WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Uber to Amicalola?

I'm a big fan of Uber. I see that Uber has pretty good coverage in Atlanta so I got a fare quote using the app that indicated fare from $58-76 from the North Springs Metro station to Amicalola State Park. Has anyone tried to use Uber to get to the trail? I'm in the early stages of planning a fall section hike starting at the southern terminus and so far Uber, at the low end of the range, appears to be the low bid on a shuttle. Unfortunately the $80 thru hiker special offer is only good during thru hiker season in the spring or it would be the clear winner.

Are shuttlers really charging that much nowadays? In 2002 someone gave me a ride from the bus station in Atlanta to the trailhead for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Are shuttlers really charging that much nowadays? In 2002 someone gave me a ride from the bus station in Atlanta to the trailhead for $20.
    It is over 50 miles one way from North Springs to Amicalola, 100 miles round trip. So I wouldn't expect a shuttle to be that cheap. I still need to contact a number of shuttlers which I'm going to do when I pin down my arrival date. Beauty of Uber is that it requires no planning. Just show up and call for a car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    and in 2002 gas was $1.15-$1.40/gallon...

didnt even think about uber. that might've solved my ride issue. im heading up to neels gap next week!

Images

The shuttle drivers in the Appalachian Trail Conservancy listing below have lots of useful advise that will make your hike more enjoyable. Doubt the Uber driver can say anything to enhance your AT experience.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Shuttle drivers frequently have gas canisters, alcohol for stoves, etc. Or at least know where to get them on the way up.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

I'd say you all got good deals, or I got ripped off. I got a cab from Gainesville to Amicalola Falls SP for something like $50 including tip. That was looong ago.

Journal Entries

I've been reading/hearing that a ride from the Amtrak station in Gainesville GA to Amicalola is $100. I was wondering whether Uber would be less expensive. I would not be starting anytime between March 1 and April 1. I would prefer to start much earlier - say Feb 1 to 15. Beat the crowded shelters / trail and have a little peace on the trail.
    Perhaps though, if the ride could get a return fare from Amicalola, they would be willing to cut it significantly.

My Uber app estimates the fare from North Springs GA MARTA to Amicalola Falls State Park as between $67-89 using UberX. When I tried to check for pickup at the Gainesville Amtrak, the app said no Uber was available there. Be aware that Uber can implement surge pricing of 1.5x, 2x, or worse based on demand so an unpleasant surprise could occur, I suspect more likely if trying to get a ride during peak commute hours. As for my original question as the OP, I never made it on this trip, nor much other fall hiking for that matter. Someday...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Survivor Dave is taking some time off. So thats a big hit. He is referring hikers to:

**For an GREAT shuttler on the AT, BMT, and other North Ga. Trails, please contact Ron Brown at:
    RON'S APPALACHIAN TRAIL SHUTTLES- 706-669-0919

Also contact the GATC they may have some members or know some contacts for shuttles. Even the REI near the metro station may have some info.

I heard some issues with UBER in the Atlanta area, people getting charged twice more than they were quoted.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 11-03-2015 at 08:38.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Haha, let me know how this works out. I was actually toying with the same thing if I get enough uber credits. The shuttles in the list are just too expensive for me, I need either a hitch or a trail angel otherwise.

Images

You can get picked up at the Marta station in Atlanta, shuttled to the Hiker Hostel, spend the night, get breakfast, fuel, and shuttle to Amicalola or Springer for $85. Thru Hiker Special at Hiker Hostel.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

You're not going to be attempting a thru hike, so you shouldn't be taking advantage of any thru hiker specials anyways. Uber would be a good route I'd say, you get a discount on your first ride. Rons shuttle (listed above) is reliable too.
    AT2015 GA-ME

Quote Originally Posted by Pajj View Post
    You're not going to be attempting a thru hike, so you shouldn't be taking advantage of any thru hiker specials anyways. Uber would be a good route I'd say, you get a discount on your first ride. Rons shuttle (listed above) is reliable too.
    Someone should check whether they really intend to restrict this deal to thru hikers. I doubt it. No one knows who will succeed hiking the entire trail.

I never made the trip I wanted to do last fall so can't comment on how Uber would work out. I have used Uber in many places and it works well in general.

You're not going to be attempting a thru hike, so you shouldn't be taking advantage of any thru hiker specials anyways.
    Sounds like you're accusing the guy of attempted fraud (and also just a bit elitist). Isn't it really up to the vendor/service provider to determine if their "specials" apply to lowly section hikers as well as thrus?

I guess people should wear stickers clearly stating whether they are a real thru hiker or not so they get special trail benefits.

Images

You don't have to be a thru hiker to get the Thru-Hiker Special, but I'm not sure if it runs in the fall.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 01-30-2016 at 08:35.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    You don't have to be a thru hiker to get the Thru-Hiker Special, but I'm not sure if it runs in the fall.
    It doesn't. I confirmed that last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    I guess people should wear stickers clearly stating whether they are a real thru hiker or not so they get special trail benefits.
    That's where the green AT luggage tags from the ATC registration come into play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++