WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Approach to Springer Question

6 of us are planning to do a section hike in October. Originally we were going to park at Amicalola and hike the approach trail to Springer and take 3 days to get to Woody Gap. The more I have read and thought about it, it might be more enjoyable to park off USFS 42 and use our 3 days to make it as far as Neels Gap. Better Scenery?

If so, how is parking on USFS 42? Safe to leave a car there for 3 days?
    Can you leave a car at Neels Gap?

Images

I would leave my car at the USFS 42 parking lot for 3 days. At Neels Gap, there is a "memorial" parking lot a quarter-mile north. The name escapes me now. I have left a car there, also. Unless things have changed, you can not park a car at Mountain Crossings (Neels Gap outfitter) itself.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Here are my suggestions and info:
    I would start at Neel's and go southbound and end at Amicalola Visitor Center.

Parking
    Neel's Gap-There is no parking allowed here. There is a parking area about .5 miles down from Neel's Gap called Byron Reece Memorial Trailhead

****NOTE****
    This is a wonderful place to park BUT-Follow that parking laws, if you park in an undesignated spot you WILL get a ticket or towed. The parking is for probably 50 cars and most of it is parallel parking. There are spots that look like you could park a car that are not parking spaces.

I state this because this trailhead is at the base of blood mountain and fills up quickly.

USFS42-Good safe clean parking here lots of parking space

Approach- If done southbound it is a much more accessible spot to get to then USFS 42(USFS is on gravel and about 10 miles from main road).

I would see it as safer and logistically a time saver to go from Neel's to Amicalola VS

Say hello to Springer for me have a great trip

My trip report for this section

Parked at Byron Reece hiked SoBo
    Night 1-Gooch Mountain Shelter (tented)
    Night 2-Tented on Springer behind shelter
    Day 3-Approach Trail to VS
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Byron Reece Memorial Trail has overnight parking at Neel Gap. Overnight parking is not allowed at Mountain Crossings.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I regret not having seen or climbed the falls. On the bucket list.

The approach is a lovely hike, and the summit seems better when you actually climb the thing rather than just stumbling onto it from the north.

Images

I'll second what others have said about Neels. I called Mountain Crossings, and they said if you're going to hike there, you need to park in the lot 1/4 mile away. They don't have enough space during busy times to accommodate regular customers' AND hikers' cars.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

IMHO, If you only have 3 days, then Springer to Neels will yield more in terms of views, creeks, etc. than going from Amicalola to Woody. The section from Woody to Neels has several good high points, not to mention Blood Mountain and avoids spending a day on the Approach trail which has virtually no views and is largely pine forest. I'm not saying you should never do the Approach trail, only that if you have to choose, I would go for Neels.

I've done this section NOBO and SOBO and I probably prefer it SOBO.

I would say absolutely park at USFS 42! We did the same hike SOBO this Spring and I wished we had parked there instead of having to take the whole approach trail to be done.

Save AFSP for a time when you want to take the time to enjoy it (it really is beautiful.).

The Byron Reese parking lot is at the base of the Reese trail. The Byron Reese trail exits the back of the lot, clearly marked, and hits the AT .7 of a mile later. From the crossing you are 1.3 miles from the Blood Mountain Shelter. This is to me the more enjoyable way of reaching the AT from the parking lot. Otherwise you need to do a bad road walk, almost a half mile but it seems longer, to Mountain Crossing and then go about a mile on the AT to reach the Reese/AT crossing. The approach trail is OK but I would not do it at the expense of missing any section of the AT between Springer and Blood.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

++ New Posts ++