WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cobble View Post
    Makes me wonder if carbon fiber spoon is possible...I mean probable...err non-problematic.
    I'm going to wait for the titanium toothbrush, complete with Ti bristles. It may be a little rough on the gums, but any blood loss = weight savings, so its got to be a good thing!

Journal Entries
    Images

Drill holes across the shaft, save some more weight.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Drill holes across the shaft, save some more weight.
    (assuming this is a serious recommendation; if it was a joke then move along, nothing to see here)

I would, but because carbon fiber is more like cloth than a solid, I would have to "finish" all the edges. If I didn't, the whole thing would fray and unravel on me (and also give me some nasty carbon fiber splinters in the gums along the way--ouch!!), and even then probably wouldn't be any lighter than before, with the weight of all the glue I would have to use to seal the edges. It could definitely be lighter though, if I had access to custom-molded carbon fiber production machinery... alas, I do not, so it's as good as it will get until we can 3D print carbon fiber

Although, it was a fun project, and now I get to harass my hiking buddies about having a lighter toothbrush
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    Although, it was a fun project, and now I get to harass my hiking buddies about having a lighter toothbrush
    Won't you be a riot around the campfire.

Why not have your toes amputated to save a few more ounces? The bonus is a smaller boot size which also saves weight.

Yeah...nothing is cooler than bragging about your toothbrush

what are we regressing to Kindergarden?
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Seems like you've earned yourself a trail name--toothbrush--

Those teasing the OP should read point number 3 from the book Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland and write him a letter as well. There is nothing braggadocious or silly about the attempt to find the lightest functional necessity that can be afforded. I would suggest that those that don't see the merit in that pursuit have either hiked very little or are named Tipi Walter (not teasing Tipi and I hope he knows that) or are willfully ignorant of a very common practice. It is okay to not worry about such tiny things. You might have a very lightweight big 3 (or 4 depending on your definition). You might choose to focus on camping over hiking. However, if you don't grasp why some people have a thought process that provokes them to carry a single razor blade wrapped in a homemade sleeve instead of knife, it is likely that you have never hiked any great distance. I find the visceral reactions childish.

I am backing down now. Someone gets on here and talks saving weight and is beat up for it. No class! In all honesty, I like perrymk's suggestions better. However, I like the effort of the OP.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-17-2015 at 10:38.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Those teasing the OP should read point number 3 from the book Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland and write him a letter as well. There is nothing braggadocious or silly about the attempt to find the lightest functional necessity that can be afforded. I would suggest that those that don't see the merit in that pursuit have either hiked very little or are named Tipi Walter (not teasing Tipi and I hope he knows that) or are willfully ignorant of a very common practice. It is okay to not worry about such tiny things. You might have a very lightweight big 3 (or 4 depending on your definition). You might choose to focus on camping over hiking. However, if you don't grasp why some people have a thought process that provokes them to carry a single razor blade wrapped in a homemade sleeve instead of knife, it is likely that you have never hiked any great distance. I find the visceral reactions childish.

I am backing down now. Someone gets on here and talks saving weight and is beat up for it. No class! In all honesty, I like perrymk's suggestions better. However, I like the effort of the OP.
    Said it before and will say it again. You're nothing but a Drama Queen

I think you're being a bit thin-skinned here (but hey, it cuts some weight) fighting someone else's "battle". Granted, some of the ultra lighters go to absurd lengths (I recall a lengthy thread about making UL camp shoes out of duct tape). In this particular case its a lot of time spent on an arguably pretty insignificant item (I weighed my wet toothbrush - see my earlier post in this thread for the hard data). I also wonder how many people are going to have carbon fiber tubing, be it arrows or whatever, lying around.

If your interest is to see how light you can get your pack - rather than actually getting out hiking or backpacking - then reduction in weight itself is the goal and can lead to pretty academic and entertaining discussions. But for people who just want to get out there, their limited free time is probably better spent on the trail than in the basement performing surgery on toothbrushes and prototyping duct tape camp shoes. Its really the same thing that comes up in Walmart vs. cottage maker gear discussions. You can argue the fine points ad infinitum, but the truth is that for the majority of hikers, it just doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Offshore; 08-17-2015 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I think you're being a bit thin-skinned here (but hey, it cuts some weight) fighting someone else's "battle". Granted, some of the ultra lighters go to absurd lengths (I recall a lengthy thread about making UL camp shoes out of duct tape). In this particular case its a lot of time spent on a arguably pretty insignificant item (I weighed my wet toothbrush - see my earlier post in this thread). I also wonder if people are going to have carbon fiber tubing, be it arrows or whatever lying around.

