WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Gear List -- CT NEBO Thru

Hello all, I recently posted a thread in the Colorado Trail subforum, but I think it will get more attention here.

Would you mind looking over my gear list for a 2016 thru-hike of the Colorado Trail?

You can see it here [www.bit.ly/1ILUqHI]

Two questions:
    1. Do you think I'll be warm enough with a good base layer, a fleece, and a warm hat? (According to my research, I shouldn't be dealing with temperatures much lower than 40 deg F, and I'll be spending the coldest hours happily asleep in my 30 degree bag.)

2. How do you think I should get lighter? I'd like to be at least under 11 lbs base weight.
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

I did it with a light fleece, but a down sweater or coat would have been nice to have early morning and late nights. Head net for bugs, Trash Compactor bag for your sleeping bag. I would probably lose the maps, if you have the Trail app and the data book. Nalogene is awful heavy.

Journal Entries

You can use a pack like the arc for non UL, but requires short trips.
    Seriously, consider 25-26 lb the absolute highest wt. You are there wit 3.5 days food and 2 L.

What are your longest food and water on CT? Hint, you will cross one long waterless stretch right after a resupply with very full pack going nebo. This area can be a big difference from swbo where you woyld hit it with a nearly empty pack. Some carry 8 days food in this stretch, all the way from Salida. Its possible to resupply partway, but not easy.

You will not enjoy the arc at 33 lbs

I think you can do without sanitizer
    Take much less soap.

For waiting out afternoon thunderstorms, a floorless shelter is nice
    So might be an umbrella
    Puffy like montbell exlight is lighter than fleece
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-16-2015 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    I did it with a light fleece, but a down sweater or coat would have been nice to have early morning and late nights. Head net for bugs, Trash Compactor bag for your sleeping bag. I would probably lose the maps, if you have the Trail app and the data book. [Nalgene] is awful heavy.
    Ok, thanks! I'd like to stay with just my fleece because I already own it (and $$$ doesn't just pop out of nowhere, unfortunately); I'll make sure to test out a baselayer + hiking shirt + fleece combo sometime this fall when it's around 30 or 40 degrees and see how it feels. If that fails, I'll have to make other arrangements:

After doing a little research, I think my best bet (if I get a new jacket) would be to get the Montbell U.L. Thermawrap Jacket. It seems to me that the most popular jacket (at least on the forums here) is the Patagonia Nano Puff, but that weighs almost 12 oz; my fleece weighs a little over 6... that's moving my base weight in the totally wrong direction! The Montbell, by contrast, is much warmer than the fleece (although maybe not quite as warm as the Patagonia) but it weighs only 8.4oz, so it would add only about 60g to my pack if it were to replace my fleece.

For my sleeping bag, I usually go with a waterproof compression sack; that way I never worry about my sleeping bag (and anything in there with it) getting wet or taking up too much space.

For maps, I'm thinking that I'll order Erik the Black's pocket atlas and a one or two other maps. Between the atlas and the app I should be fine for everything on the official trail, but I want the other maps so I can do some of pmags's alternate routes (see next quote). To my knowledge, the area of the alternate route is not covered in the atlas or the app, so I will definitely need other maps. I think I can get by with just this Latitude 40 map instead of TI maps 127, 129, and 130, but I'll have to confirm that. (Hope it works; 1 map rather than 3 sounds good to me!)

Quote Originally Posted by pmags Colorado Trail “End to End” Guide
    Hope Pass: The old Colorado Trail route (and current CDT route) is harder but much more scenic than official CT. At 12540’ the views are breathtaking. Hope Pass is also the literal high point of the Leadville 100 ultramarathon that takes place in mid-August. After coming down Hope Pass, you go right and eventually connect back up to the CT on a dirt road. Or you can do the alternate below… (Use Trails Illustrated Map #127)
    Missouri Gulch: Not too long after Hope Pass, you will go by the historic town of Vicksburg. This town is actually a historic site that has been re-built. Shortly after this town , you will come to a trailhead for Missouri Gulch. This alternate is far prettier than dirt road of the official CT. Much harder, though. This alternate has you surrounded by three 14ers (Missouri, Belford, Oxford) and is an incredible view. If you are into peak bagging, this route is esp. good as the 14ers are easily accessible. The views from up to and at Elk Head Pass are stunning. You follow the trail and connect back to the CT in a valley. (Use Trails Illustrated Maps #127 and #129)

Really, the only reason I like to carry a Nalgene (ONE, no more than that) is because it's dependable (practically indestructible), has a wide mouth (so you don't get drink mix everywhere when you try to put your gatorade powder in it), and it can hold boiling liquids (soup, and warm water to put in your sleeping bag)...
    ...Now that I think about it, I can ditch the Nalgene. I'm packing my fears. If I take even just reasonably good care of a reused plastic bottle, there's no chance it will break or fail on me; even if it did, I'd survive. I don't need it to hold any boiling liquids (at least on this trip), and I can eat soup out of my pot. Any suggestions on what drinks come in a 1L bottle with a nice wide mouth?

