WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I'm just chicken.

Some of the posts I quoted to answer did not 'quote'. I hope they make sense.

Can I ask what video you watched? I would like to see it for myself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You cant start midway and go south due to weather and timing
    You would also cross paths with the hordes you want to avoid, only its worse going against flow rather than with them
    I have recommended a variation of this option on other forums. I've section-hiked the entire AT but if I were to thru-hike now, I'd start at Harpers Ferry on the spring equinox and hike south to Springer. Barring injury or an excessive amount of zero days, you should arrive in mid-June. Then flip to Katahdin and hike south to Harpers Ferry. If your time is limited, then give yourself a few weeks and start at Katahdin in early July. But if time is not an issue, then head out to Colorado and spend your time hiking trails, perhaps some 14ers, to stay in shape. Head to Katahdin around August 10 and start hiking south.

I agree that Katahdin is a fitting place to end an AT thruhike but Harpers Ferry ranks high up there too, for its history, the HQ of the ATC, and proximity to Washington DC for your flight home.

Under this option, you hike in the spring and watch the forest come alive with flowers and then trees. You also hike in fall foliage. And you miss the worst of the heat & humidity.

Your first month would be lonely - you may not meet any hikers except on weekends. Some hostels might be closed. And much of Shenandoah NP is still closed for the season. But you'll have shelters to yourself for those rainy nights (and there will be cold rain at times). You'll eventually meet the NOBOs for some socialization, but you're not hiking in a pack.

Images

Another, maybe already suggested, option is to start at Harper's Ferry around May 1, hiking Nobo. That would put you at Katahdin around the end of July. Then get a bus south to DC and catch the train back to HF and begin hiking Sobo. With this itinerary, you will avoid the worst of the black flies in Maine and enjoy the changing fall colors in the south. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is encouraging such alternative itineraries and even have a "kick off" at HF. You would likely have some company, but could have as much solitude as you want. One of the advantages of the HF location is that it has multiple trains from DC.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

wanna be hiker trash

I am considering doing a non traditional hike. Starting NB in April, at the PA/NJ line, and getting ahead of the mobs. I live close by in NJ, to the water gap.
    Once I get to Katahdin, I can take a bus home, and then head south. Even though I am in pretty good shape, I am no spring chicken, and don't think starting in Maine is a recipe for success.
    I am just getting a nagging feeling that it won't be the same if I don't start at 1 end or the other.
    Another thought is to just leave earlier than most and freezing my butt for a few weeks. I can always send the extra gear home once it warms up.

The fastest and/or earliest flip-floppers are starting to return to Harpers Ferry. One who started in Harpers Ferry the day of the kick off (May 3) said these things:

I was happy I was a flip-flopper
    Being ahead of the bubble was a blessing
    There were flowers the whole way
    I was well-received at Baxter because the park recognized that my hike was designed to help alleviate overcrowding

All of the returning flip-floppers I've seen have been happy with their choice.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few who had physical issues that took them off the Trail. Some of those medical issues were pre-existing, some developed or got worse along the way.

Some hikers, especially the older ones, have emphasized how very hard the hike was. (But this is a common theme we see in 2,000-miler reports from hikers of all ages: "It was harder than I thought it would be - but more rewarding.")

Maryland and southern PA may be easier than other parts of the A.T., but it's still hard when carrying a pack is not second nature. The rocks of PA are hard too. And the climbs in New York. This year there were record rains in Massachusetts and Vermont. And of course, New Hampshire and Maine are the hardest states of all. The northern "half" from Harpers Ferry starts out with what is debatably the 100 easiest miles of the A.T., but overall, the northern "half" is probably harder than the southern "half."

One thing I heard that I had not anticipated is that even though most of the flippers were early in the northbound thru-hiker stream in the Whites, they had a lot of competition from sobos for work-for-stay at the huts.

A young hiker started in Connecticut in late April northbound and enjoyed his hike, but when he returned to the Trail in Connecticut to hike southbound he was pretty lonely. He originally was planning to hike southbound, but Baxter was still closed when he decided to make a change of plans.