If your interest is to see how light you can get rather than hiking or backpacking, then reduction in weight itself is the goal and it can lead to pretty academic discussions and entertaining projects. But for people who just want to get out there, limited free time is better spent on the trail than in the basement performing surgery on toothbrushes and prototyping duct tape camp shoes. Its really the same thing that comes up in Walmart vs. cottage maker gear discussions. You can argue the fine points ad infinitum, but the truth is that for the majority of hikers, it just doesn't matter.
    I was only reacting to those that suggest he should cut a toe off as well or that his attempts were kindergarten type stuff. Those reactions are over the top. What prompts such statements? I carry what I carry and don't care what others think about that. I am the one carrying it. I don't stress over what other people choose to carry. I might borrow their good ideas. I am always looking for good ideas. There are few wrong ways to do it if it gets you out there. These things are just choices. What works for anyone is the best choice for them. Tipi carries a ton of stuff. I do not think he is wrong for those choices. They are just choices. No big deal. I get out there. I fully grasp why people don't obsess about such things. Most people don't obsess about such things. It is normal to not obsess about such things. Some of us like to tinker. Certainly hiking is much more rewarding. Attacking someone's idea is uncalled for. He was not saying other people are wrong. He is just sharing. That should provoke a logical discussion of pros and cons. It should not provoke statements that basically call him an idiot. Don't do what he has done. No one thinks anyone is horribly wrong for carrying a full sized toothbrush or not worrying about the few grams they can save. Why do people think those that want to tinker in this way deserve ridicule? I don't even know the person who suggested the idea. I have no horse in the race. I just don't see the upside of calling someone's idea stupid. Don't do it. Provide a better option. Be constructive.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Calm down everyone. I know it's a ridiculous pursuit, but I thought it was rather humorous.

Just remember to HYOH
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow. I'm going to try to go back to just lurking here.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I was only reacting to those that suggest he should cut a toe off as well or that his attempts were kindergarten type stuff.
    Actually I was suggesting he cut all of them off to save more weight. What purpose do toes serve anyway? Another weight saving idea is to shave your head. Don't know how much hair weighs but every gram counts.

Relax man, just kidding around.

I think it's great. Once completed I'll finally start brushing my teeth again when in the woods, instead of using box wine as mouthwash.

Images

I enjoyed the project of OP. I am sure he had fun doing it and the joy was even more rewarding than the weight he saved.

I think it is not a bad idea to have a sub-forum for any attempt to save weight and this sub-forum by definition would be immune from "anti wight savers" or "extreme jokers" that cross the joking boundary to ridiculing someone's attempts to share a simple fun and harmless idea. Like what we have for "Dogs on AT".

Ps: Not that this" Dogs on AT" is immune from "anti dog on trail" folks but at least it is by definition.

I love your ingenuity! There are always people who can knock your creativity but I think it is awesome! I enjoy figuring out ways to shave grams, as grams add up to ounces and ounces add up to... you get the point. I may go re-visit my dremeled out half tooth brush since carbon is cooler than plastic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    Won't you be a riot around the campfire.

Why not have your toes amputated to save a few more ounces? The bonus is a smaller boot size which also saves weight.
    Reminds me of a jingle:

Brush your teeth with sani-flush
    You don't even need a brush.
    All you do it wipe it on
    One two three your teeth are gone.

Ha ha ha. And speaking of kindergarten stuff, here's a solution whereby you can dispense with the toothbrush itself---

Just eat oatmeal and cheese and think of the weight savings with all 32 teeth gone. No Directions is onto something---the removal of superfluous body parts to achieve a mind-blowing skin-out weight. And leave that toothbrush at home. And toothpaste. And heavy floss.

What I see is someone so enthused about hiking and WB that he took the time to show us his thoughts on ultra lite.
    Show me what you got anytime you feel like it.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

I'll just leave this here.

RADIUS_Originals_large.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    I'll just leave this here.

RADIUS_Originals_large.jpg
    Details. I need details. Specs. Weights. Price. Vender. Durability. Reviews.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++