WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default You Know You're a Long Distance Hiker When...

-When you use Tinder to meet people its cuz you helped start their fire..
    -You know your base weight to the ounce but don't know the day of the week.
    -The bears are truly more afraid of you, than you of them.

help me out folks!
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

When your food weighs more than your clothes, bed, and home combined.

When you can smell a clean person 50 yards away.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

when you don't know your pack weight, don't care what day or time it is, don't know which town your stopping in and you don't know how many miles you walked
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

When you scan every aisle in the grocery store while doing your weekly food shopping, checking for anything new that might possibly make a good trail food.

When you routinely buy quantities of bananas, pineapple, and apples on sale so you can dehydrate a big batch, even if your next section won't be for months.

Birdbrain...LOL. Smell of soap coming thru! Never understood till the first time I smelled em before I saw em!
    Kayak Karl....love the attitude! (Or total lack of one!). Wish I'll get as laid back as you.
    TipToe...soooo true. Always packing and prepping for a hike now.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

You know you are a regular LD hiker when:

You're regularly seen mowing the lawn, changing the oil in the car, and weeding the garden in spent $150 trail runners and $80 Icebreaker tees.

You're vacation time is spent volunteering doing trail maintenance.

You're often mistaken for an ultra runner.

You know the cal/oz ratios of common grocery store foods.

You're "luggage" when you travel is also always a backpack even on suit and tie biz trips and you see nothing wrong with that.

When offered the comfy bed to sleep at your relative's house you opt for the floor and say "no thanks" to their offer of a comforter saying you brought your sleeping bag or quilt.

When running low on food to prepare for some unexpected visitors you somewhat reluctantly hit up your high cal/oz ratio hiker food stash to serve.

When few know you by anything other than a trail name and some long time hiking friends you still don't know their full legal name.

When you know what JMT, BMT, AT, PCT, CDT, CT, LT, AZT, HDT, PNWT, fp, CF, Ti, WP, WR, 1p, 2p, denier, dyneema, vibram all stand for.

When you question all things marketed as water proof and breathable.

When your next three "vacation periods" will all be LD hikes on new routes.

When you've bought at least one precision digital scale and regularly take it to all outfitters. You also check advertised gear wts with all actual as delivered gear wts.

Your feet have taken on the splayed characteristics of a gorilla's feet.

You question consumption and materialism.

When you know virtually all day and weekend hikers end their hikes with unused and unwanted extra food.

When you feel comfortable conversing, meeting, and occasionally hiking with those that are known as Anish, JPD, Snorkel, Scott Williamson, Skurka, Trauma, Nimblewill Nomad, Billy Goat, Yogi, Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    When your food weighs more than your clothes, bed, and home combined.

When you can smell a clean person 50 yards away.
    When clean people can smell you 50 yards away

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

We went to a new, large grocery store a couple of months ago near our house, and I found my wife/hiking partner standing stock still, frozen, in front of an end-cap display of those little round flat breads. We ate them every day on our LT thru last summer, and it was apparently bringing back some good memories.

+1 on knowing lots of people without having any idea of their legal names.

You know you're a long distance hiker when you say something like, "well, it's only 50 miles" when contemplating another section or long weekend hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

You know you're a long distance hiker when you say something like, "well, it's only 50 miles" when contemplating another section or long weekend hike.
    +
    Ive had some take issue with my claim that a 40 mile hike was an "overnighter"

...when you crap in your pants, and you tell yourself eff it I'm almost done for the day anyway, and keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    when you don't know your pack weight, don't care what day or time it is, don't know which town your stopping in and you don't know how many miles you walked
    Plus one n that Karl.........................

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I am officially not a long distance hiker.

I can tell you what my weight will be day by day as consumables diminish, can tell you where I will be will be at any given time within a mile or 2, don't stop in towns, and have my mileage planned out before I step foot on the trail.

I think this list should be filed under preferences. I have OCD and prefer it that way.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

You're regularly seen mowing the lawn, changing the oil in the car, and weeding the garden in spent $150 trail runners and $80 Icebreaker tees.

You're "luggage" when you travel is also always a backpack even on suit and tie biz trips and you see nothing wrong with that.

When offered the comfy bed to sleep at your relative's house you opt for the floor and say "no thanks" to their offer of a comforter saying you brought your sleeping bag or quilt.

When running low on food to prepare for some unexpected visitors you somewhat reluctantly hit up your high cal/oz ratio hiker food stash to serve.

When few know you by anything other than a trail name and some long time hiking friends you still don't know their full legal name.

When you know what JMT, BMT, AT, PCT, CDT, CT, LT, AZT, HDT, PNWT, fp, CF, Ti, WP, WR, 1p, 2p, denier, dyneema, vibram all stand for.

When you've bought at least one precision digital scale and regularly take it to all outfitters. You also check advertised gear wts with all actual as delivered gear wts.

Okay..I guess I'm an aspiring long distance hiker
    Well except for voluntarily sleeping on the floor...
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cobble View Post
    -When you use Tinder to meet people its cuz you helped start their fire..
    -You know your base weight to the ounce but don't know the day of the week.
    -The bears are truly more afraid of you, than you of them.

help me out folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cobble View Post
    Okay..I guess I'm an aspiring long distance hiker
    Well except for voluntarily sleeping on the floor...
    What makes a joke list like this work is that they have to be stingingly truthful while not being wholly applicable to other pursuits -- as in Dogwood's posts. Its funny because he's done it and its true.

Here is one from the museum world that was sent to me, that makes me laugh every time because it is so true.

As a former museum employee I now feel safe in unleashing to the world these definitions based in my experience in the museum community. We are all guilty of some of these. Hopefully you will all be slightly offended by some of them. Enjoy. Feel free to pass along to anyone who won't prevent me from being hired after grad school.