Cookerhiker--starting in Harpers Ferry and hiking southbound definitely has advantages. It helps reduce crowding at Springer, but ATC isn't encouraging it in a big way. The reason is that if it became popular, there would be a big collision when these hikers passed the nobos. This plan seems to work best for couples or people who really enjoy being alone. Even though you would see people (and some days would probably pass 100 nobos in the peak of the bubble) there are very few people to actually share the journey with for any length of time. But I've certainly talked to some who've done this variation and loved it.

Laurie P.

The fastest and/or earliest flip-floppers are starting to return to Harpers Ferry. One who started in Harpers Ferry the day of the kick off (May 3) said these things:

I was well-received at Baxter because the park recognized that my hike was designed to help alleviate overcrowding

Thanks Laurie

Heard similar stories from the three flip floppers I met in GSMNP on the AT over the last two days. All had started doing a NOBO from Harpers Ferry hiking to Mt Katahdin and then flipping back to HF to head SOBO to Springer Mt. All were in great spirits and happy with their flip flopping choices.

Like the TRAIL KARMA program too. Hope it takes off.

wanna be hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

Laurie P.
    Thank You so much Laurie P. for this invaluable information. If this strategy for a thru hike is what is in the best interest of the ATC, and everyone else on, or involved with the AT, then I will seriously consider, and most likely use the "Flip Flop" plan, as my model for my thru hike.

My GF is an introvert, too. She loves her hamster ball. People drain her. She wants to hike the AT, but she doesn't like people, although she enjoys listening to me talk to hikers we meet on the trail her plan is to start in Harpers Ferry in late April, hike North to Katahdin, no hurry to finish before snow falls. Then go back to HF and hike South to Springer. The bubble should be thinned out by the time it passes us up North and not many hikers down South.

Journal Entries

Default Vid?

Quote Originally Posted by heckyesnugent View Post
    Can I ask what video you watched? I would like to see it for myself as well.

I second this I am interested in seeing this video as well.

-

feb 15 springer start puts one well away from any crowds, but usually not completely alone - some should be at any pace, and fast folks will catch up, but pass through - around april 1 at HF may see some early nobo flippers, but you will likely be faster - whites will be the first busy spot in early summer - july 4 would be a reasonable finish

you will have to start with winter gear and anticipate some challenging days but in my experience 1 in 3 days before HP will be in shorts
    all in all not a bad compromise IMO for having the trail mostly to yourself

I gotta say, I see the appeal of an alternative thru, but I know I have one shot to do this AT thru-hike, and because of that, I want to give myself as much wiggle room for injury as possible.

Starting in March and heading North gives me so many choices if I get injured on the way North. Even up to two months off trail, and I could flip up to Katahdin and go South. Starting in May for a flip flop, or starting in June for a SoBo, eliminates or greatly complicates those options.

I acknowledge that this is greedy of me, but at the end of the day, I want to successfully complete an AT thru. I'm going to do everything I can to make that happen. Heading North is logical.

I'll practice LNT and be a responsible hiker while heading north, though! (I'm not a party animal by any stretch of the imagination.)
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

Journal Entries

Planning and gearing up for a 2016 flip flop from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin then back to Harpers Ferry to Springer.
    I am humbled by the difficulties some of the 2015 Flip Floppers have had but I'm not detoured. Will really take it slow and steady or as the trail dictates.
    I read the entire 2015 flip Floppers Unite thread. Would love to hear news of 2015 Flip Floppers. Danger Dave how are you? How many finishers do we have?
    My husband and I plan to make reservation at Harpers Ferry as soon as the official 2016 Flip Flop Kick Off date Is set. Anyone else out there with similar plans? HazBen and TowSack

Do you have a link to the video? How bad was it?

Klynn, if you're still checking, I proposed the following alternative to a previous thru hiker: SOBO from VT for 2 months to point "B," then SOBO from Katahdin to starting point, then SOBO from "B" to Springer. There are travel logistics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++