WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have done a very similar day hike in the opposite direction although I started on the Easton side of the mountain rather than Franconia Notch. The ascent up the North Kinsman is quite similar from either side of the ridge although Cascade Brook trail is bit longer. Unlike many folks I prefer going down steep stuff and wanted to get the hard mileage done early. It took me around 10 hours with daypack. I had stashed a bike in Kinsman Notch and slowly biked back to my car at the Mt Kinsman trailhead. As noted there are lots of PUDS after descending South Kinsman. A note about the south face of South Kinsman. Its relentlessly steep with about a half mile of near vertical boulder climbing. The AT down the north face of Moosilaukee (Beaver Brook Trail) is steeper but most Nobos are descending it so the climb up South Kinsman is a NOBOs first real introduction to white mountains trails. The climb up Glencliff trail on the south side of Mooosilaukee has far more vertical gain but compared to the south face of South Kinsman its far easier.

Images

I plan on slacking this section by staying at the Notch hostel at the tail end of a trip from Killington to Franconia next month. Gotta say I'm a little worried I can do it in the 10 hour window they give you between drop off and pick up. I guess we just do the best we can and if we have to pay them to come pick us up later in the evening then so be it. I don't think we will have a problem making it but just in the allotted time. Anyone done this with the Notch hostel?
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Default Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch in a day?

It's doable if you are young, fast, nimble, and in good shape. This is a very tough section, IMO.

The Notch leaves the Hostel at 7:30, then drops you off 0.7 mile from the trail. That's as close as they can get. So you won't get started on the trail until after 8:00am.

Be careful not to overestimate your mileage in the Whites.
    Last edited by Deacon; 08-21-2017 at 12:07.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    It's doable if you are young, fast, nimble, and in good shape. This is a very tough section, IMO.

The Notch leaves the Hostel at 7:30, then drops you off 0.7 mile from the trail. That's as close as they can get. So you won't get started on the trail until after 8:00am.

Be careful not to overestimate your mileage in the Whites.
    Thanks Deacon, we have done Franconia to Gorham with full pack weight and did 11 -14 miles per day. That's why I figure we can slack the 16 but like you said with the extra .7 and with their timetable I'm worried about making the pickup time. We will see I guess.

I'd think twice about slacking this section. What are your backup plans if its just plain too tough? And you will not be able to stop where ever you drop since the Whites have very strict rules and regs about where you camp. At the least plan on carrying more than minimal gear to carry you thru the night if you just can't make it. Walking in the dark might be very treacherous on those steep parts. And what parts of the whites aren't steep?
    Mama Llama

I slacked it, took a little over 8 hours. We were pretty beat afterwards and we're thrilled to get back into town, but it almost seemed like a waste of a hotel room because we got back later than we wanted too and we were so tired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I slacked it, took a little over 8 hours. We were pretty beat afterwards and we're thrilled to get back into town, but it almost seemed like a waste of a hotel room because we got back later than we wanted too and we were so tired
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just back from New Hampshire and I am happy to report that we made the slack across Kinsman. It was definitely difficult and took 9 1/2 hours but it is doable. I'm not sure I could do it with a full pack on and glad I didn't have to. The climb on the south side of Kinsman was as hard as anything else I saw in the Whites in my opinion. Beautiful and underestimated part of the Whites if you ask me.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Just back from New Hampshire and I am happy to report that we made the slack across Kinsman. It was definitely difficult and took 9 1/2 hours but it is doable. I'm not sure I could do it with a full pack on and glad I didn't have to. The climb on the south side of Kinsman was as hard as anything else I saw in the Whites in my opinion. Beautiful and underestimated part of the Whites if you ask me.
    Have you climbed Katahdin yet? Just wondering how it compares.

We slacked hut-to-hut SOBO from Pinkham to Franconia last year, and will be back up there in 2018/2019 to finish up NH. I think we'll probably try to slack the Kinsman to Franconia section, but it will definitely be a stretch for us. We'll need more than 9.5 hours. We'll have to start before dawn and like pkinnetz said a couple posts up the page, we'll have to carry more than minimal gear just in case.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post

We slacked hut-to-hut SOBO from Pinkham to Franconia last year, and will be back up there in 2018/2019 to finish up NH. I think we'll probably try to slack the Kinsman to Franconia section, but it will definitely be a stretch for us. We'll need more than 9.5 hours. We'll have to start before dawn and like pkinnetz said a couple posts up the page, we'll have to carry more than minimal gear just in case.
    I have not climbed Katahdin (saving that for last) so I cannot offer you any comparisons. Just my opinion but if you slack Kinsman I would recommend doing it south to north as I would rather climb that south side rather than descend it. Also, it's more total elevation gain doing it from north to south.

We pushed all day but didn't kill ourselves. Took 30 minutes for lunch and a few breaks to take in the views.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    I have not climbed Katahdin (saving that for last) so I cannot offer you any comparisons. Just my opinion but if you slack Kinsman I would recommend doing it south to north as I would rather climb that south side rather than descend it. Also, it's more total elevation gain doing it from north to south.

