WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What can you ethically do to a shelter snorer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Tin Man has a very healthy approach here. I am a snorin' fool myself and I always try to keep myself away from others at sleep time. In the Smokys shelter habitation is required unless one is walking all the way through. When I find myself in this situation, I generally warn those around about my tendancy to saw the log and tell them to coax me to turn over on my belly if it gets to be a problem. Seems to work long enough to give them a shot at REM sleep. Remember everyone: we did not choose to be snorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin

In any case, the answer to your question is that it's perfectly OK to gently wake up a snorer; just try not to wake up everyone else in the process. And if he starts sawing away again, then wake him up again. Most people that snore KNOW that they snore, so if they had any consideration at all, they wouldn't even be in the shelter in the first place, so I see no problem with rousing them.
    Can it Jack, then you wont have to keep repeating yourself.

So snorers should sleep in the woods at all times? What about hostels Jack? They can only visit during the daytime? Sleep on the deck? What if they out number light sleepers?

If one has a problem sleeping near others on a trail as popular as the AT, perhaps they need to adjust. Earplugs?

Shelters are first come, first served - period. Let the buyer beware. Carry earplugs or a tent if you don't like snoring.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Shelters are first come, first served - period. Let the buyer beware. Carry earplugs or a tent if you don't like snoring.
    Exactly. Sometimes Jack reminds me of a "whining liberal."

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Because He hiked 8 times..

he draws the lines..

(re: johnny cash thread )
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

SMS, when it comes to this issue, we should alll have your "problem." Snoring? I didn't hear any snoring.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    SMS, when it comes to this issue, we should alll have your "problem." Snoring? I didn't hear any snoring.

OH the HEARING problem ..not that OTHER problem
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

The A.T. doesn't belong to thru-hikers, no matter how many times they have done it. They have no more rights than someone out for an overnighter or day hike.
    Sometimes I stay in shelters, sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if I snore but suspect that I do at least sometimes. It really doesn't bother me if others snore. My Dad snored so loud when I was a kid that I grew immune to the sound of it. It actually is a little comforting to me when I hear a snore like my Dad's, who has been dead 21 years. I agree with what some others are saying:
    - If you know that you snore, sleep in your tent if you can. If the weather is bad and you want to stay in the shelter, let your shelter mates know that you snore. Maybe even carry a few pairs of those sponge ear plugs to pass out.
    - The shelter is first come, first served. If you are going to sleep in a shelter, learn to deal with all that it includes (mice, snoring, rookies, greenhorns, etc.)
    - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    If you are going to sleep in a shelter, learn to deal with all that it includes (mice, snoring, rookies, greenhorns, etc.)
    I hate it when those rookies and greenhorns go out in the woods and spoil it for the rest of us! Oops, wait a minute, I think we all had to be rookies and greenhorns at one point!

Default Hey pack a bone...

...I see you're now following SMS around from thread to thread.

And, BTW, you're giving out *****ty advice...Maybe even carry a few pairs of those sponge ear plugs to pass out....sponge ear plugs only work for people who are already deaf. Even the solid ones can't stop the loud snorers from ruining other's sleep. Try'n be a little more sensative.

Oh yeah, this... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....never thought of that

And you're wrong about thru-hikers they have more rights...we're all beat up and tired while those pussy day hikers can afford to lose a night's sleep...please think before you post.

Skeemer, you're FOS! Thru-hikers ain't s**t!

Default Lone Wolfy...

...you're just pissed because one of the choices was'nt "pull out your pistol and blow the mf away.

No need to. I don't stay in those dirty ass mouse infested boxes.

Images

Actually LWolf would use the snoring as a cover for the noise he would make as he sneaks up and burns it down.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't see snoring as some sort of character flaw. Its not about being rude or impolite, its about restricted airflow. Big deal.

What I don't really understand why it is that so many folks would hesitate to politely, and respectfully wake up the person who is snoring.

Were I sawing wood loudly, I would not begrudge one of the half dozen or so people I was disturbing to tell me to roll over.

And to do so directly. No need to shake the bunk we were sharing or make a sharp noise that you can pretend you didn't make. No reason to get up noisily to protect you food against a phantom critter that was after your food (even though this can be an effective tactic insofar as mention of a bear will keep some snorers awake for hours), or to "accidentally" drop you light by my hear after a trip to the outhouse. No , just wake me up. If you snore some night, I'll return the favor.

I think it would be better for everyone if it was understood that its OK to wake someone up who is snoring. And its OK to be woken up. Repeatedly, if needed.

What's the big deal? Why suffer in silence?

Images

I was already set up in a shelter once when a couple of guys showed up. One of them announced that he snores loudly, and then handed out packages of brand-new earplugs to everyone else in the shelter.

But, in general, I agree that tents and especially hammocks are the best option.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Hey Sly, lighten up. And try reading my post again. I made it very clear (in fact I said it twice) that since snoring comes with the territory, that folks that are particularly sensitive to it would do best to avoid shelters.

On the other hand, it is indeed true that people who have a snoring problem always know it, and as a courtesy to others, they'd do well to avoid shelters whenever possible.

Nobody has a right to engage in behavior that prevents others from getting badly needed rest; if someone is snoring loudly, it's perfectly OK to gently wake them up.

Why you find this opinion so objectionable is a mystery to me.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    Tents and tarps are great when you don't need one (ie. when its not raining).
    I thought you carry a shelter to well..shelter you from rain and snow.

Shelters can be nice in really bad weather. But, I don't like camping with 15 of my closest hiking buddies! If you want a good night's sleep, tent/tarp/hammock it.

Shelters are noisy, dirty and uncomfortable.

YMMV.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Ethically, you can't do anything to the snoring hiker. It's just as impolite of you to wake them up as it is for them to keep you awake. Snoring hikers are a risk you take when you share a public shelter. You have no "right" to silence at night any more than the snorer has control over his/her snoring. Especially on public lands in the wilderness! Do you expect the wildlife to remain quiet when you're asleep? No coyote howls or owl hoots? If it'll bother you, bring earplugs, tent elsewhere, or cope.

I'm sure I snore a bit, but once in a while, not every night. What am I supposed to do? Tell everyone at the shelter there's a 10% chance I'll snore tonight?

Images

GA law doesn't allow the unauthorized touching of one human being to another, in GA this is known as SIMPLE BATTERY, (not to be confused with AAA batteries ) so it is against GA law to gently wake another human.

also by waking the snorer, if not by touching them (which in GA is against the law), then U would have to make a louder sound than the snorer, thereby possibly waking additional folks who were not awakened the snorer, so ethcially there is nothing U can do about a snorer.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++