Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I'm hoping to hike it nobo, but have I'm just now researching. I've hiked 1300 on the AT & hiked the JMT in 13' & 14'. I really have no idea when to start? Sounds like mid April to late May? But more importantly what small guide book to carry. I don't normally carry maps while long distance hiking, so I'm hoping to find a book like the AT guide that I can carry that has water distances and towns/resupply options. Any suggestions? I love "Eric the Blacks" JMT pocket atlas & would love to carry something like that for the PCT if one is available? What is everyone planning on carrying for your guide book?
    I'll be using Yogi's guide and Guthook's and Halfmile's apps.

Anyone here planning a pct sobo hike for 2016?

Images

Today was the day I received the document I was waiting for and now I can say I am ready for NOBO PCT Thru in 2016. Now it is official for me. Starting early April. Three years of anticipation is finally over.(insert "sigh of relief emoticon" here please)!!

Trail name: Either Persia( guess what,,, I am originally Persian) or ICU which I stands for Iran, C stands and honors Canada ( the country I've lived and loved for the last 10 years) and U in honor of USA that has created such a great opportunity for hikers like me.

let's hope 2016 would be a great thru hiking year for all the prospectors.

Looking to start early to mid April from Campo. I know it's early, but I've scheduled time off before entering the High Sierra. I'll probably leave my AT trail name at home and use my given name.

Saying "howdy" to prospects for 2016, PCT nobo mid-April. Hope to get a ride to Campo from Redlands in the 14th-17th range depending on permits, logistics, etc. A very understanding wife has given me her blessing for an attempt, as a Christmas present Saw the good news that the Saufleys intend to be re-opening there place in Aqua Dulce!

I'm not doing a thru but last summer hiked the Sierra section from Donner Pass to Walker Pass and this year plan to hike from the Mexican border to Walker starting probably in mid-April and then in late summer go from Donner to Stevenson, WA.

Money is set aside. Time is set aside. Most of the gear is already owned, a few things left to buy. Just waiting for the day to tell my Boss to go pound sand. About to register and put in permits this coming week. Toes in the sand around april 27th.

Money is set aside. Time is set aside. Most of the gear is already owned, a few things left to buy. Just waiting for the day to tell my Boss to go pound sand. About to register and put in permits this coming week. Toes in the sand around april 27th.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ATAdam View Post
    I don't think you can submit your permit till early feb. for PCT thruhikers. I think they prefer the same for the application for admission into Canada .
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

April 27th is my start date from Campo. Some travel time, and a short break from reality in Colorado before the trail. Good luck to you.
    I'm in the final stretch. Sorting out a few last pieces of gear, and starting to plan food mailers.

I'll be southbounding, unless the Cascade snow conditions require serious mountaineering skills/experience.

I am. You too?

Quote Originally Posted by KathyD View Post
    I'll be southbounding, unless the Cascade snow conditions require serious mountaineering skills/experience.
    Supposedly it is supposed to be a big snow year. Is they can predict it this early. I am hoping to start my sobo hike july 20th (or close to it)
    But I am still bringing in the cash to make that possible.
    When are you planning to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Neemor View Post
    Supposedly it is supposed to be a big snow year. Is they can predict it this early. I am hoping to start my sobo hike july 20th (or close to it)
    But I am still bringing in the cash to make that possible.
    When are you planning to start?
    As early in July as possible, I don't have any other commitments affecting my start date. I'll be monitoring the snow report. I've heard conflicting opinions/wisdom about WA snow fall. For example, a few people have mentioned that if there's a lot of snow in the Sierras, there will be less in the Cascades. If in March it's looking like a record snow year in the Cascades (like 2011) I'll probably NOBO.

Further south, but Snoqualmie pass saw 15 feet of snow in December which was the most in 66 years.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Starting to count the days! Hoping to leave Campo April 20th (permit pending). Any other flatlanders heading out this year to climb some mountains?

I'm currently in the midst of planning a 2016 thru now too! Hope to see you there!

I see several people picked April 27th..Its interesting because its the date I selected thinking fewer hikers would start midweek.

Geomaniac:

Huh, yeh...trying to figure the bid?

I picked the 15th because that's when I can get a ride before my brother heads to Whistler for his last blast. I was thinking the 15th is possibly 10 days (or more?) too early this year. Next date range was 25-28th but logistics were working agin' me. I was thinking too that maybe I'd beat the herd, but looks like I'm right in the middle of it. whaaatevvver...it is what it is. Got a date, looking forward to the wee jaunt and meeting some cool folks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++