
    There is this thought by some that those who thru-hike/LD hike are in some "Special" category that allows them to partake in thru-hiking. Here it is. There is NOTHING special about being in the position to thru-hike/LD hike. There are no mysterious set of predicaments where the planets align and the moon turns to blood that must occur to thru-hike/LD hike. People find individually appropriate solutions to thru-hike/LD hike when they earnestly seek them! People find a way just as they have also found a way to make it through puberty, lose their virginity, become a better lover, graduate middle school, high school, and college, save up for their first car or house, become a spouse or father or mother, hold down a job, win their first fight, make it through 4 yrs in the military, grow tomatoes, drive a car, obtain a home/biz loan, ride a bike, cook the perfect al dente spaghetti, change a diaper, and punch keys on a keyboard.

5 or so months is a while to take off from a job or leave a spouse and child to fend for themselves (presuming the spouse is not working). The combination of those elements alone would be difficult to counter, aging out of puberty as a comparative notwithstanding. As you cited, finding a way to hold down a job requires being at the job. I don't compare the effort to nab a 5 month vacation to cooking spaghetti well, changing a diaper, or growing tomatoes myself, but its an interesting comparison. You must be a really freaking good spaghetti cooker!

There are indeed special circumstances that people can create for themselves or take advantage of that solve these problems, but they are few in number on any given year. Which explains the high percentage of single youngsters trying their thru luck annually. Thats the demographic that has less responsibility in life than someone of 40 likely has.

I am not saying it cannot be done with some gumption, but several times over my working life I tried to get the time off from a career to do an LD walk without success. Had I gotten that, getting away from the house, wife, kids, payments, etc would have been more difficult but manageable to a larger extent. I submit someone would need a certain amount of good timing combined with a degree of luck to make it all happen on their schedule without losing something in the process. That loss, depending on what it is, probably keeps many people from making the choice. A 5 month walk costs something, the price tag varies for everyone.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Yes, and what I'm saying is that a vast majority of people don't have the capability to do a multi-month hike. People have jobs, mortgages, bills, family, etc. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to do something. I do most of my walking in the hills and currently live in a very flat part of the country. I only go on one or two proper hiking trips a year but that won't stand in my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There is this thought by some that those who thru-hike/LD hike are in some "Special" category that allows them to partake in thru-hiking. Here it is. There is NOTHING special about being in the position to thru-hike/LD hike. There are no mysterious set of predicaments where the planets align and the moon turns to blood that must occur to thru-hike/LD hike. People find individually appropriate solutions to thru-hike/LD hike when they earnestly seek them! People find a way just as they have also found a way to make it through puberty, lose their virginity, become a better lover, graduate middle school, high school, and college, save up for their first car or house, become a spouse or father or mother, hold down a job, win their first fight, make it through 4 yrs in the military, grow tomatoes, drive a car, obtain a home/biz loan, ride a bike, cook the perfect al dente spaghetti, change a diaper, and punch keys on a keyboard.
    Two sides of the same coin, really.

By my lights, anyone I meet Out There carrying the necessary stuff in a backpack is a hiker.

There's nothing special in deciding to attempt a multi-month hike that warrants special treatment. What's hard is sticking with it - but it's no harder than sticking with anything else important. I'd argue that sticking with my marriage for 25 years was a lot harder than doing a thru-hike - and I'm happily married. And then the other thing that's hard - so hard as to be impossible for many - is letting go of all the other priorities of life. I don't happen to see anything in thru-hiking that would make it worthwhile to let go of my other priorities, thank you very much. But that's an individual decision.

By the same token, there's no failure in deciding that thru-hiking does not appeal, or that one's priorities lie elsewhere. Nobody should have to present their credentials to enter the trail.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Things worth achieving require extended effort and choices to be made. Of course, if a concerted belief exists that the achievement is not absolutely worth it from the onset the effort to find solutions to gain the acheivement will not be invested. Finding possible solutions and innovation where they were not found in the past often require rethinking or redefining the challenges approaching brainstorming solutions from perspectives not previously explored.

I was eating spaghetti when I wrote that post. It was pretty darn good. It was also an unusual outside of the box scenario. Here's a good example about what I'm talking. How do you envision that eating of spaghetti? I'd bet you didn't envision it as eating spaghetti made from 100% quinoa topped with maitake mushrooms, avocado, and olive and truffle oil using only chopsticks. What does that tell you? What can you learn about that? Hopefully it relates that someone had to rethink or redefine how spaghetti was made and eaten.

Really, these principles extend to scenarios infinitely beyond the ability to thru-hike/LD hike.

If these principles were never enlisted by Earl Schaeffer, Eric Ryback, Grandma Gatewood, Andrew Skurka, Justin Lichter, Jennifer Pharr Davis, and a multitude of other innovators they would never have achieved what they did.

"There's nothing special in deciding to attempt a multi-month hike that warrants special treatment....it's no harder than sticking with anything else important. I'd argue that sticking with my marriage for 25 years was a lot harder than doing a thru-hike - and I'm happily married."

There you got it. Takes pretty big long term commitments and efforts coming to the DECISION to find individually appropriate solutions to finish 4 yrs of college, 13 yrs of elementary school, paying off a 30-40 yr mortgage, raising children, especially the first one when you have zero experience, up to the age of 18 yrs old, finding the money to buy your first car as a teenager raising money by mowing lawns or working at McDonalds, raise yourself out of the crime and poverty stricken ghetto, turn your life around after a foolish adolescent act lands a minority in prison, etc. WE FIND WAYS THOUGH! DON'T WE?

"And then the other thing that's hard - so hard as to be impossible for many - is letting go of all the other priorities of life."