----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You can use a pack like the arc for non UL, but requires short trips.
    Seriously, consider 25-26 lb the absolute highest wt. You are there wit 3.5 days food and 2 L.

What are your longest food and water on CT? Hint, you will cross one long waterless stretch right after a resupply with very full pack going nebo. This area can be a big difference from swbo where you [would] hit it with a nearly empty pack. Some carry 8 days food in this stretch, all the way from Salida. Its possible to resupply partway, but not easy.

You will not enjoy the arc at 33 lbs

I think you can do without sanitizer
    Take much less soap.

For waiting out afternoon thunderstorms, a floorless shelter is nice
    So might be an umbrella
    Puffy like montbell exlight is lighter than fleece
    Do you have an Arc? I was going by what ZPacks has on the website (see quote below), but if you feel differently then it's good to hear a "real" opinion on the subject
    Quote Originally Posted by www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml
    We carried a starting weight of about 35 lbs (16 kg) with 9 days of food. The Arc Blast feels "heavy" at that weight, but not terribly uncomfortable. It is ok once in a while. The recommended comfort limit is about 30 lbs (14 kg).
    I've yet to purchase any maps or guidebooks, so I'm unsure what resupply will be exactly like. I have 6.5lbs/3000g as the estimated food weight on my spreadsheet; that isn't too low, is it? Although, to be honest, I can't remember for the life of me where I pulled that number from

Without sanitizer? But I'm lazy, I don't want to have to wash my hands with soap and water every time nature calls! ...Actually; hm, I'll have to think about that one.

Is campsuds easy to come across at resupply? I'd rather not do any mail drops, so I figured that if I use it sparingly then 2-4oz could last me the whole trip.

Waiting out thunderstorms? I'm not a wuss, I'd hike through it
    In all seriousness, I've waited out thunderstorms in the Rockies before; with my rain gear and a good pack cover, it's not unpleasant to just sit under a nice tree (a short one so I don't get struck by lightning) and admire the natural weather. Besides, I'm trying to ditch pack weight, not think of new luxury items. So, umbrella is out. Re: floorless shelter: I feel pretty good sticking with the SMD Lunar Solo for my shelter, as I think it is the lightest shelter at my pricepoint that isn't just a flat tarp (which I might try another day, but I'd rather not for this trip).

I'm considering a puffy; can you look at what I put in response to Ercoupe (directly above) and tell me if I'm on the right track?
    - Thomas Jefferson

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    Do you have an Arc? I was going by what ZPacks has on the website (see quote below), but if you feel differently then it's good to hear a "real" opinion on the subject

I've yet to purchase any maps or guidebooks, so I'm unsure what resupply will be exactly like. I have 6.5lbs/3000g as the estimated food weight on my spreadsheet; that isn't too low, is it? Although, to be honest, I can't remember for the life of me where I pulled that number from

Without sanitizer? But I'm lazy, I don't want to have to wash my hands with soap and water every time nature calls! ...Actually; hm, I'll have to think about that one.

Is campsuds easy to come across at resupply? I'd rather not do any mail drops, so I figured that if I use it sparingly then 2-4oz could last me the whole tripk?
    Yeah, i use an arc blast. Its my honest opinion that 26 lb is upper comfort limit. I wouldnt consider 35 at all. You will find others with the same opinion if you search.

I pretty much wash hands twice per day or so. takes a couple drops soap. A 30 ml dropper lasts a month.

Food wt depends on hiking speed and resupplys. Start planning this.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-16-2015 at 23:21.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yeah, i use an arc blast. Its my honest opinion that 26 lb is upper comfort limit. I wouldnt consider 35 at all. You will find others with the same opinion if you search.

I pretty much wash hands twice per day or so. takes a couple drops soap. A 30 ml dropper lasts a month.

Food wt depends on hiking speed and resupplys. Start planning this.

Thank you for your response! I'll look into what other people think about this weight issue with the Arc Blast, too, like you suggested. I have also been going through my gear much more critically over the past day or two, and I estimate I'll be able to get down to 11 lbs base weight (±half a pound). I'll be able to more accurately judge my food weight once I get a guidebook (I'm planning on ordering Erik the Black's Pocket Atlas pretty soon) and sort out my resupply points. And while I'm not opposed to hiking 20+ miles for a day or two with an uncomfortable pack, I'll definitely want to reduce that likelihood, so thanks for the tip.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Images

Take a look at the Arc Haul. I just got one this summer to replace my aging ULA Circuit. If you search here you'll find my review and some others' comments. I think it's quite comfortable at 30 pounds, which is all I want to carry anyway.

The Montbell down parkas are often on sale, and even at regular price are a good deal (cheaper than Patagonia for sure). The ULA Down Inner Parka is much warmer than a fleece and very light, and the hood is a nice touch. Or else I would take my very light wind shirt to wear over the fleece in camp, and over a base layer while hiking. I find that layer indispensible.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++