WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Inflatable sleeping pad causing lower back soreness.

Currently have a Nemo Astro insulated pad. Very warm and comfortable, though I seem to wake up with a sore lower back every time I use it. No pre-existing back problems, my back is perfectly fine otherwise. I am mostly a stomach and occasional side sleeper. I have tried all different levels of inflation to try to find a "sweet spot" as far as the back issues go. No luck. I am assuming it is from the pad sinking a bit in the middle as I lay on it creating an arch in my back. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it likely I will run into the same issue with every inflatable I try? Do you think I would have better luck with a foam pad (those look so uncomfortable though, ugh!)? Any recommendations for a new sleeping pad to try that may help me? Thanks.

Hmm, I don't have that problem. I'm a side sleeper and usually keep my pad inflated just enough to keep my hip from touching the ground.

See if you can try one of the new sea to summit comfort plus pads out. While it's not the lightest, it uses a novel design. There are two air chambers and a construction prevents the waterbed effect some air mattresses have. I was skeptical at first, but it works.

I have both the Nemo and Sea to Summit pads, FYI.

You can probably rent a decent pad from EMS to try out for a night or weekend for only a few bucks. That way you can see if it helps your particular issue or not before you spend real money. I think its worth a shot to try, my back doesn't need much to feel bad, even a small swale in a bed is enough to give me problems in the morning.

I've had all sorts of lower back spasms and cramps sleeping on my Thermarest pads and the discomfort comes and goes. Stick with it longer and you'll probably find they disappear as mysteriously as they occur. If you can't do a long trip to test this, try sleeping outside every night on your inflatable and give a full report after about 30 days.

Journal Entries

You could try out different ground formations to sleep on, or place things under the mat in sections to boost it up. I find that I need a concave (bowl like) or flat to sleep in or I wake with pain with convex surface.

Images

Try a hammock. It worked for me.

could it be where you're setting up camp?

I know my back hurts as I have back issues, but its not from my pad its from all the walking I've done for the day. I take some Vitamin-I and go to sleep
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Hmm, I don't have that problem. I'm a side sleeper and usually keep my pad inflated just enough to keep my hip from touching the ground.

See if you can try one of the new sea to summit comfort plus pads out. While it's not the lightest, it uses a novel design. There are two air chambers and a construction prevents the waterbed effect some air mattresses have. I was skeptical at first, but it works.

I have both the Nemo and Sea to Summit pads, FYI.
    I tried a Klymit Static V this year. It has air chambers that run diagonally, also supposed to help. It replaced my NeoAir Trekker from last year. It was OK, but I'm always tossing and turning at night when camping. Maybe someday I will find the perfect pad. I think I will have a closet full of them when I'm finished. It's hard to sell the used pads since (unlike other used gear) these have permanent perspiration and blood stains on them. Anyone want to buy a stained NeoAir Trekker Pad (wide-torso length)?

One more time. Two weeks + and counting on my NeoAir Xterm Large. No aches. No pains. Never late for work due to lack of sleep. No noise either.
    I'm older than dirt too. I know about bad beds and bad pillows causing aches and pains.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have switched to an EE quilt a couple of years ago. Combined with a BA Q-core SL in 25" width. The 3.5" depth is good for side sleeping and the quilted design makes for a comfortable night. BA has a great Customer service policy. I sent a field repaired insulated air core back to them for a "professional" repair, they sent me a new mattress, no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    One more time. Two weeks + and counting on my NeoAir Xterm Large. No aches. No pains. Never late for work due to lack of sleep. No noise either.
    I'm older than dirt too. I know about bad beds and bad pillows causing aches and pains.

Wayne

I ended up spending 2 continuous months on the Xtherm large + Exped Air Pillow combination. No negative impact.
    Last Saturday night/Sunday morning I finally got a chance to use my new sleep system outside and in temperatures the system was meant for.
    WM Alpinlite + Xtherm + 4 season single wall tent. Clear sky. Wind calm. Bottom land mixed forest. Merino zip-T top and bottoms, light merino socks, light fleece cycling helmet liner. I crawled into the tent at 9:30 pm and 34 F degrees. I crawled out of the tent the next morning at 6:30 am and 26 F degrees. My best night ever in a tent.
    Hopefully the last week of December will be colder and I can push the system a bit.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm a back and side to side sleeper. I don't have a problem with Thermarest Cascade Designs XLite pads sinking in the middle when fully inflated. I can have back issues going from sleeping on ground hiking to softer mattresses at home which is why tonite I will sleep outside on teh ground on a ZRest CCF pad. At home, even though I have an extremely firm bed mattress I still will turn it over and sleep on the harder side. People at home think I'm a mutant. Maybe, they r right.

Going back to what Starchild mentioned, it could just be the conditions in which you are using your pad. Try it at home (overnight) on a known level surface, like indooors. Still have a problem, then yes its probably the pad. If not, it's your surface you're choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Try a hammock. It worked for me.
    Lots of us hammock campers just can't take the ground anymore.

Images

Could be the fact that that sleeping on you stomach is notoriously bad for your back and causes low back strain.

Perhaps the bed you normally sleep on is worn and contoured enough that it does not cause this strain, but the backpacking pad, on the relatively flat ground does not contour, so causes the pain.

As someone who used to stomach sleep in their teens and twenties, and suffered fairly severe back problems later in life (like mid to late 30's), my suggestion would be to try to change your sleep habits now.

I am not a stomach sleeper, side to side and back, but you might try to change the contour of your pad by placing a pack or a clothes bundle under the pad in various locations.

Ultralight Designs, http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro.../sleeping.html , has an inflatable pillow that might work well. I use it as a side sleeper, it's very light, durable and packs up very small. I roll it into my BA pad.

Just don't lose the straw to inflate/deflate.

Hosh has a good point about stuffing things around, the rare times I sleep on my stomach I frequently wind up putting a hand or two under my stomach!

I'm a side sleeper, and I have found that deflating my pad to the point I start to sink into it is counterproductive. It SEEMS more cushy, but I reached the same conclusion as you, my pad was sinking in the middle and bending my back. I now keep it almost entirely inflated and don't mess around with partial inflation, which has the added bonus of maximum insulation.

Now that I think about it, there was one night where I slept on a pad that had "debonded" from the foam inside. Essentially I was draped over a huge bubble. It was really comfortable. (The problem was, I had to focus to stay balanced on top of the bubble, so no sleep!) So, that lends extra credence to the comments about concave vs. convex sleeping spots.

++ New Posts ++