Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default PCT Class of 2016

Greetings!

Out of curiosity who else is prepping for a thru next year? Hope to see you out on the trail!

ps... I am totally taking the dancing banana with me...

Images

I'm hoping! But a lot has to fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobble View Post
    Greetings!

Out of curiosity who else is prepping for a thru next year? Hope to see you out on the trail!

i will be heading out around April 8th from Springer. Cant freaking wait!

Quote Originally Posted by susiegear View Post
    i will be heading out around April 8th from Springer. Cant freaking wait!
    Just noticed that this is for the PCT. That will be in 2017 for me

GAME 06

I'm planning on either the PCT or CDT. Going to hike the AZT (starting in 3 days) as a tune up to see if the wheels will stay on and then make up my mind on next year depending on what kind of snows are brought to us by the big El Nino we are getting. If the PCT is snowed in then the CDT or vice versa.

Having studied up a lot on the El Nino weather patterns (which are not really so much patterns) there is no way to know what is going to happen. So Cal could be buried or the San Juans, but not likely both. If both I guess it is sobo on one of them and something else in the spring (Hayduke!)

I'll be leaving in mid-late April. See ya out there

Finally convinced the Wife to head out with me. Quitting the job in January, Skiing for a couple months on the cheap, and then heading NOBO mid Aprilish depending on the snowpack.

So excited! Been dreaming of this for 12 years!

Im really wanting to do this however i think I'm a little late on starting to plan for a 2016 trip. I've heard planing up to 8 months in advance.

Quit the AT SoBo early this year to save enough money to comfortably hike the PCT in '16. Got most of my gear together so far, working on a resupply plan (buying as I go, mostly) and putting in 40 hour work weeks with no complaints, knowing that my 30th birthday present to myself will be setting out from Campo in early May!

jbourisaw- It is not too late, not by a long shot. I for one think less planning is actually better, it allows you to see things through new eyes.

See this: http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trail...ng-on-the-pct/, namely "Hybrid Strategy" section. Pick out towns where you want to buy food and mail it ahead to smaller towns. If you have your gear, and some sort of long distance travel (hiking/biking/canoeing/etc) background, and you want it badly, that's enough.

However, if you're new to backpacking, or think not having a year to plan would negatively impact your trip, wait. But you always run the chance of something coming up next year, and the year after that, and after that, and maybe you'll never get around to it.

If you want it enough, you still have plenty of time to pick up gear, go on a two night backpacking trip, then a week long backpacking trip, and then reassess if you truly love backpacking enough to do it for a few months. If you choose your resupply strategy wisely then there's not too much more you have to do from there

Journal Entries

I will begin late, due to job, maybe early May. Busy getting ready.

Yes I will be hiking NOBO starting at Springer and beginning March 1st, 2016. Female hiker going solo. Any other gals out there going?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobble View Post
    Greetings!

Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

lol I did the same thing! Thought it was for the AT and just saw it was for the PCT. Doing that in 2017 too!

Quote Originally Posted by susiegear View Post
    Just noticed that this is for the PCT. That will be in 2017 for me
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Arrrrrgh..I'm an idiot I should have put PCT in the title! Let me see if I can get a moderator to edit the thread title...
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Quote Originally Posted by jj442434 View Post
    jbourisaw- It is not too late, not by a long shot. I for one think less planning is actually better, it allows you to see things through new eyes.

See this: http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trail...ng-on-the-pct/, namely "Hybrid Strategy" section. Pick out towns where you want to buy food and mail it ahead to smaller towns. If you have your gear, and some sort of long distance travel (hiking/biking/canoeing/etc) background, and you want it badly, that's enough.

However, if you're new to backpacking, or think not having a year to plan would negatively impact your trip, wait. But you always run the chance of something coming up next year, and the year after that, and after that, and maybe you'll never get around to it.

If you want it enough, you still have plenty of time to pick up gear, go on a two night backpacking trip, then a week long backpacking trip, and then reassess if you truly love backpacking enough to do it for a few months. If you choose your resupply strategy wisely then there's not too much more you have to do from there

I'm new "ish" my work at the moment prevents me from doing multi day trips at the moment but I'm fully capable of doing 20 miles in a day. Ive been doing it in the Missouri humidity all summer. I'm working on doing the Missouri portion of the Ozark trail in ether October or November which is roughly 230 miles and just got back from Norway a few weeks ago and did a couple long hikes at higher altitudes and did very well(was more in to the scenery then anything lol) A lot of it is just personal hurtles and financial hurtles to jump through before hand.

I was planning my first through hike on the AT for 2016, but after a lot of consideration I would rather hike on the west coast. I cant think of any place I wouldn't want to see on the PCT and really cant wait to hike in Yosemite.

I need to loose another 30 pounds and get up to 20 MPD without my pack. Those are just my goals. Also need to save the rest of the money which is a PITA. I think if I can work on those two things, everything else for the hike should fall into place.

Hi guys,
    after doing the camino frances and the camino del norte ( St. James Ways in Spain) last year and this year - I'm planing to do the PCT in 2016 ... but still a lot to read and plan

tschiwi/germany

In order to clean up this thread here is a compilation so far (sorry for errors)

Good luck as we start long range planning...finances, research, major equipment purchases, recruiting followers/supporters...so freaking excited!

Snapranger
    Karma13 ?
    Wyoming (PCT or CDT)
    Jj442434
    jBourosaw
    LeanThree
    Changed
    Denimlabels
    Tschiwi
    Cobble
    Last edited by Cobble; 09-11-2015 at 10:53.
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Images

I'm excited, too, Cobble! I'm already training. Although things (money) can fall in either direction, my assumption is that I'll be out there. I'm working as though that's the case, anyway. I was originally planning for 2015, so I'm pretty much good to go. And given how the trail was this year, I'm actually happier that I had to postpone until 2016 (fingers crossed).

I will be starting a NOBO trek of the PCT sometime towards the end of April. I completed a SOBO hike of the CT this summer and had an amazing time.

T minus 7 months and a few days and counting...........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++