WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm in support, not "hose," but of the silk option. I've used silk in the past for both base layer in cold temps and as sleep wear to increase rating of the bag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

So what kind of undies is a guy supposed to wear under pantyhose?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So what kind of undies is a guy supposed to wear under pantyhose?
    The well dressed trail enthusiast will have silk under pantyhose of course.

Men, save the pantyhose for the bank.

For the trail, bring a woman wearing pantyhose. Much warmer that way,

Datto

Wore them on really long marches in the Army, but not to stay warm. Wear them under your wool socks, as they will help prevent hot spots and blisters. The nylons reduce the friction, and because it is a relatively loose knit, it allows the wool to wick away the moisture build up. Only got made fun of the first time, but at the end of 25 miles in full battle rattle plus my PRC-119D (38 pounds alone) and no blisters, that ended pretty quickly. Feasibility on a thru-hike? No idea. Probably best for a day or section hike.

It seems pantyhose have morphed into leggings, which are very popular with the ladies these days. Not sure if they make them for men, but I guess those are called "long johns".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In the 80's we called them racing tights. I usually wore mine under a pair of shorts for modesty. They are still available for both men and women. Its like a thicker base layer made of spandex and polyester. The leggings my wife has are mostly made of cotton.

I remember long ago Jack Nicklaus said that golfers wore them all the time on cold windy days during the early part of the season.

But this was before silk base layers were available
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

At one point, my husband refereed lacrosse. On a particularly raw, wet, and windy early spring New England day, before base layers were a "thing", I suggested to the refs on the field, all men, that they consider wearing panty hose underneath their shorts. No one said a word, but the looks I got were priceless.
    Last edited by tiptoe; 01-28-2021 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    my father wore them because of ticks. at least that's what he told my mom when she found them in the glove box.
    He was telling the TRUTH as I knew a forester who used them back when we were over run with deer and little seed ticks.Of course I am assuming your dad spent time outdoors or she would have never bot the story.

I remember being told about panty hose in Boy Scouts when I was young, probably about 1976. I remember trying it then. What a bunch of hooey!
    For me, I've never found either panty hose or the super thin running tights to make much difference for me. In fact, they generally make me feel colder even if that feeling is a sensory illusion. On the other hand I find mid-weight and heavier weight tights and long-johns quite effective.

I think this whole thing is a big myth propagated either by guys that like to rationalize their desire to wear women's underwear or like to think about other guys doing so. Either way is fine by me. Heck, I encourage it. More of us should indulge more often in what makes us happy . . . like backpacking while wearing whatever goofy tights, kilts, running shorts, knickers, knee-high socks, or nothing that puts that special smile on our faces.

HYOH!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by susiegear View Post
    Hello, a few years ago when I worked in construction a few of us found that pantyhose were great for keeping warm. I know........guys wearing pantyhose. have any of you tried this? it seems like a great lightweight alternative for hiking in cooler temps. thoughts? Thanks!

"Susie"
    Ok I worked construction as a plumber all my life, back when it got cold really cold all winter long and I've never known anyone to wear pantyhose to keep warm! (Carhartt yes) .

Susie? Susiegear?? A man????

Knee high liner socks get the job done for me and they never "run".

Joe Namath was famous for wearing pantyhose during the winter games. In case you don't know who Joe Namath is, he was the quarterback of the New York Jets, champions of Super Bowl 3. He can now be seen doing medicare commercials in late afternoon.

One alternative is to use some polyester long underwear. Certain design considerations make it much more convenient when it's time to irrigate the vegetation or write your initials in the snow.

"Only ever wore them once, dark green, one cold night back home in the English winter....
    My excuse was that a group of us were heading out for a fancy dress party and I thought I made a fine Robin Hood. Not too sure why as I don't remember ever seeing Robin Hood in a pair of tights but there you have it, it was the seventies, an early start on the 'green movement' perhaps?!
    After a few bevvies, ( lots of beer), we made a quick stop on the highway at a truck stop for some grub. So much for my get-up, a trucker peered over at me and blurted out, " Peter Pan, right"??!!"

So Hoofit, being from England...you missed the movie?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 12-28-2021 at 13:30.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Although it is very hard getting the pantyhose on the duck legs

Images

For me it started when i was in the Army Keeping warm in the winter, then it was great for keeping the ticks off in the summer. Now days it is silk to keep a little warmer, they just seem to be more durable too.
    sooner or later there comes a time

Quote Originally Posted by Gravytrain View Post
    Wore them on really long marches in the Army, but not to stay warm. Wear them under your wool socks, as they will help prevent hot spots and blisters. The nylons reduce the friction, and because it is a relatively loose knit, it allows the wool to wick away the moisture build up. Only got made fun of the first time, but at the end of 25 miles in full battle rattle plus my PRC-119D (38 pounds alone) and no blisters, that ended pretty quickly. Feasibility on a thru-hike? No idea. Probably best for a day or section hike.
    Could probably do the same idea with dress socks that are non-cotton, to give the same effect of preventing friction between the wool socks and your skin.

Personally,I don't wear them because they make my butt look big!(sorry,couldn't resist....)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++