We pushed all day but didn't kill ourselves. Took 30 minutes for lunch and a few breaks to take in the views.
    Yes, I plan on heeding advice from this thread and doing it NOBO. For the same reason, we'll go over Moosilauke SOBO. Going up Katahdin was a challenge, but coming down is what wore me out. Strange but true.

Yes, I plan on heeding advice from this thread and doing it NOBO. For the same reason, we'll go over Moosilauke SOBO. Going up Katahdin was a challenge, but coming down is what wore me out. Strange but true.
    Its not so strange. The descents are what usually wipe me out, no matter the trail. I can usually pace myself going uphill. Going downhill, I’m fighting gravity and the natural inclination to lean forward.

IMO, Katahdin is a little more difficult. However, the hard part on Katahdin can be climbed in just 2 - 2.5 hours. From KSC, it’s about 4 hours to the summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    IMO, Katahdin is a little more difficult. However, the hard part on Katahdin can be climbed in just 2 - 2.5 hours. From KSC, it’s about 4 hours to the summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you for the reply. Helps us know what we're signing up for.

You don't say what 20 mile segment you did on the LT. Some 20 mile LT segments are considerably more strenuous than others. Some LT segments a much faster pace can be established.

Take your care establishing your footwork on that 16 mile White Mts slack pack. It can be slippery. It will be a decent challenge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The NOBO ascent of South Kinsman is one of the steepest climbs I recall anywhere on the AT. I'm talking about the climb that begins a few miles north of Eliza Brook shelter. Fortunately the super-steep bit is only a thousand feet or so of vertical. I did it eons ago, with an external frame pack and at least 40 lbs. of load. Ugh.

And then there's Beaver Brook Trail, the NOBO descent off Moosilauke. Be especially careful if it's wet. I'd hesitate to call it "dangerous" as I've done it a number of times. But yeah, you'll want to take it slow and pay attention.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The NOBO ascent of South Kinsman is one of the steepest climbs I recall anywhere on the AT. I'm talking about the climb that begins a few miles north of Eliza Brook shelter. Fortunately the super-steep bit is only a thousand feet or so of vertical. I did it eons ago, with an external frame pack and at least 40 lbs. of load. Ugh.
    And then there's Beaver Brook Trail, the NOBO descent off Moosilauke. Be especially careful if it's wet. I'd hesitate to call it "dangerous" as I've done it a number of times. But yeah, you'll want to take it slow and pay attention.
    I was curious, so I pulled out my AT Guide to have a look. Moosilauke doesn't surprise me. I've seen pictures, I know it's a beast.

But I hadn't really looked at the elevation profile for the S Kinsman climb - until now. I'm puzzled. The profile of S Kinsman looks kinda ordinary by White Mtn standards, not easy (nothing in NH is easy) but not so different from going over Lafayette or Washington. What makes it different? Of course, I've learned not to trust the elevation profiles. They're useful, but they tell a lot of lies. Maybe this is one of them? Eliza Brook Shelter to S Kinsman is 2.5 miles. So where is this climb that "begins a few miles north of [EB] shelter"? Is it the 1-mile stretch from Harrington Pond to S Kinsman?

As I recall, there's a moderate uphill leaving EB shelter, and even a flat section with a marsh/pond to the left (northbound.) The steep stuff begins north of that marsh.

What makes it different is that it's all rock scrambling, over open rock faces.

I must confess it was a very long time ago. It was late in the day, I'd started from Kinsman Notch, and I was carrying a very heavy pack.

Even so -- it's not just my hazy memory. My ancient "Philosophers Guide" has a specific and amusing warning about that particular ascent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    As I recall, there's a moderate uphill leaving EB shelter, and even a flat section with a marsh/pond to the left (northbound.) The steep stuff begins north of that marsh.

What makes it different is that it's all rock scrambling, over open rock faces.

I must confess it was a very long time ago. It was late in the day, I'd started from Kinsman Notch, and I was carrying a very heavy pack.

Even so -- it's not just my hazy memory. My ancient "Philosophers Guide" has a specific and amusing warning about that particular ascent.
    the climb of south kinsman going nobo caught me off guard too and i also found it surprisingly difficult, though in a fun way.

my memory of it from about 7 years ago, and probably part of the reason it doesnt look that bad on the profile, is that basically theres a straight up vertical section thats probably only 200 feet or so of elevation. it likely doesnt show on a profile at the scale the maps are printed at. you can not get up it without using your hands extensively, and if i recall correctly there is no rebar or anything of the sort to assist.

I guess I am weird, I like going down the steep stuff rather than going up it plus getting it out of the way early in the hike is my preference.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I guess I am weird, I like going down the steep stuff rather than going up it plus getting it out of the way early in the hike is my preference.
    I'd prefer to get it out of the way earlier. But when it comes to a seriously steep section where you need to use your hands to climb, I like to see where I'm going. No eyes on my feet, so up it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++