WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Only on my non- binary days. ( sorry, couldn't resist either.... )

What was the old duck hunting for??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bellamy View Post
    Joe Namath was famous for wearing pantyhose during the winter games. In case you don't know who Joe Namath is, he was the quarterback of the New York Jets, champions of Super Bowl 3. He can now be seen doing medicare commercials in late afternoon.
    I think it was his commercial for "Beautymist" panty hose that he was famous for, there are no references to his playing games wearing pantyhose though the legend of that commercial has spread that direction over time. I recall the commercial at the time and how it quickly became the talk of the sports world. This short blurb explains it.

"In 1974, Super Bowl MVP and New York Jets quarterback Joe Namath shaved his legs and put on Hanes Beautymist pantyhose for a national commercial. “Now, I don’t wear pantyhose," Broadway Joe said in the TV spot. “But if Beautymist can make my legs look good, imagine what they’ll do for yours.” The commercial was considered risqué and controversial at the time, but sales of Beautymist pantyhose skyrocketed, and Namath became an in-demand spokesman."

As trivia goes, this one is a pretty good way to winning a few bucks at the bar!

Last week, I hiked in 30* wearing mid-weight tights under hiking pants and my legs were cold. Today, I hiked in 27* so added a pair of pantyhose and my legs stayed warm. Conditions and trails weren’t the same…last week there was snow on the ground and very little elevation change but in both cases, wind wasn’t a factor.

Unfortunately, what I gained in warmth was lost in freedom of movement. Three layers is too restrictive…four if you count underwear.

I suspect lots of elevation change makes a big difference (esp. on the "gain" side), but any differential in breathability of the material (tights vs pantyhose) might factor in as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++