WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Asolo Fugitive Boots defects

I've had several pairs of the Asolo Fugitives, wearing a pair or two into throwaway condition. I ordered a couple pair of Asolos on ebay over the winter, have been using the Fugitives from time to time but noticed the sole was separating, so I went to a cobbler who glued the front of both boots which held for a while. Now I notice the whole sole is separating like they have dry rot. Has anyone else here had that problem and will Asolo do anything cheap without the receipt? It seems to be manufacturer defect.

For a while Asolo had a run with some weak adhesive, but that was several years ago at this point so I doubt there would be any recourse given they are several years out of warrantee.

That said, it really depends on how old the footwear is and how how worn the tread is (the manufacturer can approximate the level of use that way). Asolo is a very good name in the market, most retailers will take them back, even if its slightly over the warranty period for things like this. If you got them at REI or other major outfitter, they will probably have a record of your sale if you have an ID or Member Number in their system so a receipt may not be needed. Otherwise you can find a retailer locally that handles Asolo boots and see if you can get the regional rep's contact information and go right to the source. Without the receipt however, it may be a reach especially if the footwear is several years from its purchase date.

Sorry to hear that,I have the same boots.I would think they would stand behind their product .
    I know when I went looking for gear that was one of my hardest decisions was boots. Dang it was confusing. Those aren't cheap either
    Footwear is very important.
    Let us know how you make out

I spoke with a major seller of the Asolo boots, and they said that they required lots of documentation and less than a year old to honor their product guarantees; I contacted the guy who sold them to me on ebay, and he refunded me some of the repair fees, I just hope they hold together now. They could be several years old, bought from a gear seller on ebay as used, but I doubt the seller was the original owner.

Frustratingly, the biggest issue with a warranty claim of soles coming off is that most often, boots with soles coming loose have been inappropriately overheated, being held next to a fire or other heater. Glue is heat sensitive, and many people ignorantly overheat their boots either trying to get their feet warm or trying to dry out their boots more quickly, or trying to melt was waterproofing treatment into leather.

Good luck
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

If you have a problem with your Asolo boots, take a couple pics of them and post them on the internet with the appropriate negative comments. Let the world know about the company's quality control or lack of it. My Asolos 520s delaminated only after a couple years of use and I got steamed so I posted this pic in my trail journal. (Fixed it myself at home using McNett's Freesole glue).

Just a reminder, one of the reasons to buy from a reputable outfitter is that they stand behind their products. REI, for instance, provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material or workmanship on everything they sell even if the manufacturer does not offer such a generous policy. Taking a boot like the one pictured above back to REI would be a no-brainer defect, and you would get your money back, even if it really was your fault for over heating the boots at some point in their life.

L L Bean as well. Read their guarantee online. No fine print or legalese.
    "Guaranteed not to wear out."
    Works for me.
    That said, I've never seen or heard of Norwegian welted boots failing like glued boots.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That said, I've never seen or heard of Norwegian welted boots failing like glued boots.

Wayne

This is old news but I had a pair of Limmer lightweight boots with the sewn welts and the welt threads ripped after a year of usage and the soles detached. Since I was on a trip and had some McNett's seamgrip glue, I squirted in a bunch to hold the sole together and when I got back I called Karl or one of the Limmers and he hinted that they may have used unwaxed thread on that batch.

I sent them to New Hampshire to be fixed and I think the glue I squirted in voided the warranty as I had to pay $90 for the repair (the inside heel leathers also ripped which they fixed). A decent company would've sent me a new pair of boots no questions asked.

Funny thing is, 2 weeks after I got the fixed boots this happened:

Here are the Limmers after repair.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Frustratingly, the biggest issue with a warranty claim of soles coming off is that most often, boots with soles coming loose have been inappropriately overheated, being held next to a fire or other heater. Glue is heat sensitive, and many people ignorantly overheat their boots either trying to get their feet warm or trying to dry out their boots more quickly, or trying to melt was waterproofing treatment into leather.

Good luck
    Glue ages and gets weak

I had a pair of Limmers heavyweight style that had the base separate from the main body of the boots after about 70 miles going south on the Long Trail from the Canadian border. They did not offer to cover anything though they were basically new.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Just a reminder, one of the reasons to buy from a reputable outfitter is that they stand behind their products. REI, for instance, provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material or workmanship on everything they sell even if the manufacturer does not offer such a generous policy. Taking a boot like the one pictured above back to REI would be a no-brainer defect, and you would get your money back, even if it really was your fault for over heating the boots at some point in their life.
    REI abandoned the lifetime guarantee policy this year. It's a one-year guarantee now, going forward. Goods purchased before the policy change are still covered under the old lifetime policy.

Too many people were abusing the policy to get free replacements for worn-out gear that didn't owe them anything.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Glue ages and gets weak

If you have to resort to a do-it-yourself emergency boot repair, try some Goop Adhesive. This stuff is incredibly strong and flexible It comes in different varieties, including one for shoes. They have a 2-ounce tube that can go into your pack.

I fixed the delaminated sole on my wife's sneakers with this stuff and I used it to glue some broken bathroom floor tiles. The sneakers are still holding up and the tiles haven't moved in 12 years!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 09-09-2015 at 16:35.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    REI abandoned the lifetime guarantee policy this year.
    NO! Absolutely not true.

REI abandoned it's lifetime unconditional satisfaction guarantee in early 2014 because it was being badly abused.

REI still fully supports every product it sells against defects in material or workmanship for a reasonable life of the product (i.e. not completely worn out stuff) regardless of the manufactures guarantee.

See this for details if it is still unclear.

I have heard of people abusing the LL Bean guarantees, scrounging LL Bean stuff that is thrown away and getting a gift certificate for the full amount as if it had been theirs. Frankly no merino socks last forever but if I had to pay $20 for a pair, and they only last a couple years I will look to get the free replacements.

I save all my receipts. Bean has my purchase history going way back. No scamming from me.
    I've heard the garage sale finds/refund scams story too. Similar scams caused REI to change some of their policies.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    I have heard of people abusing the LL Bean guarantees, scrounging LL Bean stuff that is thrown away and getting a gift certificate for the full amount as if it had been theirs. Frankly no merino socks last forever but if I had to pay $20 for a pair, and they only last a couple years I will look to get the free replacements.
    It really depends on what level of use the socks have. If you hike 300 miles in two years I too would expect the socks to last longer, if 1200 miles were hiked in two years, I'd say you got your money's worth.

I was speaking with one of my sisters earlier who said getting LL Bean to honor their guarantee was "dishonest". I went through all the arguments on this one, she sells Good Will and thrift shop designer clothing and flips them for 5X the purchase so she isn't exactly an example of doing good. But it comes down to the contract. http://www.llbean.com/customerServic...guarantee.html You can buy merino wool socks at Costco for 3 pairs for $10, so that is a better option if the other companies are charging a lot and don't back their products.

LATEST ASOLO FUGITIVE UPDATE

I have to add my latest experience with shoddy Asolo quality control---

I bought my latest pair of Fugitives in June 2015 and on a September backpacking trip noticed this rip in the seam. I got 3 measly months of use before these pieces of crap failed. My most mature and final opinion? AVOID ALL ASOLO BOOTS.

Now going with the Zamberlan brand so wish me luck.

Images

I've had Zamberlan boots for about 3 years and they have been fine. In all fairness, I only wear them in winter opting for trail shoes in summer.
    I'll be interested to see how they hold up for you as I know you'll put more miles on your boots in only a couple of trips than I have in the entire time I've had them.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++