1. Historian – People who think they would have been real cool 400 years ago who if they traveled back in time would be made fun of by the great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents of the cool people today.

2. Artifacts – things museum educators say you should touch, curators say you should never touch, and development officers say you can touch…if the price is right.

3. Orientation Videos – Spielberg-esque Cliff Notes of facts visitors didn’t pay attention to in high school in the vain hope that they will ask good questions.

4. Visitor – An unenlightened intruder who thinks their $15 admission fee entitles them to interrupt conversations about one’s favorite 15th century field piece. Armed with cameras instead of muskets, these “aliens” are unable to initiate proper “first person” try as they may. Found of such greetings as “Ahoy matey” and “Howdy” instead of the period “correct” “good morrow kind sir” and “good day gentle lass”.

5. Cool Visitor – A rare species of the general public who may or may not be “cooler” than the regular visitor who happens to ask about an museum employees’ pet topic. Referenced many days/months, even years after the fact to win interpretive arguments about a pet account.

6. Board members – People who truly patronize museums because the more glamorous causes were already taken.

7. Volunteers – People too poor/unimportant to be board members.

8. Marketers – People who got “C’s” in the same subjects that their educator brethren mastered but get paid twice as much to do. Expert coiners of phrases such as “edutainment” and “history is fun” that are mutually exclusive.

9. Management – People who tell their employees how to do things they don’t know how to do. Like the phrase “those that can not do…teach”…those that cannot teach manage.

10. Director – Those that cannot manage…direct.

11. Security – Museum employees whose interest in militaria is thoroughly an unapologetically modern. Fans of “Solder of Fortune” and Michael Chiklis television dramas whose job is to ensure that people don’t steal things they wouldn’t possibly wish to steal.

12. Tour Guides – A breed of museum employee who takes sadistic pleasure in keeping people out in the sun/rain for over two hours. These nerdy survivalists either can’t fathom that they are boring or are trying to ensure a lack of enthusiasm for history in future generations for job security.

13. House Docents –Elitist tour guides, docents are people who are experts on all of the “period” décor that would not have actually been in the room at the time.

14. Reenactors – people who complain about the historical inaccuracies in a movie except for the 5 minutes his/her elbow is in the film

15. Interpreters – an elitist “mercenary” of the reenacting world. People who get paid to do what their brethren in the hobby would do for free (only because those people are too weird to be hired).

16. Interpretation – The art of telling people more than they would ever wish to know about a given subject. Not known to occur between 4:50-5:00 PM.

17. Accounts – Obscure primary sources that interpreters/educators/tour guides reference during mini dissertations with the public used to justify the wearing of anachronistic clothing/ period activity/story telling that makes one look cooler than their coworkers.

18. First Person – The art of being able to authentically talk like people who would have gotten their ass kicked 300 years ago.

19. Third Person – The art of being able to authentically talk like people who get their ass kicked in the present day.

20. Costumes – Things museum people wear. The more people try to make them look less dorky, the dorkier they make people look.

21. Retro-sexual – A straight male interpreter, who ironically is shabbily dressed when off-duty, whose costumed sartorial dash and non-stop on-duty banter about period buttons and concerns over a tunic making his “butt look too big” sounds “really gay” to the unenlightened.

22. Period Mack – A conversation initiated by a male living historian who is hitting on a female living historian or “reenactress”…usually the most attractive “reeactress” on site. Whether this person is attractive in “real life” is irrelevant. Conversations are peppered with accounts about period buttons and invitations to period balls. Used to justify a living historian isn’t too “retro-sexual”.

23. Hostage Taking – The art of talking about a piece of fence/hard tack/weapon for over ten minutes. This form of education is a clever way to ensure coworkers will never receive the glory of talking to a “cool visitor”.

24. Inquisition – A higher form of hostage taking where the speaker seemingly “converts” the visitor to his/her pet account or dissertation. In reality the hostage agrees with the points merely to get away.

25. Misfire – An event that inevitably occurs during a gun demonstration when one has kept tourists out in the sun/rain/wind/hail/snow too long. Scientifically known as a “projectile dysfunction” and just as embarrassing as that name implies.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

Your family finally accepts that you really are ok with sleeping in the yard when guest rooms are all taken.

When you say, "let's just walk, it's only ? miles away"

The neighbors have finally accepted that maybe you aren't having marriage problems every time a storm blows through. (Gear testing and sleeping in the side yard).

You pass a coworker in public and get an eye roll until you wave and say hi. Then they are embarrassed for not recognizing you. They proceed to further embarrass themselves by mumbling something about not thinking you were "that type". Why? Bc I'm in a suit and heels most days?

The hubby has just learned to roll with my incessant need for movement.

The hubby has learned not to be bothered by people calling my hobby dangerous.

Looking at all instant rice/noodle packets on every grocery trip.

Having an odd assortment of bandanas and knowing the purpose of each one.

Choosing your breed of dog for their hiking abilities. (I have an Australian shepherd/mutt)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

When you've learned to ensure your mother in law's rants about how it's "not safe for a young girl" to roam the woods all the time.

You look at containers at a grocery store not for their contents, but rather for what they can be repurposed for.

Wait a sec. That belongs in a "you know you are a gram weenie when you" thread.

Journal Entries

Either way BirdBrain! Those half gallon milk jug sinks...

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I've finally got my mom in on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by plexusbritt View Post
    When you've learned to ensure your mother in law's rants about how it's "not safe for a young girl" to roam the woods all the time.

When you have more bins full of hiking gear, food, and socks than you do normal daily attire

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++