WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campsites along Jennings Creek (VA)

I know there's a road crossing here, but thought I'd ask: how are the campsites along Jennings Creek? We are planning a 17 mile day to get to this area, and the AWOL guide just says "campsites and swimming hole." Was hoping that this area isn't TOO much of a local hang out.

Thanks

My brother and I stopped there in July when we were sectioning in that area and it was extremely hot. Great place to swim and cool off but there were 2 local girls and 1 local guy swimming there also, but they were very nice and fun to talk with. There are some spots to camp off in the woods even though there's signs indicating no camping close to the parking area.

The site (which is also called Panther Ford) is a pretty heavy spot for locals, but less so outside of the core summer months. Then again, it only takes one group of partiers to potentially ruin a peaceful night, and with easy road access, there is a chance of that any given night. What has changed the tide of partiers is the fact that the Forest Service has clamped down on camping significantly in the last few years. As Falcon mentioned, there are no camping signs posted at the several spots, including at the head of the trail from which most of the campsites can be accessed. In general, the USFS has banned camping within 100 yards of Va. 614 and Va. 618, but with the no camping signs posted all around, a ranger may extend that rule broadly in that immediate area. Since the signs have gone up, I have started camping on top of the next small ridge going northbound. Even with some overgrowth you can probably squeeze in two or three tents and be perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    The site (which is also called Panther Ford) is a pretty heavy spot for locals, but less so outside of the core summer months. Then again, it only takes one group of partiers to potentially ruin a peaceful night, and with easy road access, there is a chance of that any given night. What has changed the tide of partiers is the fact that the Forest Service has clamped down on camping significantly in the last few years. As Falcon mentioned, there are no camping signs posted at the several spots, including at the head of the trail from which most of the campsites can be accessed. In general, the USFS has banned camping within 100 yards of Va. 614 and Va. 618, but with the no camping signs posted all around, a ranger may extend that rule broadly in that immediate area. Since the signs have gone up, I have started camping on top of the next small ridge going northbound. Even with some overgrowth you can probably squeeze in two or three tents and be perfectly legal.
    We hiked from Daleville to James River this past weekend, and ended up staying here the second night (Sunday night). There is a huge, open area near the creek that some locals had already set up at; we pretty much did what you described and found a site about 0.15 miles north of the road on the AT. We walked back down to soak our feet in the creek, and a massive Queen Snake ran over our feet and almost bit us! Close call...

FWIW, we definitely DO NOT advise doing what we did the next day - go from Jennings Creek to Harrison Ground Spring (17.3 miles) - in one day. Some of the most UPs anywhere in the Southern AT!

++ New Posts ++