See, now if you can redefine that you may find an individually appropriate solution that DOES NOT entail walking away from your spouse, a career, and life's other priorities. I've seen it done first hand repeatedly. BUT, when you're NOT willing to believe there is that individually appropriate solution waiting for you you'll never earnestly invest in seeking it.

"I don't happen to see anything in thru-hiking that would make it worthwhile to let go of my other priorities, thank you very much. But that's an individual decision."

Words written on the wall.

"By the same token, there's no failure in deciding that thru-hiking does not appeal, or that one's priorities lie elsewhere. Nobody should have to present their credentials to enter the trail."

Absolutely. But again it sure is shweet when we make that decision based on independently knowing that if we earnestly sought individually appropriate solutions we could if we wanted!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Go out. Backpack for 5-7 days. Most people should have the vacation time to do this activity. See if you like backpacking for a few days. If you don't, perhaps a 5+ month hike is not for you. Try something different.

Not sure why this sensible advice causing so much consternation.

Better yet, is there a logical reason to NOT do such a simple thing before investing time, money and possibly putting your career on hold and/or family obligations for 5+ months?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Practice and research are useful preparation for a thru-hike, but by no means a guarantee of success.

I've witnessed hikers who appeared to be woefully unprepared and walked the distance. I have witnessed hikers who were fit and well-prepared who did not.

Our big dog here on Whiteblaze likes to make the point that he quit his thru hike in Gorham. Not just once but twice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Go out. Backpack for 5-7 days. Most people should have the vacation time to do this activity. See if you like backpacking for a few days. If you don't, perhaps a 5+ month hike is not for you. Try something different.

Not sure why this sensible advice causing so much consternation.

Better yet, is there a logical reason to NOT do such a simple thing before investing time, money and possibly putting your career on hold and/or family obligations for 5+ months?
    I wonder what percentage of thru hikers like backpacking. Seems like a great many don't incorporate it into their lives after they reach Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I wonder what percentage of thru hikers like backpacking. Seems like a great many don't incorporate it into their lives after they reach Katahdin.
    I've wondered about that myself. In any case, I feel bad for thru hikers who've walked through beautiful sections in bad weather, and wonder whether they ever had the urge to revisit those sections.

And I know a few dedicated peakbaggers who have zero interest in camping or long-distance hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I've wondered about that myself. In any case, I feel bad for thru hikers who've walked through beautiful sections in bad weather, and wonder whether they ever had the urge to revisit those sections.

And I know a few dedicated peakbaggers who have zero interest in camping or long-distance hiking.
    I yearn to go back the peaks where the weather did not cooperate while I was there. Fortunately that list is not long. Carrigain is one such peak. After I get the 67 of New England, I will revisit many peaks. Carrigain will likely be the first.

Beyond the desire to go back, I do not understand the hiker that will hike 100's, if not 1000's, of miles, but won't take a 0.5 mile Blue Blaze to a breath taking view. Many hike for a notch in their belt and miss the treasures near the trail they are walking on.

HYOH and all that.... I guess.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 09-09-2015 at 19:24.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

i am the king of blue-blazes

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i am the king of blue-blazes
    I don't doubt that.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Beyond the desire to go back, I do not understand the hiker that will hike 100's, if not 1000's, of miles, but won't take a 0.5 mile Blue Blaze to a breath taking view. Many hike for a notch in their belt and miss the treasures near the trail they are walking on.
    Not sure why all the fascination with extra blue-blaze views and waterfalls. Are they something you reflect back on years later and memories that bring you joy?

Now the pair of Black Backed Woodpeckers I spent time with over the weekend, they will be with me forever.

Edward O Wilson could see more in a square foot of dirt than most hikers could see along every blue blaze that was ever built. No reason to take even one unless you feel the urge.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not sure why all the fascination with extra blue-blaze views and waterfalls. Are they something you reflect back on years later and memories that bring you joy?

Now the pair of Black Backed Woodpeckers I spent time with over the weekend, they will be with me forever.

Edward O Wilson could see more in a square foot of dirt than most hikers could see along every blue blaze that was ever built. No reason to take even one unless you feel the urge.

It truly is a choice. I am not saying mine is superior. I am just saying that I don't grasp the many thru's I have seen with their heads down making miles. Some hike at night. It is a mystery to me. Obviously many grasp it. Many do it. When I am on the trail, I am constantly being distracted by the beauty of the trail. Why the fascination with the detours? My goodness there is so much beauty in those detours. I am the kid that runs to the next attraction at the fair. I hike fast because I want to see what is next. When I see what it is next, it becomes a part of me. Yes, I treasure those memories.

the only blue blaze i regret not doing is gulf hagas. i'll do it one day

Images

I yearn to go back the peaks where the weather did not cooperate while I was there. Fortunately that list is not long. Carrigain is one such peak. After I get the 67 of New England, I will revisit many peaks. Carrigain will likely be the first.

HYOH and all that.... I guess.
    I can answer this. Because the "breathtaking" view is virtually identical to the breathtaking view that you saw twice earlier that day and will see three times later in the day, once at sunset. People have different motivations, what may be a perfect day relaxing at an overlook may be shear torture for some who like to be on the move.

Images

It truly is a choice. I am not saying mine is superior. I am just saying that I don't grasp the many thru's I have seen with their heads down making miles. Some hike at night. It is a mystery to me. Obviously many grasp it. Many do it. When I am on the trail, I am constantly being distracted by the beauty of the trail. Why the fascination with the detours? My goodness there is so much beauty in those detours. I am the kid that runs to the next attraction at the fair. I hike fast because I want to see what is next. When I see what it is next, it becomes a part of me. Yes, I treasure those memories.
    I don't understand why people don't hike more at night. More wildlife to see, cooler temperatures, incredible light show as the moon plays in the trees. My goodness there is so much beauty in that darkness.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++