WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Camp Ground

Default Camp Ground

Can anyone suggest where to find a camping area or trail in PA, for a family of 5 with two tents and a dog, where there won't be any RVs or campers around? I'd like to do a day hike in, camp a night or two and then hike out. I would like to sightsee have a good view of the stars at night and possibly do some extra activities if possible. But the main thing that I want my kids to experience is not hearing air conditioning units in campers and RVs running with loud crowds who call themselves "campers". Sorry trying not to be snooty but it's what I'm looking for....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look into Allegheny National Forest. There is a dam there with a large lake. They do have developed campsites there, but dispersed camping is permitted. There is a lot to do there. Check out the areas called Jake's Rocks and Rimrock.

The Allegheny river below the dam is a nice canoe camping trip, with trip options of up to several days. It's a flat water trip. There are cottages along one side most of the way. Resupply of ice and food is available in Warren. There are several wide flat wooded islands, part of the national park, to camp on along the way, some of them with campsites out of view of cottages. Last time I was there, the largest island had a privy. Great beginner trip for scouts, families, and dogs. Wish I was there today. Allegheny Outfitters shuttles and rents canoes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check the PA DCNR site: http://dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/staythenight/camping/index.htm . Some sites are backpack only. Two in western PA are the Quebec Run Wild Area and John Saylor trails. Closer to Lancaster, MD may also have some sites.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

How about locating your general area and then looking into any Boy/Girl Scout Summer Camps? Used to be, many would allow family camping in the "off" seasons.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

For a listing of permitted campsites within Pa.'s STATE FORESTS, go to http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...ping/index.htm . The Bureau of Forestry has recently begun to develop motorized sites at selected locations within the various state forest tracts, and several of them are not that far from the Lancaster area. There are no dump sites, very often there is no developed water source, and sanitation is of the "dig-your-own-cat-hole" type. The permits are free, but you MUST obtain one from the District Forester's Office, where they will also be able to show you maps of the locations of these sites. When BMECC reconstructed the Rausch Gap Shelter (on SGL 211), the Bureau provided the trees for this project in a co-operative effort with the ATC and BMECC. The location of these trees (which the club harvested after the Bureau marked them for us) was near one of the nicest remote campsites that I've seen in a long time. A picnic table, a fire ring, and a level parking space was all that was provided, and the site was right in the middle of one of the tracts of the Weiser State Forest. Access was via a dirt road, so be sure that your tires and your suspension are in good shape.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure exactly what you are looking for when you say awar from campers, but to my reading that means the ones with wheels-- and I expect everyone's definition of crowds is different.

That said, if you are looking for a drive-in campsite you might want to consider the Delaware Water Gap. There are drive-in campground on both on the PA an NJ side. Just 2 or 3 hours from Lancaster.

My memory fades, but we car camped on the NJ side once and the drive-in site was very nice, and the tent sites were well separated from the RV area. Again, not sure of the exact CG but I did a Google and think it was here:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...mp-photos.html

As an added bonus, there was very easy access to the AT, albeit in a rather well-travelled by day hiker section, and we could put in a canoe right from the site. There are similar places on th PA side of the river but I don't know them.

Here is a photo of our campsite.

If you look close in the top photo you will see a black bear's butt sticking out my car window. it is standing next to my car in th second shot. Some campers at the site next to mine were kind enough to send me the snapshots-- we were hiking up to Sumfish Pond (AT) when the break in occurred.

image.jpg

++ New Posts ++