WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pillows

Default Pillows

Does anyone make maybe inflatable pillows? Might be a nice luxury item

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Several...

Sea-to-Summit: http://www.rei.com/b/sea-to-summit/c...ows%3Bb&page=1
    Exped: http://www.campsaver.com/search/?key...ped+Air+Pillow

I own the Exped Air Pillow UL. I like the width/height of the Medium size... but as a side-sleeper, I needed the thickness of the Large, but the width/height is TOO big.
    I have seen the Sea-to-Summit Premium on display. I like the "velvet-like" surface, but it is heavier than the Exped UL.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-02-2015 at 17:36.

I have tried 2, i ended up waking up with my head on the ground both pillows
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

A pillow is an item where weight is secondary. You need to be able to sleep. If a your shoes or clothes will suffice, then by all means save the weight. If you are like many, find what works and take that (regardless of weight). For me (after so many iterations that I have lost count), I settled on an Exped pillow pump wrapped in my fleece. Finally, oh my goodness finally, found something that works..... for me.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

+1 on the Exped air pillow.I have the "heavy" one @4 ozs.Got mine from Ebay for a little over $30.The lighter one is about 2 ozs.Mine works great.I've got my gear dialed in and don't want to use a stuff sack with rain gear or jacket.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    +1 on the Exped air pillow.I have the "heavy" one @4 ozs.Got mine from Ebay for a little over $30.The lighter one is about 2 ozs.Mine works great.I've got my gear dialed in and don't want to use a stuff sack with rain gear or jacket.
    Interesting. I own the Exped Red large pillow. 3 ounces in the stuff sack. From REI. < $30. I don't do eBay. Or Amazon.
    Great pillow.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Mine is none of the above. It is a pillow "pump". I inflate my exped pad with it and then use pillow pump as a pillow. Not sure what it weighs. I paid somewhere around $10 for mine on eBay. OCD will force me to find the real figure and edit this post later.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Mine is none of the above. It is a pillow "pump". I inflate my exped pad with it and then use pillow pump as a pillow. Not sure what it weighs. I paid somewhere around $10 for mine on eBay. OCD will force me to find the real figure and edit this post later.
    A name or model would also be helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    A name or model would also be helpful. Thanks.
    This one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXPED-PILLOW...item463eb3bf80

I paid $20 for mine on eBay (searched purchases on my eBay page). It was a "buy it now" or "best offer". I offered $20 and got it. I am not saying it will work for anyone else. It works for me. I recommend going to a sporting store and trying the display model out. I wasted a lot of money until I found my happy pillow. You have to find a pillow that works. It has to work. Weight and cost are secondary. Every item I carry is scrutinized under 4 tests.

1) Do I need it? If the answer is no, I leave it home. I need a pillow. Not everyone does.
    2) Is it functional? A pillow has to be functional. If it won't let me sleep, it is useless.
    3) Is it as light as it can be? If all things are equal, I get the lighter one. If it weight 5lbs and was the only one that worked, I would carry it.
    4) Can I afford it? I am yet to see a pillow that would be too expensive if it was the only one that worked. It is possible to spend a bunch of money finding the right one.

Don't screw around with a pillow. Find one that works, buy it, and carry it. Actually, do what you want. It is up to the person who carries it.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 09-03-2015 at 03:14.

Klymit makes some. I got one as a gift and will be trying it out this weekend. Up until now, I've used children's inflatable water wings (modified) and extra clothes in a stiff sack. We'll see how the inflatable works.

Images

I have the Expend. I'll use it by placing the inflated pillow into my clothes bag for something that comes much closer to a real pillow.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

I just used the Sea to Summit Aeros ultra light pillow this weekend. With my clothes bag underneath it raised my head and neck. I slept better than I have before. It folds down into its small stuff sack.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Walmart sells a "Travel Pillow" made by Mainstays for about $3 and it only weighs about 3 ounces. And they also sell a zippered pillow case for it for another few bucks. The older I get the less I seem to be able to tolerate sleeping on the ground. In the past I always just balled up any extra clothing I had and used that for a pillow but the last couple years I've taken this pillow with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Walmart sells a "Travel Pillow" made by Mainstays for about $3 and it only weighs about 3 ounces. And they also sell a zippered pillow case for it for another few bucks. The older I get the less I seem to be able to tolerate sleeping on the ground. In the past I always just balled up any extra clothing I had and used that for a pillow but the last couple years I've taken this pillow with me.
    That is an excellent pillow. That was the only other pillow that worked for me. All things being equal (not quite equal, but equal enough) I went with the light and smaller choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Looks pretty impressive. I love my Thermarest Compressible, but the small still weighs in at 7 ounces, and I haven't been able to find anything that weighs less but is so comfortable. How well does it compress/come back to life for packing purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    Looks pretty impressive. I love my Thermarest Compressible, but the small still weighs in at 7 ounces, and I haven't been able to find anything that weighs less but is so comfortable. How well does it compress/come back to life for packing purposes?
    It does not compress much. It is that fact that makes it so comfortable. It is also why I sought another option. It took up too much room in the pack. It was the most comfortable option I found. What I settled on works and takes up much less room in my pack.

The way I usually pack my pack is to roll up my foam sleeping pad and put it in the pack vertically and then let it unravel itself so there is a tube in the middle...this keeps stuff from getting wet as a side benefit...I then stuff the pillow to the bottom of that and then stuff my sleeping bag in on top of that and then top the whole thing off with my food bag which is plastic. The tent is strapped to the outside of my pack. So the pillow doesn't have to compress much, but as Birdbrain said its pretty firm for its small size and weight.

I figured out that I could use my inflated (and empty) Camelback water reservoir as a pillow about 2000 miles into my hike...doh... Anyway, it works pretty well.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

I have completely given up on pillows. If it's not one thing, it's another. I have broad shoulders and I'm a side sleeper. I need the lift of the pillow or else I'll have a stiff neck and be miserable. I have tried 6 or 7 different pillows that side sleepers have recommended, and have come to the conclusion that I must have abnormally broad shoulders because nothing works. About the best I can do is use an Exped Large and then a stuff sack packed full of clothes on top of that.

I've been very tempted to take a traditional pillow I use at home, chop it in half, re-sew it and take it with me, but I'm concerned about the sanitation aspect of it.

Skinny, narrow side sleeper here. I have the red Exped large pillow. To get the right height required too much air making the pillow hard. My solution: I place a 1 1/2" Thermarest Stadium Seat under the pillow. I get the right height with less air and no neck or shoulder pain. When I'm not sleeping, I sit on the pad.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++